SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Efficient Cold Box Packing

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bob_walden 
#1 ·
I heard a great tip this past week I thought I would pass along: some friends we chartered with mentioned that they used to go RV''ing with other friends in British Colombia, who would use bread loaf pans as "moulds" when freezing meat or other to-be-frozen stuff at home into indentically-shaped blocks, which makes packing a freezer or icebox much easier and more efficient.

Plus, you can organize your meals into "blocks", and fill in any empty space per block with extra water to fill voids with more ice. You wind up with almost no airspaces in the packed food, so much slower thawing, and you can pull out a day''s worth of food in one or more blocks, ready to defrost and use.

I''ll be trying this out on our next long-term charter.

bw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.