Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: The lonely Avacodo...

My wife saw this thread and commented that ripe avocodo whipped with honey tastes very good on toasted bread and what one doesn't eat can be used as a "face mask" to treat wind burned skin. (I guess that's what my daughter must have been using it for when she was just a munchkin because she certainly managed to get it all over her face!)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Cut in half, remove pit, )
Fill with a dollup of Hellmans and maybe some popcorn shrimp.

THEN eat with a spoon ;
Old 03-18-2013

Yofy is on a distinguished road

For Denise: a confession
The first time I was introduced to avacado I thought it was awful. It was an avacado and shrimp salad (but I must admidt that it was new year's eve and I was twenty something and quite pissed). I didn't touch them again for years.

Then I met Manny and he introduced me to the avacado sandwich. His secret was that you have to use salt. It worked and I've been hooked ever since.
Robyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yofy; 03-18-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: forgot my name
Old 03-18-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

My wife recently read to me that avocados along with pears and bananas do not ripen on the tree, only after they are picked. So we have started a new routine and purchase only green avocados - often in a bag of ten - put some in the refer and some in the fruit bowl so that we always have a ripe fruit for however we plan to use it.
We always buy Haas avocados, those alligator pears from Florida just don't have the flavor we crave.
These three fruits will ripen more rapidly in a container, doesn't have to be a paper bag.
A day without avocados is like a day without wine is like a day without sunshine.
Old 03-18-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road

Denise,

Here's another strange but tasty concoction:

Slices of avocado, a slice of cheese or two, and fresh whole basil leaves when in season.

All of the above in a whole wheat or rye sandwich.

I'm not an earthy/crunchy guy but I believe in healthy living. Somehow I found this very

satisfying. Mmmmm!
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Just had a salad the other day that had avacado wedges alternated with grapefruit wedges over a bed of arugala and a vinaigrette over. The grapefruit wedges were cut, so a fork would easily break them up, not the natural peeled wedges. Good.

While I like avacado, I agree they seem very expensive for what you get. I have to be in the mood or I just think they cost too much. My wife, on the other hand, loves them at any cost. Guess how often we have them.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

While I like the taste of an avacado...I do not like their texture..Ill give mine to Minnies wife

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Guacamole is by far and away their best use. It can be customized and made to your specific taste. I like half an avocado mashed virtually into paste and the other half diced and stirred in, which breaks down a bit, but leaves some texture. I dislike the full baby food style. The rest of the onion, jalapeño, diced tomato, lime, cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper are strictly to taste, you can't really screw it up. Garlic works, you can even add beans if you like.
DRFerron likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-19-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I saw a food show a couple years ago that said avocados from the Bahamas are much more buttery than Haas and larger. Anyone eaten these? Worth tracking down? I've never seen them in my local Wegmans.

Maybe I'll just have to go to the Bahamas.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-19-2013

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road

My way is cut caados in quarters, a dash of salt, peel back the skin and take medium size bites.
Another way i do, toast two slice of bread (pumpernickel is my thing)daub one slice with a generous amount of mustard of any kind topped with haves of caados, sprinkle of salt and hot pepper cover with other slice bread give a gentle press and whalla a very delish sandwich, you can add cheese if you like but i find the cheese tend to be too slippery on the caados.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.