The lonely Avacodo... - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 07-26-2013

I make avacodo salsa. Diced avacodo, tomato, onion. Mix with lime juice, cumin and cilantro. Serve as a dip or on top of grilled fish....yum.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 07-26-2013

Re: The lonely Avacodo...

We buy rock-hard avocados at Costco, keep them in the refrigerator, but place one at a time outside the refrigerator in a bag until they soften -- they last a week or two this way.
post #43 of 47 Old 07-26-2013
Old enough to know better

I like to get the Florida Avocados that have smooth skin (verses the Hass that have wrinkled skin) and de-seed and skin then slice them and add them to soup just before serving. Yummy with a spicy chicken soup. I will server them on the side of most any dish, and better with pork chops than apple sauce. One thing about the Florida Avocados is they do not make great Guacamole, as they kind of separate when you mash them. They not as creamy as the Hass.
post #44 of 47 Old 07-26-2013
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Thread resurrected after three months. Not as good as three days but such it is.

Chef Dave reckons the crinkly Avocados but I'm with Miata, the smooth skinned variety are my preference though they are not as hardy as the crinkly.

Avocado and crispy bacon. Simply halve the Avo and fill with bacon, smidgeon of Worcester sauce and Tabasco doesn't hurt. Someone else already mentioned shrimp.

Favourite for us is sour dough toast with avo, tomato and fresh chopped basil.

When my weight sends me off on a raw veggie/fruit lunch regime I'm partial to Avo/Carrot/Celery salad, drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, freshly ground black pepper. Hold the beer.

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #45 of 47 Old 07-27-2013
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
they make some great savory ice cream too
My wife makes a mean avocado and mango frozen dessert. I think just avocado, mango, and a little cream whipped together and put in the freezer in a ziplock until firm. Delish. She learned it from her Filipino friends.

Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #46 of 47 Old 07-27-2013
Somewhat Senior Member

Five pages and no one mentioned a breakfast favorite aboard Rhythm. Ripe avocado halved as described, use a spoon to scrape out some of the flesh making a larger hole in the avocado half. Into this well break an egg. Bake at 375 degrees about 20-minutes until egg is set. Sprinkle with bacon bits (the real ones people) and enjoy. A crunchy slice of toast is a perfect accompaniment. Hot sauce optional. (tip, you may need to make a small slice on the bottom of the avocado so it will rest on the baking pan without tipping.)

s/v Rhythm
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
post #47 of 47 Old 07-27-2013

Avocado, bacon cheese omellete for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.