SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The lonely Avacodo...

8K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  aeventyr60 
#1 ·
It's a total mystery to me! I see then sitting there in the produce section.. many are mushy... I have to admit I really don't know what to do with the green within fruit. Does it have a place in my kitchen or my boat galley?:confused:

#31 ·
My wife saw this thread and commented that ripe avocodo whipped with honey tastes very good on toasted bread and what one doesn't eat can be used as a "face mask" to treat wind burned skin. (I guess that's what my daughter must have been using it for when she was just a munchkin because she certainly managed to get it all over her face!)

FWIW...

#33 · (Edited)
For Denise: a confession
The first time I was introduced to avacado I thought it was awful. It was an avacado and shrimp salad (but I must admidt that it was new year's eve and I was twenty something and quite pissed). I didn't touch them again for years.

Then I met Manny and he introduced me to the avacado sandwich. His secret was that you have to use salt. It worked and I've been hooked ever since.
Robyn

#34 ·
My wife recently read to me that avocados along with pears and bananas do not ripen on the tree, only after they are picked. So we have started a new routine and purchase only green avocados - often in a bag of ten - put some in the refer and some in the fruit bowl so that we always have a ripe fruit for however we plan to use it.
We always buy Haas avocados, those alligator pears from Florida just don't have the flavor we crave.
These three fruits will ripen more rapidly in a container, doesn't have to be a paper bag.
A day without avocados is like a day without wine is like a day without sunshine.

#35 ·
Denise,

Here's another strange but tasty concoction:

Slices of avocado, a slice of cheese or two, and fresh whole basil leaves when in season.

All of the above in a whole wheat or rye sandwich.

I'm not an earthy/crunchy guy but I believe in healthy living. Somehow I found this very

satisfying. Mmmmm!

#36 ·
Just had a salad the other day that had avacado wedges alternated with grapefruit wedges over a bed of arugala and a vinaigrette over. The grapefruit wedges were cut, so a fork would easily break them up, not the natural peeled wedges. Good.

While I like avacado, I agree they seem very expensive for what you get. I have to be in the mood or I just think they cost too much. My wife, on the other hand, loves them at any cost. Guess how often we have them. :)

#38 ·
Guacamole is by far and away their best use. It can be customized and made to your specific taste. I like half an avocado mashed virtually into paste and the other half diced and stirred in, which breaks down a bit, but leaves some texture. I dislike the full baby food style. The rest of the onion, jalapeño, diced tomato, lime, cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper are strictly to taste, you can't really screw it up. Garlic works, you can even add beans if you like.

#39 ·
I saw a food show a couple years ago that said avocados from the Bahamas are much more buttery than Haas and larger. Anyone eaten these? Worth tracking down? I've never seen them in my local Wegmans.

Maybe I'll just have to go to the Bahamas.

#40 ·
My way is cut caados in quarters, a dash of salt, peel back the skin and take medium size bites.
Another way i do, toast two slice of bread (pumpernickel is my thing)daub one slice with a generous amount of mustard of any kind topped with haves of caados, sprinkle of salt and hot pepper cover with other slice bread give a gentle press and whalla a very delish sandwich, you can add cheese if you like but i find the cheese tend to be too slippery on the caados.

#43 ·
I like to get the Florida Avocados that have smooth skin (verses the Hass that have wrinkled skin) and de-seed and skin then slice them and add them to soup just before serving. Yummy with a spicy chicken soup. I will server them on the side of most any dish, and better with pork chops than apple sauce. One thing about the Florida Avocados is they do not make great Guacamole, as they kind of separate when you mash them. They not as creamy as the Hass.

#44 ·
Thread resurrected after three months. Not as good as three days but such it is.

Chef Dave reckons the crinkly Avocados but I'm with Miata, the smooth skinned variety are my preference though they are not as hardy as the crinkly.

Avocado and crispy bacon. Simply halve the Avo and fill with bacon, smidgeon of Worcester sauce and Tabasco doesn't hurt. Someone else already mentioned shrimp.

Favourite for us is sour dough toast with avo, tomato and fresh chopped basil.

When my weight sends me off on a raw veggie/fruit lunch regime I'm partial to Avo/Carrot/Celery salad, drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, freshly ground black pepper. Hold the beer.

#46 ·
Five pages and no one mentioned a breakfast favorite aboard Rhythm. Ripe avocado halved as described, use a spoon to scrape out some of the flesh making a larger hole in the avocado half. Into this well break an egg. Bake at 375 degrees about 20-minutes until egg is set. Sprinkle with bacon bits (the real ones people) and enjoy. A crunchy slice of toast is a perfect accompaniment. Hot sauce optional. (tip, you may need to make a small slice on the bottom of the avocado so it will rest on the baking pan without tipping.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.