SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The lonely Avacodo...

8K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  aeventyr60 
#1 ·
It's a total mystery to me! I see then sitting there in the produce section.. many are mushy... I have to admit I really don't know what to do with the green within fruit. Does it have a place in my kitchen or my boat galley?:confused:

#2 ·
Oh my gosh. We LOVE fresh guacamole and wine after we're anchored and settled in. It's a meal all by itself. Contrary to what people think, green means not ripe. You want dark purple with a slight give to the skin. Putting it in the fridge slows down the ripening if you aren't quite ready to use them. I found that out from watching a cooking show and it works. Otherwise, I plan to buy so they get used within a day.

John also likes to eat them plain except with a drizzle of olive oil.

Reactions: mdi and OffWeGo
#3 · (Edited)
The trick to avacados is the ripeness

I always try and buy Haas avacados. A ripe avacado will be a darker purplish green. It will have some give when you presh in on the skin, but will not be mushy. Avacados ripe at room temp. If you want to slow the ripening process put oin a refrigerator.

To cut one, wash the skin place on a paper towel and cut the whole circumfrence with a sharp knife down to the pit. Cut all the way around. grap the two pieces in either hand and twist. The avacado comes apart, one with the seed the other without it. Take the seed out with a spoon or pop your chefs knife it it and lift out. If it is properly ripe the skin pulls away, or you can run a large spoon next to the flesh and the skin, or you can skin with a paring knife. Slice and cube according to what you want then

Spray with olive oil and grill quickly with grilled golden pineapple rings if you want to try it a different way than most
'

Dave

#6 ·
Fool-Proof Guacamole

For each small ripe avocado:
1/4 of a medium onion, minced
1/2 of a tomato or less (one roma is plenty), minced
one jalepeno pepper, deveined, seeded, and minced
a whisper of salt (optional)

Blend together in a bowl to desired consistency. Serve however you like - atop burritos, inside omelettes, or the typical ways.

#8 ·
I never know how to pick one that's not bruised.

However, once the admiral picks one out, I use a knife - not a sharp one, but a stainless steel knife that you would find in any kitchen - to cut the long way around the avacado, and reveal the pit. I then take the knife, and whack the blade into the pit so that it looks like a hand on a clock. I then rotate the knife, like a hand on a clock, and the pit comes out clean and easy. (I learned this by watching sushi chefs) If I quarter the fruit, I find that I can easily peel the skin off by hand.

My favorite way to eat is to quarter the avacado, and shake Tobasco on it... Yum!

#10 ·
Guac is always good, but simple is always good too! Slice the avocado into slivers and sprinkle with a dash of salt, toast some fresh Italian bread. Piece of warm toasty bread with ripe avocado on top, yum! Also amazing diced on top of gazpacho!

#11 ·
Anger Management Mayo substitute:
dice a ripe avocado, toss it in a bowl, add a little lime juice, some Old Bay, a couple of cloves of garlic (minced, pressed, whatever, generally beat the hell out of it) some chopped fresh cilantro, attack the ingredients with a spurtle or big wooden spoon until it is creamy and whimpering.

Use it on sammiches in the place of mayo.

#14 ·
Are you kidding???? Avacados are a staple on Yofy. We eat them on toast:
toast a slice of bread, rub it with garlic, spread it with mashed ripe avacado, sprinkle it with salt and pepper and dig in. mmm.

The best sandwich that I ever ate was avacado, bacon and tomato. Better than a BLT any day.

We put avacado slices in our salads, make spreads and dips with avacado as a base and yes I even have a recipe for chocolate mouse made with avacado instead of eggs.

Its a mighty fruit!
Robyn

#17 ·
Growing up my mother did a salad with grapefruit wedges, avocado slices on Boston lettuce, with Marzetti's Country French dressing. I think it is the only thing we ever used the dressing for, and it just seemed to go together well. Very simple. One of the few salad's I ever ate as a child.

#22 ·
Denise! I am shocked! I thought you so adventurous!

After removing the pit, fill with french dressing; eat.

I also love to fill the "pit hole" with prawns and "thousand island sauce" (in my case ketchup, mayo, cayenne, dash of tabasco). Simple and delicious starter!

Slice up and put on the top of salads.

And as others have said, on toast, Guac (of course).

Mozarella Tricolore - in honor of the Italian flag (green white red) - Slice of Avacado, slice of Mozarella, slice of tomato (repeat)

I *love* avacados!

#19 ·
Aboard our boat, Astraea they're the great to keep around when bought green by the bag. We go through avocado feasts and famines. When they're aboard they're great for a meal of guacamole, sliced thinly and put on sandwiches, or mashed up and spread on toast with salt, pepper and lemon juice for breakfast.

We found out the hard way NOT to store them with bananas because the bananas ripen almost instantaneously, so be careful when storing your new provisions!

#23 ·
I posted this before I think.

Fast, healthy, great tasting, easy (even under sail);

Buy a tub of "fresh" pre-made salsa from the produce section. Chop up an fresh avocado or three and mix it up. Makes a huge bowl of Guacamole.

Only mix enough for each sitting and it will taste better.

Yes, it's better to do it from scratch. But this way there is very little clean up and if you are sailing away for the weekend simply pack a couple of tubs and a half dozen Hass avocados, you are set for the weekend.

Great on bagels in the morning :)

#24 ·
Reporting back! LOL.. I made a simple tomato, cucumber, and avacodo salad. It's good! I did try some pieces "straight" eh.. it's ok. kind of buttery nuty flavored. I like it! won't say I love it though. they's not cheap for sure.

#25 ·
They very in price a lot, depending on time of year, and also location. I find that ethnic markets tend to have them much cheaper, and often higher quality. I prefer the larger "Florida" avocados, it has firmer texture though it is not as good in guacamole. When you have them around you will find endless uses. They make a great garnish for soups, and awesome on just about any sandwich.

#26 ·
Ripe avocado whipped up with a little lemon juice and salt makes an excellent substitute for Mayo on sandwiches, particularly Tuna!

Reactions: Ajax_MD
#30 ·
Definitely read this yesterday, went to the store and got 2 avocados, made a carne asade burrito with avocado and hot sauce last night. One more left for when I get home today.

The most common complaint I hear is the texture of eating it. Secondly is the short shelf-life. Other than that I could never get sick of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.