Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2004

agoodman is on a distinguished road
2nd day meals

I am looking for a meal that we can serve on the second day of a race. We have a cooler and a stove on board. A good meal cold would be prefered but we could fire up the stove. I think the crew is getting tired of cold two day old pizza.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2004

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
2nd day meals

Here are a few ideas:
I find that grilled shrimp hold up very well for several days in a cooler. I season them well (old bay, garlic, olive oil) grill them, let them cool then throw them in a resealable plastic bag. These can then be tossed with some romaine lettuce (also holds up for days) , ceaser dressing and shaved parmesan. Toss with some tri-color rotelli? Pasta, bottled artichoke hearts and a light Italian dressing. Toss with some crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and penne rigatti pasta (heated) If you want something more along the lines of a sandwich, try the first variatiion in a wrap... or mix them with a good quality cole-slaw (not runny) and wrap...

I could probably go on and on, but you get the idea…

Enjoy,
Carlos
Old 06-17-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd day meals

Geez, now I''m starving and I have a long wait ''til lunch.

Just in case you''re interested in a dessert type option also, the wraps do nicely for this also...spread one of the yogurt spreads on the wrap (I like the strawberry myself) and then fill with fresh fruit...or spread peanut butter and stuff with bananas drizzled with chocolate syrup.

Now, I''m really gonna be hungry all day! LOL

bobbi
Old 06-17-2004

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
2nd day meals

I spend a few days with the slowcooker before heading off: chili and stews, cut the stew stuff up small. Put it into Ziploc bags in the cooler, can be thawed or heated depending on its state, serve with buns & butter, in a mug with a spoon--eat anywhere, little to clean up. Ribsticking and welcome. But needs a little preplanning. Can''t live without my slowcookers, we make all sorts of prepared foods in them, plug them in on the way to work and they''re done when you get home. cool, bag, and load it up again. When you head off just hit up the freezer and take what you need.
Old 06-25-2005

Johnno is on a distinguished road
2nd day meals

Hi,

Nobody has mentioned pressure cookers I notice.

Pressure cookers are not only the microwave of the cruiser but also a way of sealing food from the previous day so that it keeps in a safe manner. Just seal it up when under pressure and it is like canning the previous meal.

Everyone should have a pressure cooker!!!!

Old 07-25-2005

jared is on a distinguished road
2nd day meals

Try making a pot of stew, coq au vin, or chicken and rice, or any other similar dish that freezes well. Then deep freeze it prior to the race. This becomes "block ice" that will help keep the cooler chilled, while not defrosting till the second day. Then you pull it out onto a stove pot, and finish defrosting/reheating it.
Old 05-07-2006

TalbotUK is on a distinguished road
true second day stuff is where you make enough on day 1 to last 2 days. Curry helps to preserve the meat, thus makes an ideal 2 or more day meal - just dont use too much chile
Old 05-07-2006

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
The iceblocks I use in the cooler are those rectangualr plastic take-away containers. I usually fill them with one of my walk-across-the-surface-of thick soups. Pumkin and bacon is a favourite as is the mushroom and parsley, which gets frozen as a cooked down base form and then reheated with the addition of either milk or sour cream (sour cream keeps well). One tub of this conentrate feeds four people handsomely once made up and is very easy to do in race conditions and can be drunk mostly one handed if the boat is really bashing along.

One pot, no mess.

Sasha
Old 09-14-2006
Jeff at SmartCaptain.com

SmartCaptain is on a distinguished road
My crew all loves lasagna for a 2nd or 3rd day meal. Make them at home, precook them, then freeze. On the boat they act as an ice block in your cooler, then are easy to pop in the oven for reheating. You can also reheat them slowly in a frying pan with a foil cover.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

www.smartcaptiain.com
Old 04-05-2008
It'll kill ya

Widowmaker is on a distinguished road
Texas Frito Pie

Layer chili sauce with meat (hormel is good), fritos and cheddar or mozza cheese in a deep pan or pot. Do this two or three times, then heat! No cooking required. Antacids are.