Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Gettin' closer to havin' a crew, so we may be on the starting line yet!

Gratuitous rant follows:

Just took a look at details on the Racers dinner. Safe to say you won't find the Skipper of Palmetto Moon there, if we are able to finish this race.

$55 a head? For BBQ and Fried Chicken? Seriously? Does everyone get a handle of Rum on the way in or what?

And $180 for for the barely furnished townhouse you are only allowed 4 people in? Won't be making that mistake again this year.

I guess I'm feelin' the squeeze these days, cause these prices seem ludicrous to me.

End rant mode:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I have been informed that St. Mary's has a different president, and this may play into these changes. Not sure.

First, my understanding is that there will still be other food available other than the $55/head dinner.

Second, $180/4 = $45 per head. It's not great, but not terrible either. If temperatures moderate, you could sleep on your boat.

I have a friendly local who's putting me up for the night, so I'm not paying any of these expenses.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-17-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

The $180 for a house isn't bad. It's convenient and easy to plan. The $55 for dinner is high, unless they're going back to the fancy food they used to have. The breakfast at the church is worth the price. And it's for a good cause.

The townhouses you can cook in, so you could eat there if you have a lot of crew. They also have dorm rooms which I think aren't as nice for $90/pair. It's the only game in town though, they don't gouge you too much.

My complaint is that it's spread out too much. Even the main tent there was barely anyone there after racing. Lots of people still sleeping, and the steel drums just needed to stop. Honestly, I have more fun during the raft up on the race boats than on shore. For smaller regattas, they cram everyone into a tent or local area so it's easier to find your friends and meet people. ARW and Screwpile have great parties, SBRW is the same. One central location for all racers. Helps the party mood.
Old 07-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
The $180 for a house isn't bad. It's convenient and easy to plan. The $55 for dinner is high, unless they're going back to the fancy food they used to have. The breakfast at the church is worth the price. And it's for a good cause.

The townhouses you can cook in, so you could eat there if you have a lot of crew. They also have dorm rooms which I think aren't as nice for $90/pair. It's the only game in town though, they don't gouge you too much.

My complaint is that it's spread out too much. Even the main tent there was barely anyone there after racing. Lots of people still sleeping, and the steel drums just needed to stop. Honestly, I have more fun during the raft up on the race boats than on shore. For smaller regattas, they cram everyone into a tent or local area so it's easier to find your friends and meet people. ARW and Screwpile have great parties, SBRW is the same. One central location for all racers. Helps the party mood.
I paid for a townhouse the first year I did Gov Cup and stand by my assertion they kinda suck. There wasn't even a decent place to sit on the lower level and the bedrooms weren't much. I'd feel it were a better deal if they allowed you to offer space to crash to your whole crew. An Aerobed on the floor would be better than the beds that are there.

Also, on the lines of your its too spread out complaint, it sux having 4 of your crew in one place, and 1 or 2 more somewhere else, if the crew wants to get a cool nights sleep before heading home on the delivery.

Re: the steel drums I think you've identified a primary reason no one is under/around the tent.

I'm still a few bodies short of what I'd like though I have a bare minimum so I haven't registered yet, but if we do race we'll probably do like last year and head over to Point Lookout marina for some AC to run the AC and sleep on the boat.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 07-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

We're not racing this year. My crew fell apart - one with a blown shoulder, one recovering from multiple back surgeries, another healing from knee replacement. I had the former skipper of a Naval Academy Annapolis-Bermuda winner signed up, but he bought a boat and will be moving it that weekend. My foredeck guy is on business travel that week and my tactician isn't answering email or voicemail. So it's me, Vicky, and one of our drivers. I can't do Gov Cup with 3 on a 38' PHRF B boat. I'm really bummed since we've done it the last 5 years and had been improving.

We hadn't even planned to go ashore this year - just drop off crew and get out. The shuttle last year was abysmal - it took forever to get ashore and as long to get back out. And the food that's on my boat is better that what they have in the 3 trailers parked in the road.

I liked the tracker, it really helped us do better knowing what everyone else was doing. I call it "training". They kept us from heading off into the hinterlands with a "better idea". I didn't like when service went down - I would really have liked to identify the gray sailed boat with no running lights that came out of the darkness and almost caused us to do an emergency tack. Would have protested him if I could see a name or sail number or get the data from the tracker.

BTW - The photo for my avatar was taken at the start of last year's race. Love that picture.

Mark

Last edited by Sabreman; 07-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I'm starting a new job and this will be my first one missed in 5 years as well. Unless I can convince them to let me go. I would like to do it on a sled one time. Maybe Donny needs a helping hand.....
Old 07-17-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

We're signed up. I'm happy that they are doing the dinner again this year. Yeah, it's $55per head, but in years past, the food was pretty good, and my crew is likely to get their $55 out of the open bar alone.

I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis. They could have a send off party the night before the race in St. Mary's, and then have a real throw-down in Annapolis after the race. Having the race finish in Annapolis would allow the Governor to participate, allow "civilians" to get involved, and allow for friends and family to particiapte. Seems to me that necessary exposure is in Annapolis, not in sleepy little St. Mary's.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 07-17-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
We're signed up. I'm happy that they are doing the dinner again this year. Yeah, it's $55per head, but in years past, the food was pretty good, and my crew is likely to get their $55 out of the open bar alone.

I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis. They could have a send off party the night before the race in St. Mary's, and then have a real throw-down in Annapolis after the race. Having the race finish in Annapolis would allow the Governor to participate, allow "civilians" to get involved, and allow for friends and family to particiapte. Seems to me that necessary exposure is in Annapolis, not in sleepy little St. Mary's.
Hmmmmm. There is merit to this idea. People may frown on tampering too much with tradition, however. Another idea would be for them to host another race, starting from St. Mary's or to alternate directions each year.

Hey, I didn't know that $55 included an open bar!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-17-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've suggested to the race committee that they consider reversing the race course: starting in St. Mary's and finishing in Annapolis.
That's an interesting idea, I like it. I'd do it. But the committee would have to really build it up - not something that a small private college does routinely. Of course, Annapolis has an endless series of races and this one could be viewed as "just another race". But having a blowout party in one of my favorite places has it's merit.

Annapolis is interesting - I can have a boat designed, sails made, rigging done, but buy boat supplies downtown? Nah. Ice - sure, go to the ice cream store and get in line. And then there is the worst marina on the Bay, centrally located at City Dock. Annapolis is a fun place to visit, but cruising amenities are short anywhere other than Eastport. Odd.
Old 07-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Hmmmmm. There is merit to this idea. People may frown on tampering too much with tradition, however. Another idea would be for them to host another race, starting from St. Mary's or to alternate directions each year.

Hey, I didn't know that $55 included an open bar!
Yeah, that would make a bit of difference but the website does not mention that. Just smoked pork, fried chicken and potato salad. Open bar makes a big difference -- but I still won't be there.