Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Sounds like you're in good company, but the inexperienced, hubby/wife team is a bit of a question mark. I've seen that go awry.
Inexperienced racers maybe, but not inexperienced sailors. They've crewed with me before and are pretty good sailors. They have their own boat and have been in the Chessy chop like the rest of us. Only thing they don't have is over night experience and the only way to get that is go get it like they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

I think he was refering to husbands and wives sailing together in general. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-02-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

Looks like the START will be good sailing at least...
Hopefully we'll get in before the wind turns off in the AM. One advantage of being in the A2 fleet.

Quote:
ANZ532-022000-
CHESAPEAKE BAY FROM SANDY POINT TO NORTH BEACH-
731 AM EDT FRI AUG 2 2013

TODAY
N WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING S 10 TO 15 KT THIS AFTERNOON.
WAVES 1 TO 2 FT.

TONIGHT
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WAVES 1 FT.
Old 08-02-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

I'll be on Arriba, but will have my "The Office" hat on ashore. Say hello if you get a chance.

Joel
The Office
Old 08-02-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

What boat are you on Dave?
Old 08-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

So...for the B-fleet, here's how it panned out:

As expected, the forecast completely underestimated the intensity of the breeze. That has been true, nearly all summer. This doesn't surprise me, because the Chesapeake is well known for its summer doldrums. This has been a pleasantly odd summer, with fresh breezes and much cooler temperatures.

The breeze started off from due south at 12-15kts true, kicking up a very un-loved chop, but we soldiered on because this is the norm.

The skipper had a thought about staying west, but changed his mind around Bloody Point Lighthouse, so we sailed back east.

We tacked away from Poplar Island, and from that point, the breeze was more SW, and we were able to sail close-hauled or close-reaching all the way down to the Potomac River. The water lay down a good bit, the motion was easy and comfortable. The moon was absent, but the stars and Milky Way were out in all their glory, being far away from light pollution. Shooting stars and luminescent jellies were pleasant companions.

From Point No Point, to Point Lookout, the breeze began to falter a bit, so we played with all kinds of gear to keep the sails powered up and keep the boat moving. We were all starting to get a bit fatigued, and slow to react by this point.

As we sailed into the Potomac, the wind clocked more WSW so any hope of the usual spinnaker finish was put to bed. We had to make a quick stitch around the St. Mary's River channel buoy, and sailed up that river.

One mile from the finish line, as the sky turned pink, the breeze shut down.
There was a large glut of boats all stalled mere yards from the finish line. Our driver managed to find a zephyr and skirted the entire group, finishing on the committee boat end of the line, ahead of nearly a dozen boats.

We finished squarely in the middle of the pack of 17 boats. Respectable, but not outstanding. All boats raced, and there were no "ghosts" on the score sheet.

The "regulars" in the crew worked hard, and all night long as usual. We had a couple of newcomers who ran out of steam and spent a long while crashed out below. Ces't la vie.

We had plenty of good food and beverages for the entire race. St. Mary's College of Maryland welcomed us with open arms. They provide a water-taxi, breakfast, a gorgeous environment to relax in afterwards. Our crew merged with another boat for a grill-up at the college townhouses after the race with delicious sausages, margaritas and dark 'n stormy's. Par-tay.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-04-2013

Yeah, we were in that pileup and finished just in front of you. Like seconds ahead! Would have been really cool if we hadn't all just spent an HOUR clawing our way in.

Got a good start and were actually ahead of the NAVY boys for oh, about 25 min, then they did a horizon job on the fleet. Our rating is just about impossible to sail to but we had a great night. Cool, but not so cool as to need a jacket or fleece, breezy but not so much that we were pounding. Really more boats need to do this race. Esp. since they moved the start time for the slower classes to 3pm.

We were ALL SET to pop the symmetrical when we turned up the St. Mary's and all of a sudden we got headed. I checked the wind and called for a change to the asym. Me and the new bowman that is replacing me scrambled and got the asym hooked up just seconds after rounding the mark and by then we were almost beating. Never did fly the sucker. Just goes to show how quickly things can change.

I may even put my boat in the cruising class next year and take on my Wed night racing opponents!
Old 08-05-2013

Just looked at the results. 12 boats finished in less than a 2 min time period. From 6:58:36 to 7:00:34! Spread over 5 classes.

Rejoyce, Elan, Bad Cat, Widowmaker, Lady Grey, Beyond the Sea, 8th Deadly Sin, Orion, Himmel, Resolute, JAZZ, Cookie.
Old 08-05-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Just looked at the results. 12 boats finished in less than a 2 min time period. From 6:58:36 to 7:00:34! Spread over 5 classes.

Rejoyce, Elan, Bad Cat, Widowmaker, Lady Grey, Beyond the Sea, 8th Deadly Sin, Orion, Himmel, Resolute, JAZZ, Cookie.
Jazz was originally listed as DNC in the preliminary results. Now they've bumped us down one spot. Bummer.

I have photos of the finish, taken from right next to the cross at Cross Point. I'll link them when I have a chance.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Well we finished in the bottom third of our fleet, but "woulda', coulda', shoulda''" finished more like mid pack. We were right there with the middle of our fleet right up to the St. Mary's mark at which point my tracker conveniently disappeared I assume due to my cell phone battery giving up. That would prevent anyone from watching the replay from seeing what I'm going to confess. We tried squeezing between a boat ahead and Chancellor Point and didn't make it. I join the elite ranks of skippers that have run aground within site of the Dove.

The entire crew went into emergency mode to douse the aysm and switch into "what now mode". Between backwinding and kedging we got ourselves spun around and free in what seemed like only a few minutes, but I expect might have been more like 1/2 hour or more.

Still it was a fantastic ride down the Bay and I achieved the goal of seeing the sunrise on the stern rather than the port side and gained redemption from the drubbing johnnyquest37 put on us last year.

Everyone on the boat this year were great, doing whatever it took to keep the boat going, sails optimally trimmed, the crew fed and tactics calculated. I'd like to give a big shout out to Sailnetters Sabreman and bobnpaula as well as my two HHSA crew who helped me make the race happen this year. This year was the first time I felt I didn't have to try to do it all, and between having time to "get my head outside the boat" and having several good sailors giving input (which never turned into divisiveness) it really made for a great sail.

I also have to thank my wife that went above and beyond to facilitate getting the boat ready and provisioned, facilitating crew transportation home and helping me deliver the boat back home.
Sabreman and Cap'n Russ like this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.