SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   SMCM Governor's Cup (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/100641-smcm-governors-cup.html)

PalmettoSailor 06-20-2013 11:23 PM

SMCM Governor's Cup

2013 Registration is Open.

They are not issuing the tracker units this year but are lowering the registration fee so you can buy an App on your smart phone to allow fleet tracking. I'm guessing that's the end of the fleet tracking as I expect many boats won't bother to buy a $10 App that will drain their cell phone or require ships power to keep it charged.

Otherwise the format seems the same as the past couple of years.

BubbleheadMd 06-21-2013 08:47 AM

Re: SMCM Governor's Cup

Ah...Don't rule that out. I think a lot of skippers will pay for the app in order to gain intelligence on their competitors.

I'm looking to enter my boat this year, and I'll be buying the app if I do.
I have a 12v socket near the cockpit, so keeping my phone charged while I race, is not a big deal.

Hell, I'll be powering a netbook-chartplotter.

PalmettoSailor 06-21-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 1047305)
Ah...Don't rule that out. I think a lot of skippers will pay for the app in order to gain intelligence on their competitors.

I'm looking to enter my boat this year, and I'll be buying the app if I do.
I have a 12v socket near the cockpit, so keeping my phone charged while I race, is not a big deal.

Hell, I'll be powering a netbook-chartplotter.

Yep, its likely guys like you and me would want to spring for the App, but I doubt the better racers are gonna' let guys like us track them if they don't have to.

Last years tracking was a debacle anyway - the server went down for scheduled maintenance for about 6 hours during the night.

I hope I'll be able to do the race this year, but I've had a little medical issue and don't know if I'll be recovered well enough to take it on.

BubbleheadMd 06-21-2013 09:14 AM

Well that sucks. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I dunno, don't you think even the fast skippers will want to keep tabs on each other? Plus, there's the ego factor of having your friends and family watch you pull out in front.

Even though my crew and I "suck out loud", I'll be advertising my failure for all to see. :laugher

PalmettoSailor 06-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd (Post 1047315)
Well that sucks. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I dunno, don't you think even the fast skippers will want to keep tabs on each other? Plus, there's the ego factor of having your friends and family watch you pull out in front.

Even though my crew and I "suck out loud", I'll be advertising my failure for all to see. :laugher

There is one boat in particular that I really would like to know where is going. The skipper has forgotten more about sailing than I'll ever know and he's old school. I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing him on the tracker even if I spring for the App. The two times I've done this race on my boat, he's kicked his fleets ass, once going west and once going east. My analysis had me do exactly the opposite both years. I either need to follow him, or figure out what I think is the best course of action and do the opposite. lol

There are a couple of other boats in Crusing class and NS class it would be nice to keep tabs on and some of them may bother with the tracker, but I sure liked it better when it was universal -- and they didn't take it down for the most critical period, like last year.

BubbleheadMd 06-21-2013 10:27 AM

These North/South bay races are frustrating. I'm routinely told by veterans that 95% of the time, there is no value in staying on the western shore, then after the race, I find out that these same veterans went there.

When I ask what their rationale was, they simply say that "this time", conditions warranted it.

Honestly though, there seems to be little value in following the Western shore most of the time, because it just has you driving extra miles to follow the curve.

The weather seems...different this year. Mild temps for much deeper into June, sustained Easterly breezes (which is very rare), and powerful Northerlies for the Miles River Race and DtB. It'll be interesting to see what conditions present themselves for Gov. Cup, Solomons Invitational, Oxford and Screwpile.

zz4gta 06-21-2013 12:45 PM

I'm holding out on this one. Might do it, might not. It's not a particularly 'fun' race on a small boat. There are rumors that the MC38 will be ready, but that might be a pipe dream.

Tracker makes no difference to me. I do better when I don't know what everyone else is doing. Just sail south fast, and make a right. If it's a run, big boats beware...

PalmettoSailor 06-30-2013 02:36 PM

Well the cards are stacking up against us making Gov Cup this year. Just found out the boat a couple of slips over got a direct lightning strike on Friday afternoon/evening. Apparently the strike damaged boats up and down the dock including Palmetto Moon.

We were the closest boat and we found today our air conditioner, autopilot and wind instruments are toast. I at first thought everything was going to be fine as all the lights checked fine, but as we continued testing our electrical equipment we started finding problems.

I guess I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday.

BubbleheadMd 06-30-2013 11:34 PM

Well that sucks. Sorry for your troubles.
I've been wondering what participation is going to be like this year. Seems down all over the place.

chef2sail 07-02-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor (Post 1052122)
Well the cards are stacking up against us making Gov Cup this year. Just found out the boat a couple of slips over got a direct lightning strike on Friday afternoon/evening. Apparently the strike damaged boats up and down the dock including Palmetto Moon.

We were the closest boat and we found today our air conditioner, autopilot and wind instruments are toast. I at first thought everything was going to be fine as all the lights checked fine, but as we continued testing our electrical equipment we started finding problems.

I guess I'll be talking to the insurance company on Monday.

Sorry to hear that. We got side struck last year moored in front of Jabins on Back Creek. It took a week for all the problems to really surface. We lost Yanmar panel, ploltter, wind and autopilot, some lights, Ram mic. and more.

Check all your pumps as well. Alternator, Do you have a plotter? radar? Which insurance do you have? Do you have a good marine electrician? Feel frfee to PM if you need a name or a surveyor to work with to be assigned for your claim.

Dave