Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Louis Vuitton Cup - Race 1

The current AC is caught in a chicken egg situation. While Ellison hoped to attract a dozen or more boats to the LVC, corporate sponsors were put off by the 10 to 15 million dollar per boat ante. The corporate sponsors won't go all in because the AC isn't a big enough draw to justify the investment. Add a team or two who don't like the non traditional direction of the boat design and you have this year's AC.

Personally, i'm a big cat fan! The ACs, 45 and 72 are kick ass boats designed to make the the boat handling as big a challenge as strategy. Even if one boat gets a horizon job over another, nothing is assured. Say what you will about tradition, these boats are made to attract a crowd and develop the AC into a TV watchable sport. If Ellison is successful, the corporate sponsorship money will flow.

Unfortunately, we have to suffer through the infancy. Which means not many boats racing.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-10-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

They could bring things back down to earth by banning crash helmets on sailboats. I can't imagine anyone being willing to sail one of those things without one. Can you imagine crashing & burning at 40 knots and dropping headfirst from the high side?

If it, or a form of it, gets some traction it will be a NASCAR version of sailboat racing.
smackdaddy and JulieMor like this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-11-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

They're trying to make sailing into NASCAR where people live to see "the big one"....and an Olympic medalist with a young family has paid the price. No thanks...this race stinks and I'm happy to see it fade away. We have the Volvo to look forward to.
Old 07-11-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
They're trying to make sailing into NASCAR where people live to see "the big one"....and an Olympic medalist with a young family has paid the price. No thanks...this race stinks and I'm happy to see it fade away. We have the Volvo to look forward to.
IMO, they are using innovation to move the sport forward. That people will watch Golf shows there is a market that could be developed to offset the incredibly high costs.

True Nacar fans are not watching to see "The big one." They are routing for their favorite driver or drivers. No different than any other sport. The "watching to see the big one" is part of the sterotype put down put on Nascar fans by those who don't understand the sport. Because nascar fans want their drivers to win, they don't want them to crash. Any crash negatively affects the outcome of the race.

Lastly, while the loss of Andrew Simpson is tragic, it shouldn't be reason to cancel or even change this event. If death of crew members is going to be the yardstick by which these events are measured as reason for moving forward the Volvo would have been abandoned years ago.

Sailboat racing carries with it, risk. Simpson isn't the first person to lose his life racing sailboats this year. Not even the first to lose his life in California. While it is tragic, taking a page from Nascar, we learn from it, make necessary safety improvments and move forward. We don't take lightly what happened.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Don't you remember the last VOR where Abu-Dhabi just about broke apart and sank in the southern ocean? Not to mention all the other broken boats. That race, overall, is far more risky than what these AC guys are doing...with it's own share of fatalities.
Omatako likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-11-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post

Lastly, while the loss of Andrew Simpson is tragic, it shouldn't be reason to cancel or even change this event. If death of crew members is going to be the yardstick by which these events are measured as reason for moving forward the Volvo would have been abandoned years ago.
Absolutely it is. The boats aren't safe. I think they recommended supplemental air and body armor to sail 'em. Billionaires lied, and the people of San Fran will be left holding the bag on this debacle. Good riddens...
Old 07-15-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Truly Amazing! Hard to relate to but,.....Wow! Will "we" be using wing sails as head sails before I am forced to retire? Carbon boats! $$$. The admiral and I have one! Its an 18' racing canoe. We can't make it do what the pros can but we enjoy feeling the performance of the cutting edge equipment in our competitive outlet. Carbon paddles that weigh less than 8 oz. Nice. Anything (affordable) to make life a little easier for this aging body.

Will I own similar sailing gear? Probably not. Is it fun to watch those who do. YES! IT IS!

I have to wonder what steps are being taken to clean the Bay of debris? Hitting a partially submerged RR tie with a foil, at speed, would be a "problem".

A pod of migrating whales would add an interesting dimension to the race, too.

Wondering how the rules deal with stuff like that?

Down.
Old 07-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'd love to see the next AC be done in lasers, one design and you don't know which one you'll get.
They should make it about the sailing/sailor's - not the boat.
Old 07-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'd love to see the next AC be done in lasers, one design and you don't know which one you'll get.
I see this kind of statement a lot. But, c'mon, Chuckles - did you see the race between NZ and LR? That was all about sailing and sailors - the boat was completely secondary. NZ seriously hurt LR when they boxed them in at the start - decades-old match racing strategy. Then they nailed the door shut when they were able to gibe on the foils and LR wasn't.

If it was purely about the boats, this wouldn't have been the blowout it was. So I don't think these kinds of statements hold water.
SHNOOL likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-15-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Yeah, and just imagine the new heights the Daytona 500 could be taken to by BASSCAR, if they ran it in identical Smart Cars, instead... :-)

If one wanted to consign the America's Cup to irrelevance forever, that might be a surefire way to do it, alright...

That's pretty much what's done every four years in the Olympics, after all...

anyone have NBC's ratings for their coverage of yachting last summer from the London Games? Hell, I'll bet they lagged behind those for Rhythmic Gymnastics...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 07-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.