Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Louis Vuitton Cup - Race 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Don't you remember the last VOR where Abu-Dhabi just about broke apart and sank in the southern ocean? Not to mention all the other broken boats. That race, overall, is far more risky than what these AC guys are doing...with it's own share of fatalities.
The VOR has gone way too far as well.

Whatever happened to seamanship? "They're racing" has become an excuse for a complete lack of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'd love to see the next AC be done in lasers, one design and you don't know which one you'll get.
They should make it about the sailing/sailor's - not the boat.
That's called the Olympics

The Americas Cup is totally different animal. It is about design and always has been. Cutting edge technologies within a basic framework or formulas. Imagination and innovation have always been the hallmark of AC, from the first bulb keel to the out of the box 40 mph wings of today.

There will never be any advances in sailing or technologies by sailing around in equal garbage scows picked when you show up for the race. We can save that for 1 design races, college racing and the Olympics to figure out who is the best sailor. The AC was never for that.
T37Chef and shadowraiths like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-15-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but nothing like a sailor who has the "less technical" boat and theoretically slower, and still pulls out victory... Now THAT is impressive. - Dennis, you set the bar really high.

AC has always been as much about the boat design, as it is about the skippers/crew and chess game on and off the course. It was always the package deal. I'd rather they not change that.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Then there is this: IMO there is a prejudice against cats. At least in some corners of the racing world. I should say all corners of the racing world and some corners of the cruising world. Why this is I don't know, but it is. Cats get no respect. On the water or off.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Are there any ratings or attendance stats yet?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Because they flip upside down and stay that way.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-15-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I don't HATE cats... I just prefer dogs. Besides I'm allergic to cats.
Shameless plug (and I am not selling anything): http://www.woodlandbrittanys.com/
Old 07-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Sailing a small beach cat you get a lot of practice yelling "Starboard!" to monohulls crossing your course.

When i first started sailing cats I thought these sailors didn't know the rules of the road. I later found out that i was sailing the Rodney Dangerfield of boats.

Mostly it was just an inconvenience but at times some of these skippers and crew took things to unacceptable levels. Like screaming obscenities for us to stay out of the way.

WE could easily get even with them, though usually we didn't. But an occasional sail up along side to ask if they were dragging an anchor or something was sometimes fun. Then there was the day one of the local high roller yachtie's forced me off starboard and called me an ******* while he and others were in an unofficial race on an unmarked course. That after i gave him way, though he was on port tack. If you are racing and i know you are racing i'll stay well clear! But this was just ridiculous! I came about, told my crew we were going to sail under him and force him up off his course. And that's exactly what we did. he tacked away and so did we. Taking no more than a couple minutes for us to reposition and do it again. We bored of this quickly and tired of the screaming coming from the big slow boat. Plus it's no fun to sail a Hobie so slow. We veered away and went for their destination, the unoffical windward mark. There we hove to, popped a cold one, and waited. Making sure we were in the way! They cursed us and we yelled back "what took you so long to get here!" Seriously, if you are going to call me an ******* the least i can do is live up to the name! And, give you what you deserve!!!! After all five or six boats had rounded and were now on a beam reach we sheeted in and ran them down passing them all to leeward just to show we could out run them. And. it gave us some practice as we went for the mark to turn for the run. We instead of turning for the run we tacked away. I gave them a captain's salute but they were too far off to see it.

Then there was the day we got even with the stinkpots, but that's another story!!!!
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-15-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
They could bring things back down to earth by banning crash helmets on sailboats. I can't imagine anyone being willing to sail one of those things without one. Can you imagine crashing & burning at 40 knots and dropping headfirst from the high side?

If it, or a form of it, gets some traction it will be a NASCAR version of sailboat racing.
There is an easier way - make a parachute anchor out the back mandatory equipment.

Why do you want to bring it down to earth? What is the point of watching the cutting edge of fast sailing brought down to sedentary humdrum rubbish.

Sorry, I don't get it.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-15-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Don't you remember the last VOR where Abu-Dhabi just about broke apart and sank in the southern ocean? Not to mention all the other broken boats. That race, overall, is far more risky than what these AC guys are doing...with it's own share of fatalities.
Agreed, when you take the Whitbread (forerunner to VOR) and the VOR, and apply the same logic around safety, the VOR would be long dead and gone.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke