Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Slow Racing or Fast Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I think many cruisers like to race against other sailboats. Yesterday I sailed out from a beach at the same time than one of the new HR 415, the wind was strong (about 20K with gusts higher) and son it was obvious that we were racing. My boat is a powerful one and as my wife is a bit scared with heeling I was sailing very conservatively ( second reef in and the Genoa a bit reefed). Even so we were doing 7.5K/8.5K at a broad reach, about the same speed of the HR, a fast boat with medium to high winds on a broad reach.

Then we went close upwind with very strong gusts and two to three meters waves (doing 6.5K to 7.5K) and soon it was clear that the HR was not a mach. Its angle was much worse and the boat was slower. After one hour the HR was a little spot and it changed course and disappeared while we made it to our destination, Monemvasia, an wonderful place. Check it on the google.

So, what is the problem with a bit racing while cruising?

Regards

Paulo
I was hoping you'd chime in here Paulo. Your "Interesting Boats" thread does a great job of dealing with this question from the boat design perspectiove (and looks to be on track to be SN's 1M-View thread - very impressive).

Here's to leaving HRs on the horizon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

Whenever two sailboats are near each other and headed in the same direction it's a race! I don't care what anybody says!

Whadda I think? Try it. It is one more way to enjoy sailing. or not. And if not, it's a been there done that sort of deal. Move on!

There are many different levels of racing and many different ways to enjoy sailing. Go for it!!!!
Old 08-13-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Smack

Right on the money! Can you imagine, focusing on fun.

The whole world is out there arguing, fighting, competing to the death. And we're just out there going for a sail, trying to win and be comfortable because it's fun.

Imagine that!

You radical you
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-13-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
Whenever two sailboats are near each other and headed in the same direction it's a race! I don't care what anybody says!

Whadda I think? Try it. It is one more way to enjoy sailing. or not. And if not, it's a been there done that sort of deal. Move on!

There are many different levels of racing and many different ways to enjoy sailing. Go for it!!!!

Agreed completely. Also, the rule is you need to look like you're not trying when you pass the other guy. Maybe be grilling a steak on the stern rail
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 08-13-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

We invariably race more successfully when we take along a newbie or other guest. I calls it the "karma factor". Try it !!
Old 08-13-2013
Dinkin' Around

Grunthrie is on a distinguished road

This thread is entirely too civil! What a breath of fresh air! (not that im not enjoying the vitriol threads )
At the phase of my sailing (floundering about trying to fill the sails with the abundant wind) I am mostly racing the sun, trying to get home while I can still see!
Old 08-13-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I am about to start "racing" my own boat. But I'm going to be perfectly content in the "Aloha Class"-style divisions. We'll have plenty of water, plenty of great food, plenty of nice drinks, and every comfort we can think of short of a strap-on jacuzzi. We'll take it all "seriously" and do our best to win our division, but my primary goal is having a great time and enjoying the trip...win or lose. I'll just expect us to be safe, and improve our performance with each attempt.

Low bar? Maybe. But it's still racing to me.

The bottom line is, racing is just about the best possible way to improve your sailing skills. And it's a great deal of fun. It doesn't have to be done to the extreme most cruisers point to when denigrating racing. Just like cruising doesn't have to be done in a full-keel 2KSB with an acre of solar panels like most racers point to when denigrating cruising. There's definitely middle ground.

Whaddayathink?
Smack, I think you'll discover racing can be addictive.

I've known many people (including myself once) who have started out with the mindset of "I'm only doing this to improve my sailing skills.." and, after a season or three of coming second (or third or fourth), have found themselves:
  • Replacing sheets and halyards ("the old ones were a bit embarrasing... and I'm doing this to improve my sailing skills")
  • Getting new sails ("the old ones were a bit baggy.... and I'm doing this to improve my sailing skills")
  • Replacing cleats and winches ("just couldn't sheet on fast enough in the tacks.... and this will help improve my sailing skills")
  • Setting a new, larger, different, masthead spinnaker ("if I can go a bit quicker on the downwind legs... I'll improve my sailing skills")
  • Tuning the rig ("I'm not pointing as well on one tack... and this will improve my sailing skills")
  • Trading up to a quicker boat ("This boat is a bit slow for me, so if I get a new Archambault like the guys at the bar sail, I'll win more trophies... and that will improve my sailing skills")

IMO, the line between "fast cruising" and "slow racing" is razor sharp and, as should be obvious looking at my avatar, it's one I'm familiar with and like to balance on - but I can only do that after spending time on both sides and not liking either overly much - for all the reasons you mentioned.

Have fun out there!
blt2ski, davidpm and smackdaddy like this.

Last edited by Classic30; 08-13-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

ummmmm, last I checked, ANY DAY ON the boat, is better than a day NOT on the boat......be it a power, or sailed, or paddled or whatever style of preferably floating style boat you choose!

That is my thought........OUCH.........dang nabbit smacky, you made me think!.....OUCHY!!!!!.......gotta quit doing that, hurts my brain electron..........so where was I? oh yeah, on the boat! yep! thursday evening race, saturday race for boobies....not disCUSSing bird boobies either!

Marty
Old 08-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
ummmmm, last I checked, ANY DAY ON the boat, is better than a day NOT on the boat......be it a power, or sailed, or paddled or whatever style of preferably floating style boat you choose!
There's one exception to that, Marty - when it's blowing like stink (let's say +30kts for argument's sake) AND cold AND raining, and all at the same time..

In THAT case, it's better to spend the day in the Clubhouse, in front of a log fire, drink in hand, talking with your crew about your last race (or cruise) as you watch the rain come down on the poor souls outside...

Last edited by Classic30; 08-14-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

NO NO NO CAM!

That is when you go out there, so you have BFS stories to tell!

THEN you go to the commodores ball that evening with a story for all them stink potters at the ball!

That is my story, and I am sticking to it some 5 or 6 yrs ago on that 2nd saturday in march......at least I was not one of the two that went aground........might even be a thread about that somewhere.........
miatapaul likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.