Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Slow Racing or Fast Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just remember, racing can make you look really stupid really fast:

That is what we used to call a death roll. It can be particularly devasting if the boom has been vanged down to the toe rail. It can be even more scary if you happen to be the mast man and you happen to be hanging vertically using the vang as a trapeze, since your feet can't reach the vertical deck. And (speaking as said mastman) it only gets worse when you hear someone in the cockpit shouting, "Blow the vang! Blow the Vang!!!! Blow the vang now!!!!!!"

That is probably the reasons that old time racing crews would ask if everyone had the same number of fingers and toes as we had before the maneuver.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2013
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road

So you mean the whole time I'm sailing my boat tracking you across the water, trying to keep up or pass you without you knowing it, you're basically doing the same thing? Here I thought I was the only one who played cruiser/racer out there.
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Old 08-15-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We'll have plenty of water, plenty of great food, plenty of nice drinks, and every comfort we can think of short of a strap-on jacuzzi. We'll take it all "seriously" and do our best to win our division, but my primary goal is having a great time and enjoying the trip...win or lose...... whaddayathink?
What do I think? Can I come racing with you?

I must admit, when I race I like to try and do my job and get things right (just beer can stuff mind), and when I sail my own tub, well, I still like to get things right. To me there is no excuse for not sailing a boat as efficiently as you can. I'm often out there and see other boats with really badly shaped sails, flapping around and trailing fenders. I always take the opportunity to cruise past them, coffee in hand, munching on a sandwich with my feet up whenever possible.

Old 08-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Here's another angle...if you ARE one of those "hard-core racers" who spend tens of thousands of dollars on sails and gear, scream and get aggro with everyone around you, cut your crew's toothbrushes in half, look down your nose at "cruisers", and throw your attitude all over the place - you'd better win...everything. Because if you don't you might be an idiot for doing all the above.
JomsViking and happy_sailor like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-15-2013
Wannabe Sailing Bum

happy_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Here's another angle...if you ARE one of those "hard-core racers" who spend tens of thousands of dollars on sails and gear, scream and get aggro with everyone around you, cut your crew's toothbrushes in half, look down your nose at "cruisers", and throw your attitude all over the place - you'd better win...everything. Because if you don't you might be an idiot for doing all the above.
Agreed. Especially on the idiot part for the yelling. Most of the time the yelling crew isn't the winning crew. Granted, there is a huuuge difference between yelling "at" someone and yelling "to" someone. If I'm on the bow and I need someone to blow a halyard, I'm gonna holler that out because that's the only way they can hear me. There's so much stuff going on in the cockpit they need to be able to hear my voice to get the halyard. That's completely different that yelling "at" someone, and abusing them verbally. That's just ridiculous, and never appropriate.
smackdaddy likes this.

Yippee Kai-Yay
Thistle #697 (currently in my garage with a hole in it)
Old 08-15-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
LOL....Reminds me of something out of my youth. When I was a kid, I was getting on the club launch at the same time that the then Rhodes 19 North American Champion was getting on board with his first time crew member. As the launch pulled away from the dock, Roger looks over his new crew and says quite excitedly and loudly, "SOCKS, you're wearing SOCKS! Do you know how much SOCKS weigh?" And with that Roger made the crew take off his socks and empty his pockets into the socks and leave them with the launch driver.

Even back then, a Rhodes 19 was not exactly a light weight, high performance racer. But even then, the top flight sailors were detail oriented. It still makes me laugh though.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 08-15-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
LOL....Reminds me of something out of my youth. When I was a kid, I was getting on the club launch at the same time that the then Rhodes 19 North American Champion was getting on board with his first time crew member. As the launch pulled away from the dock, Roger looks over his new crew and says quite excitedly and loudly, "SOCKS, you're wearing SOCKS! Do you know how much SOCKS weigh?" And with that Roger made the crew take off his socks and empty his pockets into the socks and leave them with the launch driver.

Even back then, a Rhodes 19 was not exactly a light weight, high performance racer. But even then, the top flight sailors were detail oriented. It still makes me laugh though.

Jeff
Good grief, if a pair or two of socks is going to make you lose the race then you better pray a seagull does not land on the mast, it might sink the boat.
Old 08-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Smack, you're looking to do the "Race to Beer and Pizza".

There's definitely nothing wrong with that. All I recommend to you, is that when you're recruiting crew, you very clearly explain your expectations to them.

Some people might sign on, thinking that you're going to be more aggressive about winning, investing in high-tech gear, etc and be disappointed when you spend more money upgrading insulation in the beer cooler.

Conversely, you might encounter crew who think that even your laid-back style of racing is too high-strung for them. I know that sounds crazy, but it is possible, and I've run into it.

Just make sure that you, and your crew are all on the same page for maximum enjoyment, whatever your mode of racing may be.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Smack, you're looking to do the "Race to Beer and Pizza".
Not necessarily. I personally want to be competitive in whatever division I'm in. But I absolutely do not believe that doing so will come down to a few hundred pounds of weight - or even kevlar sails.

That's the beauty of longer off-shore races - it's more about weather, routing, and long-term focus on the boat's performance than ripping out the head to save weight.

When boats in a race are separated by 100ths of a second at the finish, then I might become a believer in the typical BS and think about taking off that extra layer of insulation around the cooler.

Regardless, I'll let my crew know what's up.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-15-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Smack think you may have misperception. Did Newport Bermuda multihull. Cap went thro everyone s kit. Throw out a small paperback.allowed only limited clothes.very weight aware. Oh yeah we won.