Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Slow Racing or Fast Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I assume you can use saltwater for the boiling since the food is in the bags (won't transfer more salt into them) - but am not sure about that. Any advice?
I think you'll find you can.

We've often used saltwater to boil veggies in and to wash up afterwards (with a final freshwater rinse), but it's a good idea to restrict this practice to a mile or three offshore..
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 08-25-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I think you'll find you can.

We've often used saltwater to boil veggies in and to wash up afterwards (with a final freshwater rinse), but it's a good idea to restrict this practice to a mile or three offshore..
That's what I was thinking. No way, would I use ocean water for cooking unless I was a couple of miles offshore.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-03-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

With regard to prepping the boat for racing I'm definately with the let's not take it to the extreme crowd. IMO, within hard core amateur racing there is a certain amount of propaganda buy-in going on. No doubt, that all things being equal, a well prepared, lite weight boat will sail faster than a lesser prepared heavier boat. But there's the rub! As pointed out, all things are never equal. Usually, sailing mistakes, or even luck enters into the picture and erases whatever advantages the perfectly prepared boat has on the rest of the fleet. Being in the right place to take advantage of a wind shift, perfectly timing the start, perfectly executing every tack and gybe. sailing a perfect course, not overstanding the lay line etc etc etc. All factors in the finshing position. And, neatly explains why, for example in some parts, the J22 that is kept on a mooring in the river, is a contender with the shinny bottomed J's that get lifted in and out of the water for every race.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-03-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

^^^Bingo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-04-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

We cruised and day-sailed for years before ever even trying a race. Each year of racing we did slightly better until we were very competitive. As a result of no longer being terrible and having an interesting boat, we were able to eventually get some top-notch sailors to race with us on a regular basis and our skills have improved exponentially, But the bottom line is that it is a helluva lotta fun. It gets the juices flowing, gives you another reason to get out on the water on a regular basis and gives you a great opportunity to bond with your crew. Racing is great and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by CBinRI; 09-04-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

48° North Sailing Magazine - September 2013

Not sure which page will show up, but cruisers and racers alike enjoyed this day.....I even got to be center pic on page 60! oh and page 61 tells more about said phun race! Both ways ie cruising and racing are ways to enjoy ones boat! or one can fish off of it too, maybe waterski if it is fast enough, with enough wind........

Marty
Old 09-05-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
And, neatly explains why, for example in some parts, the J22 that is kept on a mooring in the river, is a contender with the shinny bottomed J's that get lifted in and out of the water for every race.
That hasn't been my experience. Around here the one design fleets see a distinct advantage between dry sailed and wet sailed boats in the same fleet. In fleets where the competition is tight dry sailed is faster.

When it comes to PHRF fleets it is not as critical, but it still makes a difference. When it really becomes noticeable is when one boat starts an "arms race" by getting serious about weight. There is a Catalina 27 in our club who did that; He removed so much weight from his boat that it sat 2" higher in the water than any other C27 in the club, and he dominates them, along with most other boats in his division. Yes he is a good sailor with good crew, but so are many of his competitors. The big difference is the boat is just plain faster on all points of sail.

As long as all your competitors agree to leave the cast iron frying pans and canned food on board you will be fine, but if others take the weight off and you don't, you will be at a serious disadvantage.
Hull#101
Old 09-05-2013

CBinRI is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I feel like the weight thing is overblown (at least in PHRF racing) and it may seem more important than it is because the guy who strips out his cruising gear also tends to be the guy who gets his bottom cleaned, gets new sails and really concentrates on trim and improving his technique.

I also tend to be a more the merrier type of guy in terms of crew. Of course, my boat is heavy to begin with.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 09-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinRI View Post
Sometimes I feel like the weight thing is overblown (at least in PHRF racing) and it may seem more important than it is because the guy who strips out his cruising gear also tends to be the guy who gets his bottom cleaned, gets new sails and really concentrates on trim and improving his technique.
I think this is it.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40