Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Root against your own team now thats the spirit
On the Oracle boat:

6 New Zealanders
6 Australians
2 British
4 Hollanders (maybe not anymore )
2 Americans

Root for your team? You actually don't have a team. Not nationally anyhow.

And as I noted on another thread some months (maybe years) ago, don't wish for the rules to include nationality as a team requirement. If that happens the Cup will come to New Zealand and will never leave again. New Zealand could field 3 complete winning teams on any given day.

There is a problem that we're a little short on billionaires but then again, that hasn't been a major handicap for us thus-far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup opening races

I'd love to see the Americas Cup raced in J Class boats like Endeavor and Shamrock. Modern materials would be allowed like carbon fiber for the mast and hull and Mylar sails. The size specks of the class would be required to be consistent with the old J class boats. Wood coach roofs and bronze hardware would be required on the deck.
SailingStNick likes this.
Old 09-07-2013

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
AC racing should be reasonable size mono-hulls IMHO....
I miss the 12 meters in Newport as well. However, the 12's were a bastardized version of the AC. The genesis of the AC was, I have a bad a**s boat come see if you can beat it.

80% of all sailing races involve reasonably sized mono-hulls. The AC is supposed to special. This is closer to the roots of the AC. See if you can make a boat faster than mine. The AC is about the boat, not the crew.

My jaw drops watching these boats go over 40kts. I still can't believe they can really do that.
Pearson P-35 #481
Old 09-07-2013
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

Wow, NZ is way faster upwind!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-2013

turban10 is on a distinguished road

Wow, those boats are amazing to watch. 40+ knots and only the foils in the water. Just jaw-dropping. I called my wife down to watch some of the race and we were both amazed by what these boats can do. Heck, I get excited when we can get our boat up to 5 knots. :-)
Old 09-07-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

It looks like the penalties Oracle suffered will be their death knell. They may have had a chance making up the two race deficit if they got to keep all their crew, but losing crew AND being penalized two races could just do them in. Legs 3 & 4 were dominated by the Kiwis! Not sure even the lost crew could make up for that.

7 to go for the Kiwis, 11 for Oracle. Oracle needs to pray for lighter winds.
Old 09-07-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I thought it was fascinating. I've never watched before, so it's all new to me. As Mr. Perry said, it's a boat race- and a hell of a cool one at that. I'm interested to know why, exactly, team Oracle fared so poorly and whether they can right the ship before it's too late.
Old 09-07-2013

kunkwriter is on a distinguished road

I read all these posts and wonder. Good book called Temple To The Wind talks about the designs (Herreshoff) of the late 1800s to the turn of the century, and the history and controversies of the America's Cup races. I'm hearing the exact same complaints today that they heard over a hundred years ago. People thought the designs were to radical and not traditional enough. People were upset that the crew (and captain) was not American. People felt it was too much about the wealthy robber barons funding the races. Seems to me the Race is turning out as traditional as it ever was.
SloopJonB and aprilsails like this.
Old 09-07-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
It looks like the penalties Oracle suffered will be their death knell. They may have had a chance making up the two race deficit if they got to keep all their crew, but losing crew AND being penalized two races could just do them in. Legs 3 & 4 were dominated by the Kiwis! Not sure even the lost crew could make up for that.

7 to go for the Kiwis, 11 for Oracle. Oracle needs to pray for lighter winds.
Hey Julie, not for the sake of just being contrary but if the NZ boat wins race after race, the penalty of two races is less important than the loss of key crew personnel but then again, they were racing two identical boats with very similar performance side by side for months. How can they be short of skilled crew? Makes no sense to me.

The most telling thing from the first two races is that Oracle made a huge tactical blunder choosing to race their "slower" boat in favour of the "more stable" one. In this event it is clear that speed is everything. If you don't have speed, stability is moot.
capta likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-07-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

In the first race things were fairly even regarding boat speed, that is until the wind kicked up during the 3rd leg, the upwind leg. Then the Kiwis started inching ahead.

Jobson said the guy who replaced wing trimmer Dirk de Ridder was 21 years old and just wasn't doing the job, compared to de Ridder. I'm guessing Jobson felt the loss of de Ridder was part of the reason why Oracle lost so much ground on legs 3 & 4.

It appeared that as the wind increased, the Kiwi boat got noticeably more out of it than Oracle, while sailing upwind. How much of that could have been negated with de Ridder trimming the wing, I can't say. But if the winds are light, I think Oracle has a chance, though slim considering they need 11 wins before the Kiwis get 7. And that location wasn't chosen because it's known for light winds.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.