Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I'll root for ORACLE.
Some one has too. I'll sit in the ORACLE section of the bleachers all by myself.
---
You'll have me for company, Bob.
I was sitting in a bar where EVERYBODY else was only interested in the Georgia vs South Carolina football game.
Having no volume to hear the announcers, can anybody tell me what the problem was with Oracle's main?
I have to admit to being very amused at a gazillion dollar ultra high tech boat being repaired with what seemed to be black duct tape.
Old 09-07-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Mike:
I can meet you in the bar tomorrow or you can come to my beach shack. We'll watch together. I didn't see the repair. The Indians (I live on the Tulalip Reservation) were pulling a beach seine net up onto the beach and I wanted to go see the salmon. 1,000 lbs. of salmon on the beach at your feet is a lot more fun than the America's Cup.

"What happens in the sweat lodge, stays in the sweat lodge."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The speed of those boats is boggling. The TV graphics that look like they are actually in the water are very cool. The whole thing is so over the top it is indescribable.

It makes for a lot better spectating than the older boats but I'd like to see the races be a little more than a quick sprint around a short course. They should have to race out to the Farallones and back.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-07-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

What's the point, if you don't pick a team. Pick whoever you like.

So far so good. I'm just hoping to rid the sport of a virus.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-07-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Yes, the Kiwis have won this.

I did almost, almost, fall off the chair when they intervewed the skipper of Orical and I heard an Australian accent!

So its Kiwis Vs Ausies!? Well then how the hell have the Aussies got the slower boat? Wheres Uncle Hollywood with his 'candy'?

NZ will win. 52 seconds in the second heat will take some beating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
On the Oracle boat:

6 New Zealanders
6 Australians
2 British
4 Hollanders (maybe not anymore )
2 Americans
Old 09-07-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I have to give a plug for the YouTube America's Cup channel coverage. After giving up on finding a bar showing the race, we just watched it on our projector and it was just amazing watching the race on the 'big screen'. Can't compare it to the NBC coverage as I don't have a TV but I thought they did a great job.
Old 09-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I have to give a plug for the YouTube America's Cup channel coverage. After giving up on finding a bar showing the race, we just watched it on our projector and it was just amazing watching the race on the 'big screen'. Can't compare it to the NBC coverage as I don't have a TV but I thought they did a great job.
Espn2 also covered the race, at least down here in Grenada. I found the commercials on NBC to be absolutely disgusting; with such short races, why couldn't they put the commercials before and after the races? Perhaps they broadcast the soaps well, but they should never be allowed to broadcast sailing again.
Old 09-08-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

The first race was fantastic, especially after snore of the LV cup though I enjoyed the RBAC youth regatta. Too bad the last race was abandoned.

What the AC34 needs is another lap. 1 beat doesn't cut it as beating appears to have more passing opportunities.

The second race most likely should have gone to Oracle. ETNZ fouled them at the start it just unbelievable they were not penalised! One of the biggest things about match racing is the start. Now that appears to be taken away by the jury.

Quote:
I'll sit in the ORACLE section of the bleachers all by myself.
Maybe the reason you will be alone is becasuse your grumpy Bob.
Old 09-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
I thought I was going to watch on NBC Sports iPad app, but couldn't connect. I had 2to 3 bars and intermittent 3G at anchor. YouTube worked great, although, it seemed to automatically degrade the quality to accommodate. I preferred that over buffering interruptions.

I wasn't sure youtube was going to work, as they claimed it would blocked in certain areas, during broadcast television segments. Pretty sure the first two races are the only ones that are going to be on broadcast TV, with the remainder on NBC Sports cable.

I may catch today's races on wifi back at the slip.

Go ETNZ!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-08-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I tried to watch it last night. It's interesting, but it's a funny kind of sailing.

I watched every twelve meter AC race since I was a teenager, most multiple times on the VCR.

I turned it off this time before I even saw who won. I just don't care.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico