Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: America's Cup opening races

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
If you are watching the races on the internet instead of a 60 inch HD TV, you really can't appreciate how far advanced these boats have become!
Eh, hem. I was watching the AC on the internet too - on a computer plugged into a home projector system which broadcasts a picture that is the size of my living room wall.*

*Honestly, I don't know why everyone hasn't done this yet. I unhooked myself from cable after a four month battle with Comcast back in 2006, and bought my first projector. I upgraded last year to an even better projector (a good projector is still cheaper than a large flat screen TV). Every year more and more television shows and sports are available online. And it's so much cheaper. When I first cut the cord back in 2006 there were real costs (and real savings) but every year it just seems more and more puzzling how the cable companies expect to stay in business with everyone paying through the nose for content that is mostly available online for much less.

**That picture isn't me, or my exact setup, by the way.

Last edited by emcentar; 09-09-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Naming names (i.e. Comcast)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83

As usual lots of opinions...

I have to say I was not interested in the pre-race hype nor the LV series. I was also luke warm to watching even race highlights. But, I joined a friend and we watched the opening two races. I was hooked. These are high tech racing machines with one objective: To win the series according to the rules as written. You may not like the rules but the boats and the crews are incredible. Most of us will never sail in these (most of us are monohull sailors with a streak of romanticism with wet dreams at 7 knots) but you have to admit, you cannot beat a catamaran for speed. There is lots of tactics, grunt work, team coordination, intimidation... Sounds like sailing to me and ....in this case, just like in F1, you have a bunch of mercinaries.

As a Canadian, I don't care who wins . I want an entertaining and long series. I was on edge all of Race 4...for a sailing race...... Pretty successful entertainment in my books. I also watched Races 3,4 on Youtube (I don't have cable): Apple TV linked to the net on my 46" with a bose soundsystem. I was a happy camper.

Waymar - Jeanneau, Attalia
Old 09-09-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
--- The Indians (I live on the Tulalip Reservation) were pulling a beach seine net up onto the beach and I wanted to go see the salmon. 1,000 lbs. of salmon on the beach at your feet is a lot more fun than the America's Cup.

"What happens in the sweat lodge, stays in the sweat lodge."
Hey Bob -
Did you get a salmon for dinner? Or is that the kind of thing that stays in the sweat lodge?
Anyway, at least Oracle won one. It was starting to look like Barker owned Spithill.
We shall see.
Old 09-10-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Well, I was a bit concerned that this AC would be another mismatch where one team dominates, but now that we know Oracle can win a race, my interest is renewed.

The boats are nothing short of amazing, and I think even non-sailors would find them exciting to watch even if they don't understand all the subtleties of match racing. If they are interested in the details the media does a great job of illustrating and explaining what is going on in the race. At least there is the spectacle of speed to keep the average viewer watching, which is more than the old monohulls did. With those boats there was nothing to appeal to anyone but sailors. Even I found them a bit boring. If it wasn't for my interest in the boat handling and tactics I would never have watched them.

What I would like to see is a fleet race with those beasts! Now THAT would be exciting!
Hull#101
Old 09-10-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Well, I was a bit concerned that this AC would be another mismatch where one team dominates, but now that we know Oracle can win a race, my interest is renewed.

The boats are nothing short of amazing, and I think even non-sailors would find them exciting to watch even if they don't understand all the subtleties of match racing. If they are interested in the details the media does a great job of illustrating and explaining what is going on in the race. At least there is the spectacle of speed to keep the average viewer watching, which is more than the old monohulls did. With those boats there was nothing to appeal to anyone but sailors. Even I found them a bit boring. If it wasn't for my interest in the boat handling and tactics I would never have watched them.

What I would like to see is a fleet race with those beasts! Now THAT would be exciting!
I think the AC like it or not has absolutely gotten the attention of some non-sailors. I've had lots of non-sailors ask me if I'd seen those "big sailboats" racing on TV as soon as they learned I sailed. These folks didn't know anything about sailing but those boats and that racing format caught their attention and interest.

That can't be all bad, even if it has as much to do with the kind of sailing I do as a moon walk.
Old 09-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I wasn't able to see Race 5 today and was hoping to watch the replay before reading about it. For some reason, the replay is blocked to the US on YouTube at 7:15pm EDT. Race is long over, I ended up reading about it. Sounded like a real beat down on Oracle, who then took a pass on Race 6. Excellent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-10-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I think the AC like it or not has absolutely gotten the attention of some non-sailors. I've had lots of non-sailors ask me if I'd seen those "big sailboats" racing on TV as soon as they learned I sailed. These folks didn't know anything about sailing but those boats and that racing format caught their attention and interest.

That can't be all bad, even if it has as much to do with the kind of sailing I do as a moon walk.
I do wish the commentators would stop referring to the course as "the Track" and the support crew as the "Pit Crew"! The last thing we want is the attention of NASCAR fans!
Hull#101
Old 09-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I wasn't able to see Race 5 today and was hoping to watch the replay before reading about it. For some reason, the replay is blocked to the US on YouTube at 7:15pm EDT. Race is long over, I ended up reading about it. Sounded like a real beat down on Oracle, who then took a pass on Race 6. Excellent.
You probably know by now Oracle got CREAMED on the 3rd leg, their nemesis. And you also probably know the foiling tack needs to go back to R&D for lots more work. The Oracle team looked stunned.
Old 09-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
You probably know by now Oracle got CREAMED on the 3rd leg, their nemesis. And you also probably know the foiling tack needs to go back to R&D for lots more work. The Oracle team looked stunned.
The YouTube replay finally loaded at 10pm EDT, so I did eventually see it. I've seen the previous races live, but was hoping to catch most on replay now, before I read the outcome. If they are all going to be delayed for 6 hrs, that's probably not going to work.

Yes, creamed is well put. It was both the poor tack and poor tactics. They should have jibed, protected the lead and just waited for ETNZ to tack first. Maybe there were just worried that ETNZ had a faster boat upwind, so they doubled down and lost the bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-11-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

I agree the rounding did have an air of desperation. It appeared, if the graphics depict reality, that, further on, when both boats were on a port tack ETNZ was just outside of the tide line while Oracle was beating into the current. I think that could have had quite an impact.

I also thought Ken Reid was more insightful then the rest of the presenters that have called the races.