Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: America's Cup opening races

So I think it has now become clear that the Oracle boat being a tad faster off the wind (if that can be truly used as a sailing term, they're never really off the wind) is not going to cut it against a boat that is significantly faster upwind.

Only great sailing and excellent tactics are going to do it but I believe OTUSA has neither. By "firing" Kostecki they now have Ben Ainslee as tactician but he seems to be a little out of sorts with Spithill. These guys have to be totally in sync.

The Barker/Davies relationship is so close it has been said that they finish each other's sentences. That's going to be hard to beat.

The score for ETNZ is now 6 wins to 1 loss. It is hard to conceptualise this going any other way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Unless they pull out some sort of miracle to cure their overwhelming inferiority sailing upwind, Oracle doesn't stand a chance. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is over Sunday.
Old 09-13-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

maybe the it's not the boat. change the crew to an All American crew. One that knows how to Sail a Cat and how to Match Race. Spithill can write a book on how not to defend your lead. He was so excited that he won a start that he forgot that there was only two boats in the race.
Old 09-13-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I'm quite looking forward to seeing them racing off NZ next time, just surprised it's taken this long for the US to finally run out of ideas on how to ensure they win

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
maybe the it's not the boat. change the crew to an All American crew. One that knows how to Sail a Cat and how to Match Race. Spithill can write a book on how not to defend your lead. He was so excited that he won a start that he forgot that there was only two boats in the race.
Well let's hope that when the Kiwis get the deed they make a nationality rule! Go ahead and send an All American crew down to compete against All Kiwi and All Aussie teams. Be careful what you wish for though, because the All Americans might find it a humbling experience! Do you think it was an accident that so many of the Oracle team are from New Zealand and Oz?
Hull#101
Old 09-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
maybe the it's not the boat. change the crew to an All American crew.
So you see, you should never had said that,

With Kostecki gone and Ainslee on the boat there's only 1 American aboard.

And the irony of that is the boat is way faster

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Unless they pull out some sort of miracle to cure their overwhelming inferiority sailing upwind, Oracle doesn't stand a chance. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is over Sunday.
The miracle is out there and winning races.

Where did they get that extra up-wind speed from? Some legs of the last race they were doing 34 knots upwind, fully foiling.

And now we're down to real match racing.

It's not over til it's over,

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-16-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

In the first race Oracle won the winds were high. And Oracle did well on the 3rd leg. The next two races won by Oracle saw close to the max winds and Oracle won handily. The last race yesterday the winds dropped a bit and ETNZ won.

I don't know for sure it's just the winds and I don't know where the split lies if it is, but so far Oracle hasn't won a race when the winds weren't blowing hard (relative to the max.)
Old 09-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

ETNZ was ahead, at least, when the race was scrubbed on Sat for high winds.

Still, this has been a more interesting series than I expected. I still think that seeing sailors in body armor and helmets is silly, but there is enough competitiveness to make this worth watching.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-17-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
In the first race Oracle won the winds were high. And Oracle did well on the 3rd leg. The next two races won by Oracle saw close to the max winds and Oracle won handily. The last race yesterday the winds dropped a bit and ETNZ won.

I don't know for sure it's just the winds and I don't know where the split lies if it is, but so far Oracle hasn't won a race when the winds weren't blowing hard (relative to the max.)
I think you are right. The pundits have said all along that Oracle is faster in more breeze. They have done some mods to their boat recently, and it would be really interesting to see if they are still competitive in the lighter stuff.

Imagine if it got REALLY light and they found themselves without a sprit to fly a code zero!
Hull#101