SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Racing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/)
-   -   America's Cup opening races (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/103427-americas-cup-opening-races.html)

Minnewaska 09-07-2013 09:49 AM

America's Cup opening races

I suppose I'm going to try to stream them from anchor this afternoon. Despite the advantage of keeping the races in the US, I find myself having to root against Oracle. Let the races go to NZ and we can get them back with another club. Hopefully, Ellison is banned in the meantime.

It doesn't seem like they are the commercial success they hoped either.....

Quote:

In fact, with fewer competitors than anticipated taking part in the preliminary racing this summer, the crowds at San Francisco's waterfront were significantly lighter than planned for and merited a reduced police presence, said Sergeant Dennis Toomer of the San Francisco Police Department.

"Because the boaters have scaled back, we've scaled back," he said. The crowds have been so light, he said, that "sometimes it's hard to decide if people are out there for the America's Cup or for a walk."
. :rolleyes:

JulieMor 09-07-2013 11:59 AM

Re: America's Cup opening races

I guess Ellison found out there aren't as many billionaires as he thought willing to plunk down a few hundred mil or so just to see their yachts break into pieces. Whoda thunk?

overbored 09-07-2013 01:48 PM

I don't understand the negative about these all out race machines having some technical difficulties in a year old race class. Ever watch the indy 500, the FI, Reno air races or the redneck mud bogs. they all have break downs because they are pushing the limit. Even the 4 knot s**t boxes we sail had their problems in their day and still do. remember the 12 meter that broke in two in 15 knots of breeze. The Americas cup boats are always at the edge of the technology for the time. The boats are amazing and the people that had the vision that it could be done are some of the most amazing people on the plant.
Root against your own team now thats the sprit

blt2ski 09-07-2013 02:08 PM

Personally, Not sure it is root against your own team, as it is root against someone that does not seem to want to play fair per say. I do hope the US retains the cup. But prefer it not to be Ellison!

as far as break downs go. No different than the volvo 70's or equal in the round the world race(s). A few other class's that push the envelope per say do have break downs also. For many it is more of the high brow we are above you all attitude of one group.

Marty

JonEisberg 09-07-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 1085534)
Root against your own team now thats the sprit

Sorry, but the fact that Team Oracle is underwritten by a billionaire who happens to be an American isn't sufficient to make a syndicate headed by a Kiwi in Russell Coutts, and a boat skippered by an Aussie in Jimmy Spithill, qualify as "my team"... :-)

I'll be pulling for ETNZ all the way, sending the Cup back down to Auckland, and to a country where the general populace truly appreciates yachting, would seem to be the best chance to restore some sanity to the event, at this point...

azguy 09-07-2013 02:33 PM

As a kid growing up in Boston my family thought I was weird watching AC racing on ESPN and just loving it, this latest concoction of AC racing is just awful. I've yet to see one "exciting" race and there is no doubt Ellison is bad for the sport.

AC racing should be reasonable size mono-hulls IMHO....

poopdeckpappy 09-07-2013 02:52 PM

Ahh yeah, the AC, forgot about that.

capta 09-07-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonEisberg (Post 1085545)
Sorry, but the fact that Team Oracle is underwritten by a billionaire who happens to be an American isn't sufficient to make a syndicate headed by a Kiwi in Russell Coutts, and a boat skippered by an Aussie in Jimmy Spithill, qualify as "my team"... :-)
I'll be pulling for ETNZ all the way, sending the Cup back down to Auckland, and to a country where the general populace truly appreciates yachting, would seem to be the best chance to restore some sanity to the event, at this point...

Well I guess there are just no Americans that can sail these boats? It's absolutely disgusting that these races have progressed to the point that you have few Americans on a boat representing the USA. I don't think a boat representing a country should be crewed by an international crew, but only crew members from that country. Hell, it's even the same in the Olympics these days.
I'm absolutely fascinated by these boats and would love an opportunity to sail one, but I guess I'm just not welcome, being an American!
First the rule changes that allow a boat to finish w/o the same crew it started with, then penalty points assessed if a boat hits a mark instead of the traditional re-rounding of the mark and now boats from Italy, Sweden and the US with few, if any, nationals aboard.
I have no problem with pushing the envelope, experimenting with designs that allow a sailing boat to reach speeds in excess of 50 mph in 18 knots of wind, but calling these internationally crewed boats representatives of a particular country is just ludicrous.
It really doesn't matter who wins, for anything other than the racing venue, the Kiwis and Aussies and Pomes are running all the boats, anyway. So we Americans who think we are "sailors" on this site should rethink that, as we obviously are not capable or qualified to call ourselves that, compared to the descendents of the British Empire. Once again, "Britannia rules the waves" even though we whipped their asses for more than half a century in the AC.

smurphny 09-07-2013 03:56 PM

Bring it back to Newport.:) The whole thing has somehow lost it's "class." I like the hi-tech but it has become a detached event since Dennis Connor lost the cup. I agree American boats should be manned by American citizens.

bobperry 09-07-2013 04:12 PM

I'll root for ORACLE.
Some one has too. I'll sit in the ORACLE section of the bleachers all by myself.

It's just a boat race in extremely interesting boats. A boat race.
I'll leave it to the really smart people to try and turn it into a complex international social /economic/political incident.