Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 34 - What If?

I am not sure that one skipper stands out over the other. Starts are probably close to equal, given that since it is not a windward start being marginally over the line first doesn't help, rather it is the first to the circle at mark one gains rounding rights and the leeward boat can have the advantage there. In the last few races that has gone to the boat with port entry.
Secondly covering the trailing boat is standard match racing. When close enough behind for it to count JS has set up split tacks which put ETNZ in a position of having to do two tacks to cover, or at best an extra tack if left.
Where once ETNZ was tacking better OR did better in the last race or two so they may be less ready to get into a tacking duel. That means there is some risk of the opposition picking up a windshift as OR did.
Both are top level skippers, but it doesn't mean that neither will make a mistake which can be costly in a 20 minute race.
It is a spectacle surely and can be exciting, however the venue gives a short narrow circuit with a pretty constant wind reducing the wind variability and tactics and strategy.
There have been other exciting races, albeit slower.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I could be completely wrong about this - but my gut hunch is that Larry E doesn't care that much about the actual Cup. He cares more about the ACWS. That's a very tv-friendly style of racing that could work on a continual basis - world-wide - and could generate real revenue. I think that's the value he really sees. Will he spin that out of the AC and try to serialize it into an actual Nascar/F1-like sporting event?

I would if I were him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
As I watch the sailing world warm up (sort of) to the AC72s, I wonder what the pressure will be for the next AC to do something jaw dropping. Can you really go back to slower boats after this and not lose fans? Is there any place in NZ that has the consistent winds SF Bay does? This might be hard to top.
Dalton is on record as saying two things that are both in my view game changers. If they win the cup (and whilst that may appear likely it isn't yet guaranteed) their intention is:

- to make it more affordable and encourage more syndicates to participate. That doesn't mean slower boats - it just means smaller, less expensive ones.

- to make the entries more "national" - don't know whether he means that participants (crew) will be required to hold a passport of the country they're sailing for or if just the syndicate represents a country. That is contradictory to AC protocol in my view because historically the Defender and Challenger were required to represent a legitimate yacht club, not a country. Unkindly I think he means the former because as I have suggested in previous posts, if New Zealanders are forced to sail for New Zealand, the challengers have a considerably smaller pool of talent to draw on and ETNZ will have the best of the best.

Let's see who wins this AC before speculating.

Oh, and no, we (Auckland) don't have those consistent winds but then racing shouldn't be only about heavy-ish weather. It's always been said that real sailors win in light airs. I wouldn't mind seeing these monsters sailing downwind under an acre of Code Zero. I reckon they could triple true wind speed.
Faster likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-17-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What are we getting for the billions invested?
I think it has been established the US doesn't fund sailing so for most US citizens anything gotten out of it is a bonus since they do not have anything invested. The 'billions invested' is a bit of an over reach.
Old 09-17-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's a very tv-friendly style of racing that could work on a continual basis - world-wide - and could generate real revenue.
Just don't think it will go mainstream. Not enough interest per capita with NZ and posssibly OZ being the exception.
Old 09-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think it has been established the US doesn't fund sailing so for most US citizens anything gotten out of it is a bonus since they do not have anything invested. The 'billions invested' is a bit of an over reach.
You've taken the comment a bit too literally. Ellison drew up a format that cost so much that all but a few couldn't even pay for the boat. All they got for that incredible increase in cost is a faster boat. The rest of the race is the same stuff.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I disagree, I think the speed is incredibly thrilling. The crosses, quick moves, and near misses at 40+ knots are finally making yacht racing exciting. It's really amplifying the little mistakes much more than you'd see in the old mono racing...and making it compelling for a wider audience.

I still think this is the right direction for the AC. If they abandon foiling multis, they're fools.
Who recommended going back to monos? I just see no advantage in these hulls that are so expensive, entire teams had to take a pass. The only time I can really distinguish how fast they are going, is when they show a camera shot perpendicular to the boat, so you can see the water going by. However, I can't see the race itself in that shot. When the shot is from a helicopter, I would love to see someone shown a 30 kt and a 40 kt boat and try to tell the difference consistently.

The races are more exciting than I expected, I just don't see how the incredible investment was necessary. If they raced the 45s, it would have been just as exciting, for example.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-17-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Any predictions on how today's races will go?
Old 09-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Who recommended going back to monos? I just see no advantage in these hulls that are so expensive, entire teams had to take a pass. The only time I can really distinguish how fast they are going, is when they show a camera shot perpendicular to the boat, so you can see the water going by. However, I can't see the race itself in that shot. When the shot is from a helicopter, I would love to see someone shown a 30 kt and a 40 kt boat and try to tell the difference consistently.

The races are more exciting than I expected, I just don't see how the incredible investment was necessary. If they raced the 45s, it would have been just as exciting, for example.
I totally agree with you on the 45s. That was some great racing.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-18-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I totally agree with you on the 45s. That was some great racing.
An AC45 wit a more powerful rig, some foils and you have a real budget AC72 with all the required sailing skills and nobody gets killed - hard to disagree with that.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke