Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Kiwis must be frustrated, but the rules are far from dumb. Time limits are nothing new and they impact your strategy. You may have to choose between blocking and running for the line before the time expires. The max wind limit is smart on these boats as well. These teams would push themselves to catastrophe without a limit.

That said, has Oracle been penalized yet? I recall twice to NZ. Each boat has had there good and bad races. I hope it goes 8-8 with a final showdown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013

sailwatcher is on a distinguished road

This has been rather bizarre to watch. I'm no sailor. Just a fairly casual, but interested fan.
I missed todays races due to a soccer match I had committed to going to. But I was completely shocked that Oracle, which has had its back against a wall for what seems like eternity now, pulled out two more wins, and now the regatta is fairly close---but could still end any day with one more NZ win.

The racing has been mostly fun to watch. I do love the foiling. I liked the drama of Oracle falling back so far, but then the race being abandoned. Well, maybe once. After a while, the drama from these strictures get old.

While I love the speed of the cats, I do miss the maneuverability of the monos. Frankly, I don't care whether the next AC is for cats or monos, but I also hope the DOG itself is never amended to require cats (if it even can be. I don't know how amendments work).

I'd sort of like smaller boats back. I liked the size of the AC 45's pretty well, but weren't those OD's? AC should never be OD. Hell, I don't even like it for the VOR.
Old 09-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwatcher View Post
I missed todays races due to a soccer match I had committed to going to.
You needn't miss anything.. the races are live on Youtube, but you can review/rewind/rewatch all the races there anytime you like.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
sailwatcher (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road

After seeing Faster's vid about foiling moths (another thread) and a vid on production foils for Lasers, the age of the traditional mono-hull may be past. Those boats are incredible.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You needn't miss anything.. the races are live on Youtube, but you can review/rewind/rewatch all the races there anytime you like.
YouTube is blocked live for me, since the first race day. It says it's blocked in the US, but it may be regional. I haven't been able to see the races on youTube until 6 hrs later. If I go straight there over coffee in the morning, I have often seen the race before I hear the result.

If I happen to be able to catch them live, the NBC Sports iPad/iPhone app has worked well. It's free, but you must sigh up via your cable TV account. You don't pay your cable carrier, you just need to have already paid for the service indirectly.

While not live, it's nice to catch them on Youtube without commercials.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-23-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

You still need not miss anything. There are several ad-ons to spoof you to appear in another country like Hola unblocker, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
YouTube is blocked live for me, since the first race day. It says it's blocked in the US, but it may be regional. I haven't been able to see the races on youTube until 6 hrs later. If I go straight there over coffee in the morning, I have often seen the race before I hear the result.

If I happen to be able to catch them live, the NBC Sports iPad/iPhone app has worked well. It's free, but you must sigh up via your cable TV account. You don't pay your cable carrier, you just need to have already paid for the service indirectly.

While not live, it's nice to catch them on Youtube without commercials.
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

By the time the Kiwis had their commanding lead in the series, I had found myself coming up with all sorts of reasons why it was so lopsided but couldn't accept the possibility Oracle's problem against Emirate was one of experience.

Oracle was getting killed on the 3dr leg and it seemed no matter what kind of lead they had built at the start and on the 2nd leg, it was erased and then some in the 3rd leg. Now Oracle is winning that leg. They are even getting up on their foils, something many doubted these boats could do to windward.

When I watched the races yesterday I began to understand just how much of an advantage the challenger had racing in the LV series. The AC72 is a brand new boat, foiling is a new concept to the AC, and there's a high learning curve becoming proficient with these boats. I'm beginning to think the early drubbings Oracle had taken were mostly due to lack of experience with the AC72.

In yesterday's races I saw an Oracle team that simply out-sailed Emirates. Then made better tactical decisions, got better speed out of their boat and found the better winds. I don't know how much was the addition of Ainslie to the crew, but it seems he and Spithill are really in synch.

I know the chances of Oracle winning the remaining races is slim. They really can't make a mistake. But while I'd be amazed if they did, there's a part of me that almost expecting it... almost.
Old 09-23-2013

Oracle will lose this for one reason and one reason only. They were not prepared. They did not get their boat up to speed until it was too late. They did not learn how to sail it until it was too late.

Sure it is great that ETNZ got to sail in more "competitions" than did OTUSA. But these guys are professionals. They have teams of analysts looking at the data. They had every opportunity to practice and know exactly how ENTZ sails in every single wind condition/angle. They had two boats to practice against eachother however they wanted. OTUSA just did not get it together fast enough. Had the competition started today, it would be a way different AC.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Using golf as an analogy, I liken Oracle's practicing against their teammates to a golf pro competing against his or her caddy. While Emirates would be more like the golf pro out playing on tour against other pros, where one shot can mean being eliminated from the tournament. Oracle was in the Cup regardless. The challenger has to earn their way and when something like that is on the line, you work harder to get there.
Old 09-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Using golf as an analogy, I liken Oracle's practicing against their teammates to a golf pro competing against his or her caddy. While Emirates would be more like the golf pro out playing on tour against other pros, where one shot can mean being eliminated from the tournament. Oracle was in the Cup regardless. The challenger has to earn their way and when something like that is on the line, you work harder to get there.
On the surface, I think your point makes sense. But these guys are professionals, and there is serious coin being invested in this. They have the data and a room full of analysts looking at every aspect of every second of ENTZ's prior races. They have rooms full of engineers looking at every aspect of the boat and its performance. And the sailors were great sailors before this competition.

And they know exactly who they are practicing against, and the limitations of such. There is no excuse for them suddenly getting an extra six or more knots out of their boats a week too late.