Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
Oracle will lose this for one reason and one reason only. They were not prepared. They did not get their boat up to speed until it was too late. They did not learn how to sail it until it was too late.

Sure it is great that ETNZ got to sail in more "competitions" than did OTUSA. But these guys are professionals. They have teams of analysts looking at the data. They had every opportunity to practice and know exactly how ENTZ sails in every single wind condition/angle. They had two boats to practice against eachother however they wanted. OTUSA just did not get it together fast enough. Had the competition started today, it would be a way different AC.
You'll notice that I was convinced earlier in this thread that this would be over very quickly. I've been surprised.

Jimmy sucked at the starts early on, as well as the tacks. He was aggressive, but always late. This has obviously changed. And that in itself is impressive...to gain so much so quickly.

It's also been interested watching Dean kind of crater. The pressure really seems to be knocking him. On the flip-side of the competition issue you guys are discussing, I think the fact that no one EVER really challenged NZ throughout the LVS is actually hurting them now. They're wilting instead of rising.

All that said, I think they'll win it. OR is just too far down. But it is definitely the best AC racing I've ever seen. Period.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Oracle will lose this for one reason and one reason only. They were not prepared. They did not get their boat up to speed until it was too late. They did not learn how to sail it until it was too late.
Why are you saying it is too late? Oracle has momentum, and a slightly faster boat now. Two wins today for Oracle, and they can wrap it up tomorrow with two more wins. That doesn't seem so impossible, does it? It puts incredible pressure on the defender, no doubt. New Zealand might win the first race today, who knows? But, it's not too late for the U.S. boat. Just sayin....

Ralph
Old 09-23-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's also been interested watching Dean kind of crater. The pressure really seems to be knocking him. On the flip-side of the competition issue you guys are discussing, I think the fact that no one EVER really challenged NZ throughout the LVS is actually hurting them now. They're wilting instead of rising.
I can't believe my eyes. He is looking frustrated, intimidated and extremely rattled. That is not the kind of thing he should be bringing to the press conferences.

He has a lead that is near insurmountable. Instead of looking so worn and beaten, he should just be maintaining the way he carried himself earlier. "Oracle is a formidable opponent, we don't take our lead for granted, each race requires 100% effort, and that will bring us success, we never assumed that Oracle would not win some races," etc.
Old 09-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Why are you saying it is too late? Oracle has momentum, and a slightly faster boat now. Two wins today for Oracle, and they can wrap it up tomorrow with two more wins. That doesn't seem so impossible, does it? It puts incredible pressure on the defender, no doubt. New Zealand might win the first race today, who knows? But, it's not too late for the U.S. boat. Just sayin....

Ralph
I am an Oracle fan. I would like nothing more than to see them win, especially in this comeback. Would this be the greatest comeback in the history of sports? The greatest victory in the history of sports right up there with the 1980 USA hockey team? This comeback is freaking outrageously cool. And I am not saying it is impossible. Just near impossible. At this level, any given day could throw the race one way or another on luck alone. That is why they have so many races.

But just being honest. Oracle is dominating now and with better preparation, they could have just dominated the whole thing. They did lose their wing trimmer. They did lack "real competition." But come on?
Old 09-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I'm hoping this get tied up 8-8. That would be an awesome following race!

While Oracle has won 7 races, they only have 5 points, begin docked two to start with. They need to sweep again today and the first race tomorrow. I have to clear my calendar tomorrow afternoon, if possible!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Barker needs to try for that inside lane at the start.. that luff/delay both races put them behind at the get go.. Doesn't explain the whole scenario, but if they at least 'won' the first mark that would help.

But lately it's just like the first 4 or 5 races, only with roles reversed.... so why???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Barker needs to try for that inside lane at the start.. that luff/delay both races put them behind at the get go.. Doesn't explain the whole scenario, but if they at least 'won' the first mark that would help.

But lately it's just like the first 4 or 5 races, only with roles reversed.... so why???

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

FWIW, Emirates longest win streak in the series is 3, which they have done twice. Oracle now has a 3-win streak. And that's in part thanks to the one race exceeding the time limit. So I'm thinking Oracle has another win or two in their pocket.

It was on September 26, 1983 that the Aussies broke the longest winning streak in all of sports. Right now there are no races scheduled for the 26th with 2 today and 2 tomorrow (9/24) but we've seen a lot of races cancelled. So in the Even More Unlikely Scenario category, it would be possible to have the Cup decided again on September 26th.
Old 09-23-2013

OTUSA win streak is 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
FWIW, Emirates longest win streak in the series is 3, which they have done twice. Oracle now has a 3-win streak. And that's in part thanks to the one race exceeding the time limit. So I'm thinking Oracle has another win or two in their pocket.

It was on September 26, 1983 that the Aussies broke the longest winning streak in all of sports. Right now there are no races scheduled for the 26th with 2 today and 2 tomorrow (9/24) but we've seen a lot of races cancelled. So in the Even More Unlikely Scenario category, it would be possible to have the Cup decided again on September 26th.
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OTUSA win streak is 4.
Hmmm... maybe their time is shorter than I thought.