Originally Posted by jzk View Post
otusa win streak is 4.
5?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 34 - What If?

In the post race interview on NBC, Dean Barker looks like he has given up. 3 races to go.
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 34, Race 16

Dummy me got involved in other stuff before realizing what time it was. It was 4:30 Central when it hit me. So I'm wondering if I turn on the TV will I find it's all over? Then I see the results. This is really unbelievable!

If Oracle pulls this off, I wonder what that will do to the next AC. Ellison isn't the most popular guy in sailing. If he keeps the same format, will we see another limited entry on the challenger side? A few days ago I think anyone following this was convinced NZ will be deciding what happens in the next AC. Now I'm not so sure.
Old 09-23-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
YouTube is blocked live for me, since the first race day. It says it's blocked in the US, but it may be regional. I haven't been able to see the races on youTube until 6 hrs later. If I go straight there over coffee in the morning, I have often seen the race before I hear the result.

If I happen to be able to catch them live, the NBC Sports iPad/iPhone app has worked well. It's free, but you must sigh up via your cable TV account. You don't pay your cable carrier, you just need to have already paid for the service indirectly.

While not live, it's nice to catch them on Youtube without commercials.
I got this from CF:
Quote:
You can stream it via a proxy server from another country.

The easiest way to do that is to use Firefox with the Hola unblocker plug-in (Hola is also available for Windows Internet Explorer, Android, Chrome and other browsers) it's also free.

Hola puts a little flamming smiley in your toolbar. Open the AC feed on YouTube, if it shows 'blocked' just click the Hola smiley and choose another country to proxy from. Bada Boom, Badda Bing ... AC racing on your monitor sans cable fees. You gotta love hackers.
Old 09-23-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Or will it be the year of the asterisk; NZ with more points and USA with more wins?
chef2sail likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

My guess is that IF ETNZ manages to pull off a win and take the cup, Ellison will have a pack of lawyers in court for years trying to take it back by challenging the penalty.

Of course given their history of cheating, one can't help but wonder if the modifications they made to their boat to make it faster were legal...

There could be all kinds of asterisks on this AC!
Hull#101
Old 09-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I agree that it looks like Barker is giving up - in the last race he was the leeward boat and Spithill was windward of him. Despite Spithill luffing Barker in three races, Barker allowed Spithill to sail right on by without even an attempt to push him to weather and slow him down. From a multiple world champ match racer that was a display of a total lack of aggression. And that is no way to win against Spithill who displays aggression in every move he makes.

But here's what I think of the change in fortune.

ETNZ has had a lot of racing, time to get their boat going and learn all there was to learn. And compared to everything else, they looked hard to beat. Along came Oracle and they couldn't keep up. For a while. Then they start hammering ETNZ on a regular basis and suddenly they look invincible.

So maybe intrinsically, their boat was always a better design. But they took longer to learn how it worked or rather, they had less race time. But as they got to know the boat better, they were able to explore/develop its true potential.

And that potential was/is better than the potential of ETNZ's boat which has been at its peak for a while and has nothing further to offer.

And as I said in another (or earlier) post these AC series have for years been a runaway train for the better boat. And if the Oracle boat is better and is now delivering its full potential, nobody should be surprised if Oracle win the next three races.

As much as it burns my a$$ to see ETNZ starting to routinely lose, I must acknowledge that Oracle at this time look like they won't require a court case to win - they just need the next three races.
smackdaddy and JulieMor like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 09-24-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
My guess is that IF ETNZ manages to pull off a win and take the cup, Ellison will have a pack of lawyers in court for years trying to take it back by challenging the penalty.

Of course given their history of cheating, one can't help but wonder if the modifications they made to their boat to make it faster were legal...

There could be all kinds of asterisks on this AC!
You must keep in mind that this is not match racing in the true sense of the word. True match racing involves identical boats and in the serious regattas the skippers rotate boats to make sure there is no equipment advantage.

AC may resemble match racing but the boats can, within the rule, be whatever they are needed to be. Example: Oracle removed their bowsprit. Made the boat lighter. Reduced windage. Did this violate the rule? Not at all. ETNZ lost two crew members over the side. Made the boat lighter. Did this violate the rule? Apparently not. So where do the changes/modifications begin and end? I don't believe that the rules in this race are the same as they were in the ACWS where the boats were class-governed.

So cheating is probably not an element of concern.

Let's face it, Oracle have found the perfect balance. Their boat has become stable, fast and easy to manage. It's going to be hard to beat. ETNZ now need to pray for Spithill to screw something up.

For me the real enduring pity is that if ETNZ loses, they may not be back and that would be a real loss for the future of the AC.
Faster likes this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-24-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
As much as I hate to say it - I think this is the real asterisk in this race.
A turn around this quickly will definitely raise eyebrows. And that's all on OR's cheating history.

Still - this is yacht racing my friends.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-24-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

As a Yank (well, sorta, this is New Orleans after all) I'd like to see Oracle take it.

But I also think the Kiwis might be better as hosts, and as keepers of the Cup. Might we actually return to national crews?? Heaven forfend..

But this series has stopped me from whining about how the monohulls (I grew up in M'head with the 12s, two of which were built there in the boatyard I worked in as a kid) were better and more "pure" racing. I now see that these machines are once again the "space program" for sailing, and the tactics and tacking have their own rhythm--just different from the monos is all, but still really exciting in a close race. I gotta keep up with the times.
chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.