Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
I agree, odds are there were higher-ups who knew and the named team members were just thrown out as an attempt to sacrifice a few so the team could carry on. But the problem I have is that the Jury decision offered no evidence anyone else was involved. They should therefore rule only on the evidence at hand. Suspicions have no place in making their decision.
I'm an admitted cynic. I don't think they wanted more evidence that would have made it harder to avoid a full ban. I doubt they vehemently completed a real investigation or they would know how the weights were removed. I mean seriously, who would put weights in for the purpose of cheating and not want the helmsman to know if they were there or not? Makes no sense.

Quote:
......if they felt that for the good of the sport the Cup Match needs to carry on, they could have said that too and, IMHO, that would be a pretty stand up thing to do. Don't punish the innocents.
Can you imagine the publicity that they are allowing a full on cheater to compete anyway, because its good for the sport? Just because it may be honest, wouldn't make it work for them. I also don't think anyone innocent has been punished.

Quote:
But I really have a tough time believing Ellison had prior knowledge about the infraction. I can't believe anyone would risk hundreds of millions of dollars AND their reputation just to win some World Series matches.
How many billionaires do you know? I'm not sure I know any, but know a few contenders. It takes a real narcissism to get there. Don't underestimate their need for self gratification, winning and admiration. Millions, by the way, to Ellison is like you and I paying our slip fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013

kentobin is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska,

After reading your post it made me wonder how long this behavior has been going on and not just at the America's cup. I don't think these guys just got up one morning and out of the blue decided to rig the game.

One usually learns bad behavior from their peers.

You're a cynic and I'm jaded. :-)

Ken
Minnewaska likes this.
Old 09-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

I actually can't imagine a person like Ellison compromising his integrity for something this insubstantial. This is a hobby to him. Who puts their very considerable professional integrity on the line for a hobby? Only a stupid person. And Ellison is not one of those. So based on that I reckon he didn't know.

I also don't believe some shore-side personnel or sailing crew would take it upon themselves to illegally modify a boat. What have they to gain? Especially if their superiors don't know.

So who gets to win or lose?

Only the direct team management. If they keep losing races they don't only lose races, they lose their jobs. If they keep winning, they keep winning at a lot more than just sailing. These guys don't get paid peanuts. I would take one of their jobs in a heartbeat.

And it is (at least it is to me) interesting that none of the guilty parties were actually fired or if they were it wasn't made public. Is that perhaps because they can't be? For good reason? If they compromised the professional integrity of the 5th richest man in the world and weren't fired, there's more to this than we can see.
JulieMor likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
The Following User Says Thank You to Omatako For This Useful Post:
kentobin (09-10-2013)
Old 09-09-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Not sure what part of the race you are referring to Andre. If it was the first mark after the start of the first race they got hit with bad air so the hull touching the water was the result.
No, I'm speaking of the top mark, where ETNZ did their spectacular nosedive and where the bear-away is so spooky. Oracle kept their boat real quiet around the bear-away mark to the point were their leeward hull was firmly in the water all the way round the mark. By contrast ETNZ were foiling and boat speed climbing into the thirties by the time they got to the mark. There is a 100yd advantage right there. In races 3 and 4 Oracle did that better and look at the results.

Quote:
That said - Go ETNZ!
Couldn't say it better. And recent news in NZ (last night) is that if ETNZ wins, the government will seriously consider another contribution of $40m - if they lose, move on. So it would seem they have one shot - "Go hard or go home".

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-10-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And recent news in NZ (last night) is that if ETNZ wins, the government will seriously consider another contribution of $40m
Yeah I saw that headline in the Herald too. Seems to be a bit harsh given that a lot of the racers across the boats are NZers.
Old 09-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I actually can't imagine a person like Ellison compromising his integrity for something this insubstantial. This is a hobby to him. Who puts their very considerable professional integrity on the line for a hobby?.......
Google the dozens of interviews with Ellison over the years, on all matters, and tell me he gives a hoot what anyone thinks about him. He is very clear in both business and sailing, its all about winning. Nearly a quote.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
......And recent news in NZ (last night) is that if ETNZ wins, the government will seriously consider another contribution of $40m.......
While I'm still pulling for ETNZ, in hopes Ellison will pack it in, I'm not really good with government sponsored teams going forward either. If China, Russia, US or the EU decide they want to buy a team for national pride, its obviously not too hard to buy the talent. That's a game NZ can't win, so should be careful.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
That's a game NZ can't win
Don't know about that since a lot of the talent that has been 'purchased' comes from NZ.
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Don't know about that since a lot of the talent that has been 'purchased' comes from NZ.
I think you've missed my point. The countries I listed have substantially more purchasing power than NZ and would hire away the rest of their talent, as well as the rest of the world's top sailors. If NZ provokes national sponsorship, they will lose their best talent.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 09-10-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-10-2013

Russell Coutts being the exception, there is a lot of national pride in the land of Kiwis concerning sailing.