Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Back off, this isn't the place for it and you point out it has no relevance to the topic. Which was my point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Perhaps they were testing techniques that would carry over.
After watching that pathetic "foiling tack" I'd say they need to do a lot more testing before they are ready to defend the Cup. I was expecting to see a close match. But the Kiwis just seem to own the 3rd leg of the race. That leg is probably responsible for 90% of the overall time margin they have won by.

There was some speculation yesterday that the Oracle boat was simply harder to sail. I can't help but wonder if the loss of de Ridder has had something to do with it. Whatever, unless Oracle pulls out a miraculous recovery, the Cup is headed Down Under. But I'm okay with that. From what I've seen, the Kiwis will appreciate the win much more than the Americans would. Still, I'd like to see a close competition.
Old 09-11-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

They certainly gave up time and the lead by poorly executing the foiling tack itself, however, the tactical choice to cross the course is what really killed them. They may have survived being slower through the water, if they hadn't sailed a course that was both longer than arguably more exposed to head current when it mattered most.

I think the boat is just a mess right now, in the scheme of competition at this level. Very possibly due to the loss of experienced crew, but they brought that on themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They certainly gave up time and the lead by poorly executing the foiling tack itself, however, the tactical choice to cross the course is what really killed them. They may have survived being slower through the water, if they hadn't sailed a course that was both longer than arguably more exposed to head current when it mattered most.

I think the boat is just a mess right now, in the scheme of competition at this level. Very possibly due to the loss of experienced crew, but they brought that on themselves.
Exactly... Poor Kostecki, I hope they had him on suicide watch overnight :-)

Brad Butterworth definitely wins the Cheap Shot Sweepstakes, however, with his comment after the race on NBC about the decision made at the bottom mark, that "the inmates are now running the asylum"... Very disappointing, that's the sort of thing you'd expect to see posted on SAILING ANARCHY, not heard from a fellow sailor of such high caliber, at that level of the sport... Perhaps it was intended as a joke, but it sure didn't come off that way...
Old 09-11-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Back off, this isn't the place for it
Well Minne you brought up the government funding so I guess questioning one governments decisions doesn't merit anothers considerations. 'Backing off' now.
Old 09-11-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

That was a really weird comment by Butterworth. He almost seemed to be swallowing hard as he said it, like the words were trying to leave his mouth before his brain could stop them.
Old 09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Well Minne you brought up the government funding so I guess questioning one governments decisions doesn't merit anothers considerations. 'Backing off' now.
Happy to discuss what I brought up, just not the craven political war soapbox that have absolutely nothing to do with it.

I brought up government funding of a private sailing team being a bad idea. Specifically, if it became a matter of national pride to win the AC, government treasuries make Ellisons billions look paltry. Seeing what his influence was would only be magnified. I'm glad it hasn't taken hold, but it could. It has in some Olympic sports and ruined the spirit entirely, IMO.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 09-12-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Government funding is about choices for allocation of resources hence the topic digression. Your last post appears to lament Larry's inability to compete financially with governments. Got to say I got my hanky out for him. Don't think the NZ government has a big enough budget to scare Larry.

As you can surmise I would prefer it the other way i.e. without fat cats footing the bill. I know this tradition goes back to inception but if this is the main event in sailing so I would prefer a more egalitarian approach that is inherent by government funding.
Old 09-12-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Since taking a shot at the US funding wars needed to be part of your argument, its lost credibility in my eyes.

Ellison, as defender, has taken the cost to this new level. I just realized, I'm not really rooting for ETNZ to win, I'm just rooting for Ellison to lose. I look forward to taking it back in AC35, hopefully without Ellison and without the need to be funded by uber-billionaires and governments.
Yes, that was silly of of me, I apologise, The US doesn't fund wars. What was I thinking.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
....Your last post appears to lament Larry's inability to compete financially with governments. Got to say I got my hanky out for him. Don't think the NZ government has a big enough budget to scare Larry.
Then it came across wrong. I'm suggesting, if you drag the world's governments into AC race funding, the pockets get even deeper than Ellison's. Its unhealthy. If Ellison's wealth could create a stage that many could not compete on, imagine what would happen if the G20 resources were available? A list, btw, that NZ is not on, but their buddies in Australia are.

Quote:
As you can surmise I would prefer it the other way i.e. without fat cats footing the bill. I know this tradition goes back to inception but if this is the main event in sailing so I would prefer a more egalitarian approach that is inherent by government funding.
Perhaps we disagree, because you believe that government funding would be egalitarian. Governments are involved in funding Olympic sports and that has been far from a fair and equal opportunity between them.

Jeanneau 54DS