Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Yes, that was silly of of me, I apologise, The US doesn't fund wars. What was I thinking.
Subterfuge again? Do you have a point you would like to make about funding the AC, racing or sailing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Its unhealthy. If Ellison's wealth could create a stage that many could not compete on, imagine what would happen if the G20 resources were available?
Think I would prefer some G20 funding of sailing then their main concern of advocating for corporate oligarchs.

Quote:
Governments are involved in funding Olympic sports and that has been far from a fair and equal opportunity between them.
It isn't perfect, I'll give you that, but think it does bring a more level playing field. Could put a universal cap on government funding. But sure some freedom loving freedom lovers would take offense because money equals free speech.

Lastly I would like to say as you wrote in a previous post about this 'not being a place for it'. I don't think this is the place to issue imperatives to fellow posters like 'back off'. I have only commented on the points that have been brought up and have not made it personal.
Old 09-12-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

As to government funding - all you have to do is set a limit, like a salary cap. Then it could truly become an international event and not a corporate event. But are there enough Kiwis and Aussies to crew all the boats?
killarney_sailor likes this.
Old 09-12-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But are there enough Kiwis and Aussies to crew all the boats?
Good point Juli, that would be a worry. Know a guy who legendary off the start however he is 87 so might be a tad slow on switching helms. Would imagine most of the Kiwis racing would know who I'm referring to.
Old 09-12-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Right now, 17 races are scheduled. The first to win 9 races wins the Cup. But Oracle began the Match with -2 points. So it would take them 11 races to get to 9.

What if the score got to ETNZ 8, OTUSA 7? They would have raced all 17 races. Is there a provision in the rules that allows them to tack on more races?
Old 09-12-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Right now, 17 races are scheduled. The first to win 9 races wins the Cup. But Oracle began the Match with -2 points. So it would take them 11 races to get to 9.

What if the score got to ETNZ 8, OTUSA 7? They would have raced all 17 races. Is there a provision in the rules that allows them to tack on more races?
Is the *official* winning requirement "winning 9 races" or is it "winning the most of the 17 races"?
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2013

sailwatcher is on a distinguished road

Good question on Julie's part, but AFAIK, manatee is right. First team to the majority of 17.

I really like this format of this many races, but the racing hasn't been terribly exciting to me. I'm almost waiting for the offseason again, wondering whether the next AC's boat design parameters will be much the same or quite different.

Guess cats are here to stay.
Old 09-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If majority of 17 is the actual rule, then the Cup is won if NZ gets to 8, regardless of how many wins US has at the time. They would be mathematically eliminated. I have a feeling it doesn't work that way, as all the announcers keep referring to winning 9.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-12-2013

chris_gee is on a distinguished road

It is the first to nine however many that takes.
It is not unknown for governments to put some money into sport, often promotion and training. I think the NZ Government put in thirty or forty million - a small proportion. In past cups there has been public fundraising - like selling socks. A shortage of funds was why the government initially stepped in with a donation, but it sure is not government sponsored.
Now it seems sponsorship or rich guys indulgence.
I think it is possible to reach a point where the costs are so high they are largely prohibitive so the sport suffers.
In reality there have been few teams able to be serious competitors and frankly limited interest from most of the world.
On Sailnet there are very limited comments. On CF none. Anything Sailing none (partly perhaps as Guilletta let slip last time his disinterest arose because it wasn't held in Portugal, and besides the focus is on his race results.) Sailing Anarchy detailed discussion from probably the hard core. NZ well they get a bit stirred up with a national pride thing.
Old 09-13-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Subterfuge again? Do you have a point you would like to make about funding the AC, racing or sailing?
No, that comment was just tongue-in-cheek trying to suggest that governments have other things on their minds than AC contests that appeal to a quickly diminishing audience. But I think I made that point a while ago.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke