Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: AC 34 - What If?

Just watched the replay. The Kiwis are just the best sailors there are. Period.

It's like a clinic with every race. Much respect to Barker, Dalts and the rest of the NZ team. Bloody monsters - all of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

It's looking like a lock, alright, but one never knows for sure til it's over.. and I have to say I'm enjoying watching it more than I expected.. actually like the short race format, leaves more time for other stuff.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

I think it has more to do with the ability to design then the ability to race. Would prefer to see a true OD but I doubt that is going to happen.
Old 09-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think it has more to do with the ability to design then the ability to race. Would prefer to see a true OD but I doubt that is going to happen.
That would certainly 'prove' the better sailors, no doubt, but it's never been the basis of the Americas' Cup.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
At the end of the day, at least looking at the pure performance numbers of these two boats, you are very close to OD performance.

What's killing Oracle is bad starts, strategic mistakes, and general sloppiness. The only win they have came when NZ were guilty of these same things.

NZ is just better, smarter, and more consistent than OR. It's not really about the boats at this point.

Old 09-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It's looking like a lock, alright, but one never knows for sure til it's over.. and I have to say I'm enjoying watching it more than I expected..
I agree, I've really come around to better appreciating these boats, and the sailing involved, and have enjoyed watching them race immensely... At least, for those races or portions thereof that have been close, and competitive...

Although I'm pulling for the Kiwis, it's too bad the series seems not likely to go on beyond Sunday, I'd like to see more...
Old 09-13-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's not really about the boats at this point
Really! Oracle is getting hammered on the beat all the time. They really didn't have any real sail handling problems and did pretty much the same route as ETNZ and still were trounced upwind.

Added to this it is almost a complete white wash so far. The teams both contain arguably the best sailors in the world. If the boats were equal Oracle would be a lot more competitive.

This is from a person who wants ETNZ to win. Lastly, it's about time you chimed in Smack.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 09-13-2013

jzk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
At the end of the day, at least looking at the pure performance numbers of these two boats, you are very close to OD performance.

What's killing Oracle is bad starts, strategic mistakes, and general sloppiness. The only win they have came when NZ were guilty of these same things.

NZ is just better, smarter, and more consistent than OR. It's not really about the boats at this point.
These boats are far from the same. Oracle has won most of the starts. But, they just can't go upwind with ETNZ.
Old 09-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

It seems NZ is clearly faster upwind, but US has an edge downwind. That may reasonably even the boats out. However, if i had to choose, I would take the upwind boat every day. The real problem for the US is NZ has had better tactics, or at least hasn't screwed theirs up like OR has a few times, and has executed with near precision, which is what it really takes to win the AC.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-13-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzk View Post
These boats are far from the same. Oracle has won most of the starts. But, they just can't go upwind with ETNZ.
They're not far from the same at all. I agree with Minne's breakdown of the upwind/downwind advantages, but they are minimal (hence the sub-minute splits at the finishes).

It's the sailing and strategy that's making the critical difference - not the boats. OR just can't sail as well as NZ. How do you blow a 40 second lead DOWNWIND on the first leg? By being OR.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-13-2013 at 11:40 PM.