Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it time to fire the crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think these last two races were somewhat of a vindication for Kostecki. If the upwind differential brtween the boats is that great then you need to try something even if you are marginally ahead at mark 2. It now painfully obvious ETNZ has the faster overall boat by a long shot.
Agree completely... Who better than the afterguard on ORACLE, to appreciate they are sailing the slower boat...

In hindsight, that foiling tack makes more sense, they felt compelled to sail out of the box to have a chance back upwind...

Really gotta feel for Kostecki - he's one of the most accomplished sailors on the planet, sailing in his home waters, and by all accounts I've ever heard, one of the nicest guys out there at that level of the sport...
Faster likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

By taking Kostecki off the boat they reduced their American crew content by 50% - just saying. But they have definitely got a better formula in the past few days.

Getting back to original post, the sailing of these boats must be compared to any other sport that requires a high level creative talent. That can't be switched on and off. It ebbs and flows and when you get it right it works when you don't it doesn't. The real dilemma is that there are a dozen talents on the boat and they all have be creatively in sync for the perfect performance.

ETNZ have twice shown what happens when the talent gets out of sync.

As far as foiling skills go, it must be remembered that when OTUSA dreamed up this design, they never even conceptualised foiling. It was Dalton's design team that spotted a "loophole" in the Rule that enabled them to design a foiling boat and it was only once they started sailing on foils in Auckland that OTUSA saw the light. From that moment on, they have been playing catch-up. I believe they have done a really good job of it.

And finally, wasn't de Ridder the mainsail trimmer? I didn't think he was the foil trimmer. Of course I could be wrong - often am.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-30-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I think now it's time to give them a raise.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Capta, you've got to understand that all this corporate sponsorship depends on viewers. So, you throw a few races beforehand, get everyone all excited about the comeback, hype it all up and get ten times the viewers.

Remember this is now a corporate sponsored sport, all business, and like any major sports franchise, it might have been choreographed ahead of time.

How's that for a conspiracy theory that explains why all the players keep their jobs?
Old 10-02-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Capta, you've got to understand that all this corporate sponsorship depends on viewers. So, you throw a few races beforehand, get everyone all excited about the comeback, hype it all up and get ten times the viewers.

Remember this is now a corporate sponsored sport, all business, and like any major sports franchise, it might have been choreographed ahead of time.

How's that for a conspiracy theory that explains why all the players keep their jobs?
There is no possible way anyone could have choreographed Dean Barker into willing participation in what happened to him.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-03-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I'd love to read the directions to that story.

And then the Kiwis tack without trimming the wing until the boat is heeled past 40 degrees. Balance there until the world is convinced it's going over. Then, after Oracle has passed, recover and sail on...
TTC likes this.
Old 10-09-2013

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I think these last two races were somewhat of a vindication for Kostecki. If the upwind differential brtween the boats is that great then you need to try something even if you are marginally ahead at mark 2. It now painfully obvious ETNZ has the faster overall boat by a long shot.
Really?
In retrospect, doesn't this entire thread demonstrate what inept armchair quarterbacks we all are? Glad they didn't "Fire the crew"!

Last edited by L124C; 10-09-2013 at 11:51 PM.