Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Imagine, if you will...

I am not a racer, but many, many years ago I did a bit on the Bay. I have sailed multihulls though, and if you haven't, I can tell you they are a creature of a different ilk.
So, imagine if you will, somebody has designed a couple of 72' cats that can go upwards of 40 knots. No really, try to imagine it.
Now somehow, these cats are racing in a race of international repute, let's say, the America's Cup. I know it's a stretch, but come on, get with the program here.
As they come up to the start, these two boats fight for position at the leeward mark. But these boats aren't monohulls and this normal bit of jockeying for a race start is less effective with these unconventional craft, especially at 10 to 20 knots.
Why wouldn't an intelligent skipper run his boat all the way up to the windward side of the start box, completely ignoring the other boat messing about at the leeward mark, get his boat up on the foils, yes, someone actually figured out how to foil these hypothetical cats, and run down to the start at 40 knots or more, blowing by the other boat dawdling at the leeward end of the start at a piddly 20 knots, and be in control of the race from the start.
Now as mentioned above, I am not a racer, and haven't been in nearly half a century, but just exactly is wrong with my scenario, seriously.
It seems to me all these guys sailing these AC 72's are still stuck in the monohull frame of mind. They keep playing the game as it has been played since the schooner America took the first cup race.
I would like to hear from you guys that race every week, especially the winners, and hear how your game would change, if you had an AC 72 to skipper.
Old 09-18-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Imagine, if you will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I am not a racer, but many, many years ago I did a bit on the Bay. I have sailed multihulls though, and if you haven't, I can tell you they are a creature of a different ilk.
So, imagine if you will, somebody has designed a couple of 72' cats that can go upwards of 40 knots. No really, try to imagine it.
Now somehow, these cats are racing in a race of international repute, let's say, the America's Cup. I know it's a stretch, but come on, get with the program here.
As they come up to the start, these two boats fight for position at the leeward mark. But these boats aren't monohulls and this normal bit of jockeying for a race start is less effective with these unconventional craft, especially at 10 to 20 knots.
Why wouldn't an intelligent skipper run his boat all the way up to the windward side of the start box, completely ignoring the other boat messing about at the leeward mark, get his boat up on the foils, yes, someone actually figured out how to foil these hypothetical cats, and run down to the start at 40 knots or more, blowing by the other boat dawdling at the leeward end of the start at a piddly 20 knots, and be in control of the race from the start.
Now as mentioned above, I am not a racer, and haven't been in nearly half a century, but just exactly is wrong with my scenario, seriously.
It seems to me all these guys sailing these AC 72's are still stuck in the monohull frame of mind. They keep playing the game as it has been played since the schooner America took the first cup race.
I would like to hear from you guys that race every week, especially the winners, and hear how your game would change, if you had an AC 72 to skipper.
Man are you in LALA land. What an incredible imagination you must have.

Anywho .... and this is just to humour you .... supposing we do accept your crazy scenario, what is to stop the dawdler from simply chasing the dawdlee to the same end of the starting line and we are back to square one ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

TD,

You've bit an ignoramous thread! master denby will not be pleased!

with that in mind, this idea sounds totally preposterous! yes indeedee!

THat is my story and I am sticken to it!

But to maybe sorta kinda answer the crazy idea, these things are basically drag racing ea other from point a to b........no real way to block the wind from one, no time to truly play match race games as you can with mono's........but, reality says, no one will do this. more money involved than I can imagine.

Back to ignoring!

Marty
Old 09-19-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Aw crap .... i've just noticed Capta asked for comments from winners. Sorry mate. I couldn't win a chook raffle.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-20-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Aw crap .... i've just noticed Capta asked for comments from winners. Sorry mate. I couldn't win a chook raffle.
And you believe that anybody on this board will understand a "chook raffle"? OK I did so maybe there are some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 09-20-2013

windarra44 is on a distinguished road

So i'm just guessing here........winning the jackpot of a Chook raffle would allow one to purchase an AC 72?

Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, cinco, seis
Dexter Holland
Old 09-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

You win a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-20-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I am not a racer, and haven't been in nearly half a century, but just exactly is wrong with my scenario, seriously.
Its match racing. You dont have to do the course fast. Just be in front of the other boat.

Match racing is a skill very different from normal racing... a bit like the difference between snooker and billiards (not I didnt even mention 8 ball pool!)

In the 470s, small Olympic class skiffs the start the race by bashing the crap out of each other behind the start line, even though the race may already have started, they dont care they just keep going in tight circles hitting each other. Bizzare to watch.

Carl's Sail Calculator now at
Old 09-20-2013

windarra44 is on a distinguished road

I'd take this Chicken!!

Couldn't get pic to post

I helped deliver her back from Cabo years ago.....one sweet ride!

Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, cinco, seis
Dexter Holland

Last edited by tdw; 09-20-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Where you you be without me Windy ?
Old 09-20-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Thanks 44.

Bob's Blog ....