Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you believe in miracles???

Next time the course should be: a beat out to the Light Bucket - run to Alcatraz - reach to the finish off of The Embarcadero (and no pu$$y wind limits). The AC72s were pretty cool, but let's see some boats that can take real SF Bay conditions, and races that aren't won or lost on a single error.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Well, Uncle Larry does have his own Hawaiian island...
Actually, not a bad idea. The original race was around an island.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 09-26-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Oracle 10 wins, 7 of those in a row. Kiwis 8 wins.

After NZ took the start and was ahead through the 2nd gate I thought it was over. In practically every other race, NZ either stayed even or gained on the 3rd leg. And then about 1/3 the way through, Oracle passes them and soon leaves them in their dust.

You have to be wondering what was going through the crew's mind on ETNZ when that happened.
bugger comes to mind
nolatom likes this.
Old 09-26-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
SF is definitely not a given...
It wasn't for this cup either. There was much hand wringing over where Ellison would defend. And LE certainly gains nothing by tipping his hand early. But I'd say that after this amazing event, San Francisco has a pretty good chance of being the next locale.
Old 09-26-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Ah yes of course, I'm just jealous.

All I'm saying is that it is hardly an "American Sailing Lesson" when the sailors are from everywhere BUT the USA! Even the American tactician was punted in favour of a Brit!

Don't worry, Americans still reign supreme in their ability to blow obscene amounts of money on a sport the American public doesn't give a crap about!
This from someone from a nation that wouldn't (or couldn't) field a challenge. Just another hater with Small Country Syndrome.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 09-26-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This from someone from a nation that wouldn't (or couldn't) field a challenge. Just another hater with Small Country Syndrome.
You are right in that Canada hasn't even tried field a challenger since..the '80s? (I believe we had 2 that time) I don't really care that we don't try to participate because I recognize that Canadians just aren't interested in yacht racing. At the same time, of course I am routing for the small country that IS passionate about sailing, and is the underdog from the beginning because they don't have the deep pockets. It has nothing to do with being a hater, or being envious of the USA. (I wouldn't trade countries for anything!)

I just don't think that it is appropriate to try to attach national pride to a syndicate that has very little American content in their program. Team Oracle is not a shining example of US sailing prowess, it is just a demonstration of US wealth. If anything they should be ashamed that they turned their backs on so Many talented American sailors, builders engineers etc. But they won the cup with an American flag on the boat, and that's all that matters, right?

If you want to make it a truly nation vs nation competition then there has to be citizenship requirements. Maybe even require that the boats be built in their home country.

Right now it is syndicate vs syndicate, and the flag they sail under is irrelevant.
Hull#101
Old 09-26-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It wasn't for this cup either. There was much hand wringing over where Ellison would defend. And LE certainly gains nothing by tipping his hand early. But I'd say that after this amazing event, San Francisco has a pretty good chance of being the next locale.
Since I started following the AC back in the 70's, I always felt the unpredictable winds were the downfall. I remember some races where it looked like they weren't even moving. That was bad back then but today, when everyone expects everything yesterday, it would kill any possibility of a sizable fan following.

And where on the shores of this country can you get better wind conditions than we saw in this last Cup? If they don't pick SF, wherever they do pick had better have consistent and good winds or they could lose a lot of the fans they just gained. But first, they have to figure out how to keep these fans during the long wait until the series begins again.
Old 09-27-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
American sailing lesson? You do realize there is only one American on the boat right?
Well they still had to call it Team USA cuz Team " Whatever We Happen To Have on Board At The Time" was too long
Old 09-27-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Amazing On all fronts! From the materials the boats and sails are made of, to the engineering, designers and engineers who created these machines, to the technology used to televise it, to the venue, to the capabilities of the crews, to the capabilities of the "boats", to the vision of the winning owner, to the unbelievable outcome!!! WOW! WOW! WOW!

When can I buy a mast with a hinge to make it possible for my wing sail to lay flat, out of the wind when my boat is on its mooring? The future of sailing has changed!! What we all witnessed this past couple of weeks was "impossible" within recent memory. I have to wonder what the "magicians" are working on today!

Down
Old 09-29-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Well they still had to call it Team USA cuz Team " Whatever We Happen To Have on Board At The Time" was too long
They say a picture is worth 1000 words..

...and, especially for those of us who remember 1983, this would have to be the best summary of the AC saga I've seen to date:

(Cartoonist: Mark Knight for the Herald Sun)

Seems like there's more than one way to win the Cup for Auld Oz.

Last edited by Classic30; 09-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.