Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
AC 35 Challenger of Record

So the Land of Oz is back in the game.

America's Cup: Bob Oatley and Hamilton Island Yacht Club have challenge accepted for next Cup - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Hamilton Island Yacht Club (aka Rob Oakley owner of both Hamilton Island, Wild Oats x1 and the Oatley wine empire ) have been accepted as the challenger of record.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Re: AC 35 Challenger of Record

Let's hope Ellison brings boats back into the game and not those jets again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 09-30-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That was quick... and interesting.

Not sure the venue can return to monos and keep the 'new' spectator field, nor the raw excitement. I did not expect to get as wrapped up in it as I was.. do still miss the true downwind work, though.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-30-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Here's a bit more about it..

Australia challenges for America's Cup and a share of the venue

I imagine Mr Oatley is trying to capitalise on the recent success of the Aussie crew and hope to, yet again, bring the Auld Mug this way. Good luck to him, I say!
Old 09-30-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

In all honesty I couldn't give a tinkers damn but one thing fills me with dread ... Oatley's media manager is that utter knobhead Rob Mundle.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 10-01-2013

sailwatcher is on a distinguished road

Nice to see the momentum for 35 starting right immediately. I don't know anything about WS Islands, but their largest locality appears to be only 10,000. I guess the area is around the Reef. I'm somewhat concerned about the enviropolitical ramifications of this. But I'm not an extremist nor Australian, so I don't know that scene.

It just seems like a bigger city, like Sydney, would be infrastructurally better.

I'm glad to see that they're saying they want to cut expenses, but I wonder how that's really going to go. Definitely don't want to go the one-design route.

Smaller and foiling. All I really want.
Old 10-01-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
That was quick... and interesting.

Not sure the venue can return to monos and keep the 'new' spectator field, nor the raw excitement. I did not expect to get as wrapped up in it as I was.. do still miss the true downwind work, though.
Actually I don't think it was that quick. If I recall correctly, Artemis handed Oracle a challenge seconds (maybe minutes) after the trimaran crossed the finish line in Valencia. Up until Luna Rossa knocked them out of the Louis Vuitton they were the official challenger of record for AC34.

But it sure is interesting to see Australia back in the mix. Does this smack of nationalisation for the future?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-01-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Sydney ? Heaven forfend.

I'm thinking that should Oatley manage to win the thing then he'd be primarily relying on television and internet pod casting for the coverage. While Hamilton Island does not have the ability to handle tens of thousands of spectators it does host the Hamilton Island Race week each year and gets pretty good media coverage out of that. The coverage for an AC would be massive. I'm sure Oately can see the commercial possibilities for both HI and his wine business.

What's more if they time it right then the weather would be sublime.

Old 10-01-2013

sailwatcher is on a distinguished road

Sublime as in actually moderate? I'm American. Never been to Oz. But I stereotype the country is being blazing hot all the time. I'm sure I'm way off base, but I've never been.

Good points, though. Just because that area doesn't have the spectator infrastructure doesn't mean people won't tune in by other means aside from attending.

Ah, well. Back to watching water boil waiting for boat spec protocol. Very anxious to see how this ends up.
Old 10-01-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwatcher View Post
Sublime as in actually moderate? I'm American. Never been to Oz. But I stereotype the country is being blazing hot all the time. I'm sure I'm way off base, but I've never been.

Good points, though. Just because that area doesn't have the spectator infrastructure doesn't mean people won't tune in by other means aside from attending.

Ah, well. Back to watching water boil waiting for boat spec protocol. Very anxious to see how this ends up.

No, definitely not blazing hot all the time. Oz is of course so big that there are some pretty major climate variations but Queensland, up round Hamilton Island is essentially sub tropical. Definitely shorts and t-shirt weather but not Death Valley either. I have spent some time in Hawaii, I guess Qld is comparable.
sailwatcher likes this.