Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Wild race on Saturday during November storm

As in the America's Cup and one design, where boats might have some pretty defined limitations, it would seem to be the committee's mandate to make the call.

Most fleet/handicap racing leave it to the skipper. A couple of years back the Southern Straits race committee started a race in the face of a storm warning.. this is a long standing event with a good percentage of 'gear busters' over the years.. everyone knew the predictions and forecasts.. Some chose to start, others did not. As it happened conditions were worse than forecast, and at the end of day one, in view of several dismastings, mass retirements, and a dangerous swamping with 2 MOBs (thankfully recovered) the committee abandoned the race for the first time in the event's history..

At that point pretty well everyone had withdrawn except for a couple of boats that, IIRC, were 'training' for Vic Maui and Sydney Hobart.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Cheers for fixing my quote Faster - I don't seem to be able to use all the facilities available on the forum due to my computer.

I think we are on the same page regarding query on responsibility.
Old 11-07-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Sweet race... I'd be TOTALLY onboard with sailing in it! When the vid started I was like OK why wasn't anyone forward putting up a painter! Later in the vid with you guys surfing up a storm with barely a rag for a sail... I was like YEEEEEEAAAAAH, duly noted, no need for a jib!

Yep, responsibility is up to the skipper for sure, but I didn't see anything unsafe there. You guys rock!
Old 11-07-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

The race that was cancelled in Seattle was the last race for Duck Dodge. This is a non-handicapped mostly-fun beer can race where a big highlight is the raft up and sharing of drinks at the end. It was the right thing to cancel it when there were 50 knot gusts 3 hours before the race given the nature of this race and the boats involved.

They still had the after-party!
joyinPNW likes this.
Old 11-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Sweet race... I'd be TOTALLY onboard with sailing in it! When the vid started I was like OK why wasn't anyone forward putting up a painter! Later in the vid with you guys surfing up a storm with barely a rag for a sail... I was like YEEEEEEAAAAAH, duly noted, no need for a jib!

Yep, responsibility is up to the skipper for sure, but I didn't see anything unsafe there. You guys rock!
Close on the heels of the Straits race I referred to above, a Utube video was posted by a participating J109. It was a fascinating thing to watch. At first, kite up, boat surfing, smiles and high fives all around, maybe 20-22 knots of breeze and boat speed in the teens.. later, wind over 30 knots, mainsail only, a less exuberant crew.. later still, 50 knots plus, everyone looking pretty grim, hanging on as they fought to get into shelter at Nanaimo.. the transition from YEE HAW to 'oh Sh*t' to 'gemmeouttahere' was very apparent....
joyinPNW likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-07-2013
landofrainandgray

joyinPNW is on a distinguished road

It was a close call whether to go or not-the waters in this location are *relatively* protected and we've done so much work on the boat in the last year replacing halyards, new traveler, blocks, and adjustable backstay that it gave us a good op to try out our new systems.

Ultimately, it should be the skipper's call and the most disconcerting thing in those conditions is the thought of anyone going overboard. Water temp is around 50 degrees so you don't have much time to figure it out. We finally decided conditions had deteriorated enough that we dropped the sails and motored back. It's a judgment call, I suppose, but we were happy with the lessons and experiences we gained.
Folie a Deux