Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: New Safety Rules?

Try complying with the offshore regs for a Catagory 1 race:

http://www.bermudaoceanrace.com/imag...2014draft1.pdf

The race committees want more participants but the cost of compliance gets more burdensome. I'm getting ready to build my emergency rudder, added AIS, had a second manual bilge pump operable from the cabin already aboard, bought an EPIRB, rented a life raft, am borrowing SOLAS flares and an offshore medical kit ... Don't ask me to translate that to dollars!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

We figured that to go on the Newport-Bermuda race in our boat it would cost us about $15-$20,000 for required gear and equipment upgrades. In addition to other stuff that would also be good ideas (new halyards, sheets, blocks...) Not counting the entry fee, training sessions, or ancillary items like hotels, dockage and food in Newport, Hamilton, and in between. If you have to ask how much it costs, you must like NASCAR. I'm looking to crew for someone else if they have a spot.
Old 12-22-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

I could no longer imagine doing Newport-Bermuda on the current boat (Olson 30), mainly because of one thing- the requirement of meeting the stability index. I'd have to probably add a bulb to my keel, which would destroy my hopes of ever selling the boat to anyone planning on racing one-design. That, and I'd pretty much suck wind for all the inshore racing that we currently do. The only long distance race on the east coast (till now) that doesn't require it is the Bermuda 1-2. I quickly read through the list of recommendations, and there's no way I'd ever be in compliance with either SI for ocean racing, and the limit for coastal is not likely. I seriously hope they reconsider, but maybe I'm missing something??

Last edited by Irunbird; 12-22-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-22-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I used to ocationally compete with PHRF fleets in small boats. For those, only items 1,4 and 11 make any sense at all. Similar for one-design.

Exemptions for small (dingy) no engine craft? Clearly, it would depend on whether it was a small course with chase boats or a distance race.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Thomas Fleming Day insisted, “A noble art makes noble men, and there is no nobler art than seamanship.” - See more at: Why We Race - Newport Bermuda Race
Old 12-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The new electronics requirements seem unreasonable, in the abstract sense. But if you place them in context there have been a number of losses and investigations on the last 2-3 years and a lot of those have pointed at "Who? Where?" communications issues that could have easily been addressed, with lives saved, if these kind of regs had been in place. Is it appropriate to impose that burden for the sake of just a few lives, and the negative press that every death brings to the sport? Dunno.

What struck me more is that the cost of a Safety At Sea Seminar (I was at one of the very early ones when it was a Radical New Concept) has skyrocketed to MORE than the cost of the electronics they're requiring. Considering it used to be...what, $50 or $60 for the two day seminar, and maybe $600-800 for a GPS and VHF? And now the seminar and VHF+GPS are both matched at ~$250 or so?

Culture shock. Like paying $3.63 for a 28 cent gallon of gas. You tell me, which side of that picture is just wrong?
Old 12-27-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

The S&S seminars are still $50 in the SF Bay area. Where are you? Someone is making a killing....
piclarke likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 12-28-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

All of the USSailing safety at sea seminars (especially those with the ISAF certs) all charge at least $125. The ISAF cert at the Annapolis marine trades association costs a total of $325. I'm guessing it goes to pay for flying in speakers and the use of equipment and in-water training. I'm sure the facilities rental is not cheap, and there aren't thousands of people signing up.
piclarke likes this.
Old 12-28-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

USSA says about 1000 attend every year.
SAS Seminars
Given the requirements for % of crew and retaking, I'd expect more but apparently not.
I'd expect the $50 course today to be the four-hour shorty, the coastal class, rather than the full two-day hands-on?
And I won't even guess if they're using gen-you-whine-authorized repacks on the rafts.(G)
Old 12-29-2013

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
USSA says about 1000 attend every year.
SAS Seminars
Given the requirements for % of crew and retaking, I'd expect more but apparently not.
I'd expect the $50 course today to be the four-hour shorty, the coastal class, rather than the full two-day hands-on?
And I won't even guess if they're using gen-you-whine-authorized repacks on the rafts.(G)
The second day is optional. It's your money to spend however you choose
piclarke likes this.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38