Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2005

force4ormore is on a distinguished road
Sun Odessy 37

Hello, I am chartering a Sun Odessy 37 (whitesail) in St. Martin in March (Heinekin Race Week). I am looking for specifics on this boat including the following:

Instrumentation (what to expect above board)
Jibing angles (Polar diagrams)
Barber Hauling (when/how to do it)
Tips on heavy air trimming (how to work through the wind ranges for this boat)
Any other tips to sail this boat fast!

Thanks,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Sun Odessy 37

It appears that Sun Odessys may not get raced much? The best place to answer most of your questions may be your charter broker. He should be able to tell you what instruments there are aboard, and which ones work. (Things in the Caribbean can sometimes break, and there is this island mentality about not rushing around to fix them... ) Barber hauling? First, how old are the sails? If they''re baggy and blown out (quite possible on an older charter boat) a barber hauler may be the last thing you''d want, especially in a good breeze. Are there even extra snatch blocks and lines aboard you could use to rig up barber haulers? The ones I''d use on my boat would be the same ones I''d use for my spinnaker guys, and if you''re chartering whitesail... no spinnaker gear, eh? Better check with the broker.

Other than that, if it''s the good looking boat I think it is, the best advice may be to keep people and their gear OUT of the aft cabins and cockpit, and to center all possible weight right over the keel. I believe the keel may be cast iron, rather than lead, so it can use all the help it can get. If you can get the slot to create nice parallel leeches in both the main & jib, you''ll be headed in the right direction. It might be counter-productive to close off the slot too much; the boat is pretty heavy and won''t move if you starve it. Bon vent ŗ St.Martin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.