Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
First Race

I was visiting SoCal this week for work, and one of my co-workers invited me along a rail meat for his boat in a "Thirsty Thursday" race out of Dana Point. There were 7 "crew," though 4 did most of the work. The Santa Ana winds were blowing 20-25 steady, with gusts over 30. We flew a full main and 110% jib, and the boat loved it. They raced in 3 classes with a 5-minute staggered start. We were in B class, and were first through the start. On the upwind leg, we held that lead despite our boat not wanting to point as high as some of the others, and we actually closed in on some of the C class boats (they did a backward start). We spun around the mark and on the downwind leg the captain quickly had us wing-and-wing. We rigged a spinnaker pole to the jib (this was one of the few things that I actually helped with, other than being ballast to help offset some of the gusts), and the minute the pole was attached, the boat jumped to life. We actually moved into first place over all, and even eked out a nice bit of a lead. We turned around the mark and headed into the harbor to finish the race. It was a tough upwind beat, and the narrow channel meant that the poor crew in the cockpit were basically constantly grinding winches. Another boat almost beat us across the line (due to their better pointing ability), but the captain of our boat timed our last tack such that we were the stand-on vessel at a critical time, forcing them to go behind us, and we wound up finishing first in our class, and first over all.

Of course it was fun to be on the winning boat, but what was really interesting for me was observing sail shape, timing of tacks, how the start was handled and timed, and how the captain used the rules to his advantage.

I know many people recommend crewing on a race boat as a way of cutting your teeth. I'm still not 100% sure of that, but I will say that if you already understand the basics, it's a great way to learn.

More details and pics are in my blog, but I thought I'd share here too.

1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: First Race

Nice Jim!
Watch out! Racing can suck you in.
Racing usually gets me out on my boat at least once a week; sometimes both Weds & Sunday.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

20kt winds gusting to over 30? Really? Water looks like under 15kts (no white).
Boredop (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Wow, beautiful conditions. Racing is exciting, especially at the start and mark roundings, and will make you a better sailor.
Old 05-17-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Where I race we get an effect locally known as the "Shilshole Hurricane" or "Meadow Point Hurricane". The wind speed really picks up in one small region along the shore in the evenings. Since it is very localized there is little room for fetch and you can have high wind speeds in flat water.

The same thing can happen if the Puget Sound Convergence Zone is nearby. The winds split around the Olympic Mountains and rejoin. Where they converge you have a band of little wind, and on the north end of that band is a northerly, on the south end is a southerly. Last night I was out sailing and we passed through the convergence zone, it went from a 9 knot southerly to a 14 knot northerly in about the time that it took to drop the spinnaker.

I don't know anything about the region where JimGo was sailing, but it seems plausible that there were similarly localized effects.

I love getting out on race boats. I feel like I learn something every time. Be warned: it is dangerous for your sail budget to get used to good sails instead of the typical blown out rags found on most cruising boats.

Last edited by Alex W; 05-17-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-17-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Great story and great photos.
Intersting you dont know if racing can teach much.

Maybe its because you guys won. When your down the back of the fleet and everyone is charging past you then you start looking aloft to work out why.
As you pointed out you never know a rule till you lose, or win a race by it...
You never know how close you can go to a bouy till you race around one.
Cruising one looks at each line before they pull it... In a race it better be second nature to pull the right one without looking... You just know the boat better.
Racing can show you what the ability of a boat is, but cruising you can get by only knowing 50% of a boats capacity.

Theres lots that racing can show you, teach you, reinforce on you, resulting in more confidence by man on his boat.

And after racing cruising is just a more relaxing pleasure!

Mark
gamayun, jimgo and Cap'n Russ like this.

Old 05-17-2014

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Great pics! Looks like fun.
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 05-17-2014

capttb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Santa Anas, the wind is blowing directly offshore, no fetch, no chop.
Here's the races in 15kts. on a day with prevailing westerlys.
Attached Thumbnails
First Race-wd6.jpg   First Race-wd8.jpg   First Race-wd9.jpg  

Last edited by capttb; 05-17-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2014

paulk is on a distinguished road

Wish we were there! We'll be out next Wednesday night - hope the conditions are as nice as that!
Old 05-17-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Chuck, I agree, it looks surprisingly calm. I can only tell you what our boat's wind gauge said, and the stories from the other boats. Everyone was commenting on how much fun it was out there. I don't think they were telling "fish tales". But maybe I'm wrong.

Mark, you make some good points. I just wonder, if you've never been on a sailboat and don't know much about it, whether you'd really learn all that much your first time or two out. At least compared to being out in a small boat by yourself.

Paul, good luck!
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.