Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road
Re: Why do you race

I crew on a race boat for a few reasons:

1. There's no way I'm gonna motivate myself to go on a sail on my own boat when the weather's crappy and its getting dark out, even though I know I'm most likely going to enjoy myself anyway.

2. Sometimes I just don't want to deal with my own boat. If something breaks on the boat I crew on, it's no longer my headache after we're back at the dock. Plus, I won't have "docking anxiety" if the wind picks up to 20knts or more in the wrong direction.

3. You learn so much, even just subconsciously, by racing.

4. It's just FUN!!! I've been on some pretty close upwind duels recently and its GREAT!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2014

ovb is on a distinguished road

I have been racing on opb's for about 10 years and I am beginning to burn out...my competitive nature that at first was high now is all but gone and it seems that the rest of our crew feels the same....2 weeks ago we took the bullet and had 4 lengths on the second place boat and last week we voted on just going for a boat ride....we cracked open some beers and watched the cluster at the leeward mark....racers don't like to sail....its boat speed and sail trim all the time....
Old 06-04-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Wednesday nights a group of geriatric sailors, mostly cruisers, get on the club 420's and beat each other up around the marks. People get wet, boat's overturn, shouts of starboard, room, between friendly insults....it's amongst the funniest most entertaining events I've ever been involved in. And that's just at the YC bar

Arthritis is not compatible with roll tacking, trust me on this.

Does it make you a better sailor? Who cares! Do we take it seriously? We're laughing at each other too hard to tell.

Winner buys.
aelkin likes this.
Old 06-04-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovb View Post
I have been racing on opb's for about 10 years and I am beginning to burn out...my competitive nature that at first was high now is all but gone and it seems that the rest of our crew feels the same....2 weeks ago we took the bullet and had 4 lengths on the second place boat and last week we voted on just going for a boat ride....we cracked open some beers and watched the cluster at the leeward mark....racers don't like to sail....its boat speed and sail trim all the time....
It is true, that frequent racers sometimes lack the ability to unwind, and simply enjoy a daysail without trying to wring that last .0033 kts out of the boat.

I do not have that problem at all.

- When I race, I'm in it 100%.
- When I day sail, sometimes I do it with the intention of experimenting to find faster ways to sail, or more efficient tricks. Sometimes it's just for pleasure and I put Ray-Ray on the tiller and just watch the land slide by.
- When I cruise, it's all about visiting new places by boat, and exploring the town or the area, not about sail trim, and not about busting my cruising partner's ass about sail trim and that last .005 knots of boat speed.

I do use techniques learned from racing to keep my boat moving where others would give up and use the engine. I do use techniques from racing to reduce the distance I might have to sail, in order to arrive before sundown or before inclement weather arrives.
Sabreman, gamayun and Cap'n Russ like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-04-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I do use techniques learned from racing to keep my boat moving where others would give up and use the engine. I do use techniques from racing to reduce the distance I might have to sail, in order to arrive before sundown or before inclement weather arrives.
Good point.

Starting the engine isn't an option whilst racing, so you learn to drive the boat under sails alone under all kinds of interesting conditions that no normal person would chose to go out in. As a result, when you're out cruising and find yourself battling to windward off a lee shore, you're more likely to know how to do that successfully and in relative comfort (having done it countless times in race mode) than the guy who instinctively drops all sail as the wind comes on the nose, starts his engine, has it fail on him due to fuel blockage from the crud stirred up in his tanks, and winds up on the beach... and in the local newspaper.
Sabreman likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 06-04-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2014

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

To expand on the seamanship aspect a bit, racing is for the most part experienced in whatever conditions prevail. So in general, we move out of our comfort zones regularly. And that's always good.

In one overnight race, we had everything from dead calm to 3 squalls. And I'm far more comfortable sailing all night upwind on a double reef in 25+ kts.
CBinRI likes this.
Old 06-05-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

I pay a lot of money for my sailboat. So, its a way to use the boat and get something for that investment. That, and its fun.
Old 06-05-2014

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
In one overnight race, we had everything from dead calm to 3 squalls. And I'm far more comfortable sailing all night upwind on a double reef in 25+ kts.
+1. As a newbie, the confidence factor has increased exponentially because I sometimes race in uncomfortable (but still safe) conditions that I wouldn't otherwise go out in with friends -- rain all day and I find out how well my foulies hold up; doing a race single-handed and I know exactly under what circumstances I can get over-powered; wind dies out near the islands and I can see how strong eddies will mess up rudder response. Not sure I'd have gotten these same experiences with extra hands, sunny days, and casual sails.
CBinRI and Classic30 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

s/v Kynntana
Freedom 38
Old 06-06-2014

rbrasi is on a distinguished road

I race my boat because the crew brings the beer of my choice.
Old 06-06-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
I race my boat because the crew brings the beer of my choice.
Sounds like a good enough reason to me..

...although I prefer them to bring the nibbles also - and then pay "Crew Tax" after every race to cover stuff they break or lose overboard.