Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2014
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road
34'Bene vs Columbia 9.6 meter...who's gonna win ??

Just for fun . I'm being baited by 2 guys both with 34' Bene's . They're sailing normal working jibs....I'm sailing a genoa . Feel pretty sure their strategy will be doing everything they can to bury rails & ship green water . Mine will be to keep my boat more up on it's pins not exceeding 15 degrees of heel max . Typically 10-15 knot winds here. So whos' gonna win folks ???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: 34'Bene vs Columbia 9.6 meter...who's gonna win ??

While you have not said, which model 34 foot Beneteau your friends have I would assume they are sailing Beneteau 345's rather than much newer Beneteau Oceanis 34's. I have actually raced on both of these, but probably a decade apart.

In a general sense, under PHRF a Beneteau 345 rates over a minute a mile faster than the 9.6, and 345's have a pretty easy time sailing to their ratings. By the same token, the 9.6's have never had an easy time sailing to thier ratings. On the upwind legs, flying a working jib on a 345 without crew weight on the rail would be the right sail up for 10-12 knots of wind. A 9.6 with a full sized genoa would have too much sail up and so would probably be heeled more, and the 9.6 does not tollerate large heel angles without losing speed. With that in mind, in 10-12 knots of wind, the Beneteaus should be much faster upwind. They can point higher, have a better ability to stand up to their sail plan, and have better speed through the water.

Where the 9.6 with a full genoa may do a little better is on deep reaches and runs. The 345's depended on big headsails (or chutes) deep reaching or running, and they may not have enough horsepower with a working jib. If the 345 skippers know their stuff, they will probably not try to run dead down wind, but would heat up a little to fill their sails and generate more apparent wind. That tactic won't work as well for the 9.6's. If they do heat up just a little, they will probably clean your clock downwind and reaching as well.

Your only hope of beating them boat for boat is if they are not very good sailors and you are a very good sailor.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-16-2014
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

early 80's Bene's if that makes a difference & I'm old....they're young....I count that as an advantage....make any difference......not familiar with these boats at all
Old 06-16-2014

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjango View Post
early 80's Bene's if that makes a difference & I'm old....they're young....I count that as an advantage....make any difference......not familiar with these boats at all
From your description, its hard to say precisely which model they have. In the early 1980's there was a Benteau First 35 that was later replaced by the 345. My guess is that these were 345's since that was much more common design than the earlier 35 and you are describing these as 34 footers. The 345 was an exceptional boat for that era. They sailed well on almost all points of sail, were quite fast and reasonably easy to handle. They were actually quite well constructed.

Comparing the two boats, they are three feet longer than your boat, have roughly 4.4 feet more water line length. The 345's are 500 lbs lighter, but with the same ballast as the 9.6 but carried deeper (that is somewhat offset by the 345's cast iron ballast, but that gets offset towards them by your encapsulated ballast. They carry 60 square feet more sail area in their standing rig and have a more efficient keel and rudder. They have an L/D that is roughly 160 less than yours, and an SA/D that is 1.5 higher than yours. They have a hullform which should produce less wake and more effective waterline length when heeled (as a proportion of water line length) than the 9.6.

In other words, you will need to be one heck of a sailor to beat those guys. Especially if the winds are 10-12 knots.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-16-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

It really does
I guess the only thing depends on what model it is, how much time they give you! Of course if you have brand new laminate sails, and they have baggy Dacron it might be even.

Quote:
PHRF New England ratings:

BENETEAU CLASS 10 102
BENETEAU 345 TM 120
BENETEAU OCEANIS 350 WK 162
COLUMBIA 9.6 186
Though skill can make up for some, that is counting on them being really bad sailors!
Old 06-16-2014

sonosail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
It really does
I guess the only thing depends on what model it is, how much time they give you! Of course if you have brand new laminate sails, and they have baggy Dacron it might be even.

Though skill can make up for some, that is counting on them being really bad sailors!
These boats were actually sold as the FIRST 345 (in US and Europe)
The earlier FIRST 35 (based on a 3/4 ton design) was also advertised as the BENETEAU R/C 35. (most of the ones shipped to the US had taller rigs than the standard.)
Then there was the FIRST CLASS 12.
It is somewhat frustrating to see the PHRF folks listing them in such an inconsistent manner. (although I admit I'm probably one of a very few people that cares about such a thing. plus, I'm over it.!)

Old 06-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosail View Post
These boats were actually sold as the FIRST 345 (in US and Europe)
The earlier FIRST 35 (based on a 3/4 ton design) was also advertised as the BENETEAU R/C 35. (most of the ones shipped to the US had taller rigs than the standard.)
Then there was the FIRST CLASS 12.
It is somewhat frustrating to see the PHRF folks listing them in such an inconsistent manner. (although I admit I'm probably one of a very few people that cares about such a thing. plus, I'm over it.!)
Most of the PHRF listings drop the word 'First' from the description to save space unless there are two models with the same designation. They do write out First Class 10 to distinguish the FC 10 from the F 10R. I have not seen how they handle the First Class 12 but then again there on only two or three of them in North America.

Old 06-16-2014

sonosail is on a distinguished road

calling it
BENETEAU 345
instead of
FIRST 345
saves space?

Old 06-16-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
calling it
BENETEAU 345
instead of
FIRST 345
saves space?
Well it is a Beneteau so it would be Beneteau First 345. So it does save 6 spaces.

They are really nice boats though.
Old 06-16-2014

Quote:
calling it
BENETEAU 345
instead of
FIRST 345
saves space?
Of course not. But since most PHRF lists start with the MFR name so that they can autosort, calling it a BENETEAU 345 instead of a BENETEAU FIRST 345 does save space. And for the record, they were in the next booth at the Annapolis show to the Laser 28 booth that I was working when these were new boats and at least according to the literature and the salesmen of the day, they were sold as BENETEAU FIRST 345's with the Beneteau logo in the stripe on the cabin side and the First 345 cut into the stripes below the rail.

I know for some folks this gets confusing because for some reason places like Sailboat Data have it screwed up and don't list them as Beneteau Firsts or Beneteau Oceanis, or Beneteau Idyles, but the actual literature on the Beneteau Firsts are quite clear in calling them Beneteau (written in cursive across the block print of the model names.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-16-2014 at 03:13 PM.