SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Racing on Lake Erie

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nzangerle 
#1 ·
I''m probably moving my small Hunter (18.5) to the western end of Lake Erie for the 2001 sailing season, and would like to get started racing. I''m not a very experienced sailor, though I''ve had the boat for a few years, and have never raced. I wonder if anyone on the list sails and/or races in the Sandusky Bay area, or around the islands on the western side of Lake Erie. How would I get started racing? Would I find a class for my boat? I don''t mind finishing last, and figure that the best way to become a better sailor is by sailing, and specifically by racing! Any thoughts from anyone out there would be appreciated.
Thanks for your comments.
Peter, S/V Katy Kaye

#2 ·
Suggest that you contact Sandusky Sailing Club -- THE club for racing on the Bay. Also check out the Inter-Lake Yachting Association (don''t know website - but could find thru US Sailing). They will have a list of member clubs and will give you leads on where all the racing programs are on the western end. Vermilion Boat Club also has a local racing program.

SSC is a member-operated club, no staff, so you won''t always get someone to answer the phone, but I''m sure you can leave a message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.