Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2001

tmdata is on a distinguished road
buying boat for PHRF racing

Would also recommend a Capri 25. Have had mine for 8 years, one of the last ones build in 1986. Races well to its rating here (173) vs J24 (172) vs Merit 25 (169). Trophied in every regatta we entered last year. Picked up PHRF overall for 2000.

We get light air in the mountains and the full masthead rig is great in light air. Heavy air requires a quick head sail change to 135% at about 15 knots but it''s wide beam seems to help keep its feet and makes for good cabin room but no head room.

Capri website at www.wyc.org/capri25/ Many boats listed. Have seen prices from $5k to 12k
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2001

lefty is on a distinguished road

I looked at the Capri 25 and like what they do in our area (southern Chesapeake Bay). We get a lot of light wind days in the summer and they are tough to beat. I also like the fact that there are several of them sailing here already, so there would be some good boat for boat competition.

I saw a post above indicating that these boats may need structural repair at shroud and bulkhead attachment points. Has your boat required this work? If so, is it a doit yourself project? What type of cost is involved?

BTW where do you race?

Thanks for the reply.

Bill
Old 01-06-2001

tmdata is on a distinguished road

I have not found any structural repairs necessary over the 8+ years I have had the boat (other than racer/skipper inflected).

The boat has a few gel cracks at the cockpit seat to bulkhed area. The main chainplates at the mast come through the deck and bolt to a marine ply bulkhead. These need to be maintained, tighten and checked or they will work. I keep the mast pretty taut and main shrouds with a good pre-bend. Any mast play,bounce, could aggrevate this support connection.

I sail out of Denver and travel 1,000+ miles to 8 regattas a year in Colo, Wyo and Neb. Alot of rigging and tuning. The air is a little tiner at 5200'' to 10,000'' elevation, which mean I can carry the 155% up to about 16-18 knots at times.