Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
spinnaker packing

hi, sorry in advance for the dumb question, but can someone tell me or refer me to a link which can explain, following a douse, how to quickly pack a spinnaker so its ready to go up and not get all tangled up. we seem to be having problems w/ this so i ve come seeking advise!
thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm assuming that you're talking about a symmetrical spinnaker, which is different than an asym.

1) Gather up the foot of the sail (usually the edge with the white border) until you reach the two clews.

2) Stuff the foot into the bag, leaving the two clews outside the bag.

3) Gather up the two leeches (they usually have different colored borders) and stuff them into the bag along with the middle of the sail. Be careful not to let the two leeches cross each other or the sail will come out twisted.

4) When you reach the head of the sail cover the bag with the lid, leaving all three corners of the sail outside. This allows you to attach the sheets and halyard to the sail without removing it from its bag.

The two clews can be easily identified from the color of the tapes on them, as can the head of the spinnaker, since only it will have the two colored tapes. BTW, I usually use a piece of small stuff to tie the three corners together if the chute is going to be stored for a while. Helps prevent the chute from getting tangled up when you move the bag around.

To raise the chute... attach the sheets and guys to the two clews, and then attach the halyard to the head... start pulling the sheet that is going around the forestay out, and then hoist it... It should deploy quite nicely, if you've done this right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-07-2007

mrkeith is on a distinguished road
assymetrics are packed differently?
Old 03-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeith
hi, sorry in advance for the dumb question, but can someone tell me or refer me to a link which can explain, following a douse, how to quickly pack a spinnaker so its ready to go up and not get all tangled up. we seem to be having problems w/ this so i ve come seeking advise!
thank you
(My English might not work because I don’t know the names of the ends of the spinnaker)

Lets see…

You can have several possibilities, depending on how and what you want to do.

One is leave it on deck, (after you hoisted it first time) against the life lines, tied with elastic ropes. This is if you are using it often, such as in match race or such. You will need to leave it ready to launch, by keeping the sheets clear and towards the rear and the halyard end forward, so you can hoist it later, depending on your tack. As its coming down, you bring the 2 sheets together in the rear, on the side you’re keeping it tied. Pull down the spi holding it under your arms and between you and the life lines as you lower it, (do it fast) the halyard will come down and keep it forward.

If you have a bag pull the spi down by its middle and push it inside the bag, keeping the halyard end and sheet ends outside.

Other is having someone inside the boat, in the forward compartment, and as you bring the spi down, you pull from the middle of the spi, so that the halyard end and the sheet ends stay out of the hatch (the hatch for this must have nothing you might catch the spi.

Another solution is a ATN sock that you hoist and is really fool proof.

Also a good thing is write with marker wich end is which.

I have one side of my spinanakers with green edge for Stbd, and red edge for port..on all of them.. and names of what goes where, to help the forward idiots getting it right.
Old 03-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Who told you that??

No...assymetrics are the same, however some are on a furllers such as I have, (but I don't use mine for the spi I use it for the cruising genoa), a code zero furler, and some are just fixed at the end of a bow pole or the bow fixing point. Some are fixed straight some use a rope. depends.

The principle is the same. If you have the end of your assymetric on a pole you will have a cable that pulls the spi down or up as you might need, you need to release this when bringing the spy down...the difference is that end stays towards the bow with the halyard end, but underneath it. Not to the back like the symetrical.

The rest is the same. Man its hard to explain without the names...

Last edited by Giulietta; 03-07-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
No, they're not necessarily packed differently, but hoisting one and dousing one is generally done slightly differently, since they are generally flown with the tack attached to a tack hook, like a jib is rigged, rather than with sheets and guys on both ends of the foot.

Things to watch for:

1) Make sure the head is attached to the halyard...not one of the clews...
2) Make sure the halyard leads fair and isn't wrapped around the forestay.
3) Make sure the sheets and guys for the side opposite where you've set the spinnaker bag up go around the outside of any stays and shrouds.

Spinnaker socks and dousing covers make packing, launching and dousing the spinnaker much simpler... and are generally worth getting if you're going to be using one a lot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-07-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Giulietta, don't let the Bow hear ya call them an idiot, this coming from a bowman. When was the last time YOU did bow in a race? Just drive the damned boat!
Old 03-07-2007

My last bow was in 1989 in a Star...and the "idiot" thing was a joke...because my bows read this, too!!! Long story...

Not to offend any one in particular...sorry....I was joking.

Where do you bow??
Old 03-07-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
thank you
What kind of boat are you on? If it is a smallish fractional racer, (eg, T bird, Kirby 25 etc) the following really works well.

Hoist and douse the chute from and into a bag hung in the companionway. Leave the sheets and halyard attached at all times. Douse the sail under the boom into the bag, just grab the sheet, blow the guy, gather the foot and stuff it in the bag as the halyard is eased. When you need it again, it will come out of the bag cleanly each time, (no "repacking" required!) hoisting out under the boom as you pull on the guy.

This calls for some pre planning, especially if you are not comfortable with windward takedowns or sets, so that everything is on the correct side for your next rounding/hoist.

This can require longer sheets, as the guy has to go all the way back to the companionway, and some velcro straps to trap the sail in the bag so it doesn't pop out at inconvenient times (from wind drag on the halyard, for example.

Also watch for hangups on the shrouds, and that the hoisting sail doesn't get trapped between the main and the spreaders if the mainsail is already eased.

The method does not work so well with large overlapping genoas, with larger spinnakers, or on masthead rigs on boats over say 30 feet.
Old 03-07-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I last did bow on a Catalina 38 locally. We flew this 54' spin that made for a wild ride downwind in that old IOR hull. The last time I was on that boat, I was driving downwind in 20 knots with that chute up at 8.8 knots. Talk about a wild squirrely ride! I did manage to keep it from death rolling until the bridle broke. The owner pulled the boat from the series shortly thereafter. I do remember one race where we had a scratch crew in 15 knots where the trimmer pulled the chute around to starboard by mistake. So here we are, pounding along DW on a Port tack looking at the chute which is about abeam of the mast with the driver hollering "whoa Whoa WHOA!" I turned around and yelled "Whoa what? Just drive the damned boat!" He went down, we eased the sheet and got back under the spin with no drama. Jeesh, drivers....