Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road
Re: tacking angle

As we said several years ago, each boat responds differently to different conditions, and optimum trim will vary according the the boat, the conditions, the crew, and the skipper. Everybody's right at some point. Whoever wins the race is right more often.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

As stated by others, the answer to the original question really depends on the boat, the sea state, etc. Typically in light air you wouldn't be TRYING to point as high as possible, at least not until you have built up some boatspeed.

The boat's keel design is a large determining factor. My current boat has a pretty conventional deep fin keel with a pretty big chord length, (the fore-aft measurement) which makes it very forgiving. It will start to develop enough lift to start to point at relatively low speeds. In higher wind ranges it points very high. My last boat, on the other hand, was a high performance racer with a very deep narrow chord fin with a bulb. That keel required much higher speeds in order to start generating lift. In lighter winds I could not even think about pointing with other boats in the fleet until I got moving.

As for shoal draft keels, there is just no way a shoal draft boat will be able to point as high as a deep draft keel. Two identical boats, one with shoal one with deep, and the deep draft boat would KILL the shoal up wind every time. The shoal draft just doesn't have the surface area to generate the lift.
Old 05-23-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
The shoal draft just doesn't have the surface area to generate the lift.
To be more accurate, the shoaler draft keel does not have the efficiency to generate equal lift to an equal-area, higher-aspect ratio, equal foil section, keel and the shoal keel will generate more drag if given a large enough area to provide equal lift at an equal speed. Drag of course is one of the big controlling elements in the ability to maximize VMG to windward at any particular wind and wave condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies