Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2000

dzipkin is on a distinguished road
Advice for breaking into racing

Hi All--

Looking for some advice here...

I''ve decided that I want to give racing a try. I''m a capable--but relatively new--sailor; I just returned from a month of small boat (20 ft Drascombe) costal sailing down in Baja, but I have little-to-no racing experience.

I''m looking for the best way to get out onto a racecourse soon. Anyone have any advice?

By the way, I live in Washington DC--about an hour from Annapolis.

Thanks.
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Hi Dave

I live in Annapolis and Annapolis is one of the easiest places to get aboard a boat. One easy way to find a boat to race on is to watch Spinsheet Magazine''s webpage http://www.spinsheet.com/

Every spring Spinsheet runs a sign up for people seeking crew and crew seeking boats. It is a pretty good way to get aboard a race boat. If its a breezy day you can walk down the dock before the Wednesday evening beeercan series at Annapolis Yacht Club, Harborside, or their annex and ask people if they need crew.

In the interim you might try to read as much as you can about sail trim and boatspeed issues and perhaps show up on the docks for the Sunday FrostBite series and try to get aboard a racer. You also might try to get aboard performance boast that are daysailing during the winter just to see how things are done.

If you email me your phone number I would be glad to give you call some weekend when I am going out for a daysail.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2000

chiefboomerang is on a distinguished road

dave, wed. night sailing in Annapolis- 100-
150 boats- bring a 12-pack, walk down a pier and ask.
Old 12-04-2000

lefty is on a distinguished road

You can also try the Washington Sailing Center off the Parkway (can''t remember the name of the Parkway but the marina is between Reagan Airport and Alexandria). They do PHRF racing on Tuesday nights starting around 5 or 5:30. Just walk down to the where the lift is and ask around. They have a skippers meeting before every race, where they try to hook up crew looking for rides with skippers looking for crew.

This does not compare with the Annapolis Wed Night racing, but it will get you on the water for an additional day.

I think they start sometime in May.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.