Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Centercase sealing

In the middle of doing some minor patch-ups to the hull following our recent holiday on the lakes, I noticed that the centercase is completely open at the base (around 2" wide by 4' long).

I remember from my dinghy days that the bottom of centercases are usually covered by rubber flaps to decrease drag - but then they were planing dinghies and the Hartley doesn't!

How significant is this likely to be? Would it be worthwhile finding and fitting something to close up the space for extra boat-speed??
Old 01-11-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
If you are racing the boat pictured, putting centerboard trunk flaps to cover the opening (and guide the flow of water around the centerboard when it's down) might add .000004 knots to your boatspeed. That is definitely not what you tell your competitors, however. To them, your very expensive teflon-coated speed-flaps increase your hull speed by introducing added unmeasured waterline length. (4' of centerboard trunk length with a flap on each side should equal an additional 8' of water-surface contact length. If speed varies as to the square root of the waterline length, this means your boat , with flaps, can now go almost three knots faster than it used to. THAT is the number to tell your competitor(s). Of course your helpful rating handicap official needs to be advised about this change to your hull as well. The increased drag caused by the large surface area of these heavy flaps will slow your boat so much that you may have to carry extra food and supplies (slowing the boat still further)in order to have them last until the end of your trips. He will have to let you know how much your rating will need to be changed to compensate for this. Perhaps 6 or 8 seconds per mile would be enough. All in all, installing flaps might make for a possibly quieter ride. If it's worth it to you, you should know from your dinghy experience that it's relatively simple to install flaps. There are probably a good many other things you could do to improve boatspeed that would be more productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2008
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
4 foot by 2 inches would be 96 square inches. This would be less then 2/3 of a square foot. The drag from the add on flaps would slow you down more then the added wetted surface could ever gain you.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Thanks guys for the detailed replies.

You are correct that it's an easy thing to do, since I could simply tack something either side of the centercase, but I had not given any thought to the possibility of it introducing more drag with no real corresponding change in boatspeed.

The centerplate doesn't make much (if any) noise now, so there's no real driver for it other than a reduction in turbulence from the aft section of casing, but at 5-6 knots hull speed??? - I'll cross that one off the list.
Old 01-16-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
A San Juan 21, made for many yrs near me, used a rubber flap on the bottom of the boat along the CB. I have to admit, I do not know how much speed etc it gained, But I am sure it is more than .000004 knots in any given wind! Then again, .000004 knots, over a certain distance, does add up to maybe 10-100 ft or yds/meters if the race is a few nautical miles in length..........So it could be worth it, if done correctly! Clark boat company was the manufacture, Good Old Boat has a write up this month on that company. i am sure if you googled San juan 21, You would find a assoc/class to figure out how that boat does the rubber flap, maybe find, buy one of them and shorten if need be........

Marty
Old 01-17-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Thanks, Marty - I'll have a look.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.