Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2008

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Sail Number Size and Placement

I've finally decided to do the Maryland Governor's Cup this year. I received a sail number and the rules say that I have to place it on both sides of each sail. Before I go through all the trouble of unbending the sails, laying laying them out, and adding the numbers, is there another alternative that's allowable? I've seen some boats in this race that put their numbers on the port & starboard lifelines. I don't plan to race much (this race, once a year?) so I'd hate to go through all the trouble for a one shot....

I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything related to number size (lots of other stuff, though....).
Old 04-26-2008
Baybilly

Spiritman is on a distinguished road
Sabreman,

I don't know about putting numbers on the lifelines, but as to size and placement on the sails:
Attached Thumbnails
Sail Number Size and Placement-picture078.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I assume that you went through the CBYRA to get US Sailing sail numbers assigned. Those numbers are technically called Offshore Handicap Sail Numbers. There is a prescribed set of requirements for size and placement and for which sails require numbers and which do not. The US sailing site says "For offshore boats handicap racing it is required that U.S. racing yachts carry US SAILING numbers on mainsails, spinnakers and each overlapping headsail having a luff perpendicular exceeding 130% of the base of the foretriangle. "Offshore" sail numbers may be required in any race that is not a one-design race."

There is a prescribed size relative to the luff of the mainsail and I was not able to find that on line. Any sail maker should be able to tell you the correct size for your boat.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008

Jeff - Yes, I got the numbers from CBYRA and went to the US Sailing site and saw the statement that you quoted. I also downloaded the rules and for my boat they should be 18". I'm just wondering if I ca display the numbers port & starboard along the lifelines - I've seen it before and wonder if there is an alternative. I think that I'll contact the race organizers.
Old 04-26-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
It's highly unlikely that will be acceptable. The point of the numbers is to identify your boat, particularly at the start and the finish. Numbers on the lifelines will be harder (impossible) to read at a crowded start and could well give you an advantage if you're OCS. If I was the race PRO I would not allow it.

Does your boat have any numbers on the sail? Often the sails list the hull number with your boat's make/model insignia. If so, just modify your PHRF certificate and register with the hull number, rather than those issued through USSA.

I have my hull number on my sails. In the photo below (yes, I'm in the back of this pack but I beat both of these boats during this regatta ), you'll notice my boat and the boat with the red chute both have the hull number displayed. The middle boat, another J/30, uses a USSA number.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
US Sailing requires numbers that can be read when the sails are down for offshore races. As far as I know, they are not allowed to be used at other times.

Jeff
Old 04-27-2008

maxmunger is on a distinguished road
CBYRA and PHRF have a whole new set of minimum boat reqquirements for bay races this year. They are ocean requirements on the bay. Must be a bunch of new lawyers on the bay.
Go to PHRF site for the (4P) list.

Most infrequent raacers only have numbers on the mainsail. Note in that one picture none of the spinnakers have numbers!

When you check in or finish just make sure your mainsail (numbers) are highly visible.
Old 04-27-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
For my gennekar, I took it to North who made my sails, a few days later, granted $100 out of my pocket later, the numbers were on it. For my main and 142, I need to replace these, so I am not too worried about those being numbered as of yet. But will have the numbers put on when I get new ones.

Of shore races, from the few I have seen, have numbers on the life lines and sails. but then not having done one of these, that may be that race requirement only etc. I could see in those cases, having numbers or some ID visable in more ways than one in case of a major catastrophe.

Marty
Old 04-27-2008

Thanks all - you've answered my question. I'll put my number on the Main and maybe the jib. All that's on the main now is the Sabre 398 insignia.
Old 04-28-2008

maxmunger is on a distinguished road
You can get the numbers at bacon Assoc for about $2.00 each and put them on yourself!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.