Ches. Bay, Older Boat Design Race - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-04-2008 Thread Starter
purveyor of mischief

Ches. Bay, Older Boat Design Race

i have tried every possible combination of words to get info on a race on the bay. all boats must have a hull design 25 years old or more to compete.(think that is the sole parameter)..i suspect older morgans, 70's vintage S&S tartans, and the like would compete (design on my boat is '79)
does anyone have a link or name of said regatta?
i think it is in early summer...June, perhaps?
anyway, i need dates to do the scheduling, find suitable crew and stuff.
help...

By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest,second is by imitation, which is easiest,third is by experience, which is the bitterest.

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2008
Baybilly

I think this might be what you're looking for:

Good Old Boat - Eighth Annual Good Old Boat Regatta
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2008 Thread Starter
purveyor of mischief

thanks much..i'm assuming this is what i heard about, although finding the 'rules' is a challenge.
so, next question; who has sailed in this event?

By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest,second is by imitation, which is easiest,third is by experience, which is the bitterest.

Sam
post #4 of 5 Old 05-05-2008

I think I did the Good Old Boat regatta perhaps five years ago on a Cal 25.

I have not seen the rules on how they define a good old boat. I think the limit was 25 years old. J-36's are nearly 30 years old, and early J-35's and Synergy are 25 years old, does that really qualify them? If so that would be truly scary.

There are some of the best out and out racers out there; guys like Jim Mumpert, and David Shiff are as good as they get, but there's also a lot of duffers out there as well.

Jeff
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2008 Thread Starter
purveyor of mischief

Turkey Shoot Hospice Regatta

well, this is the one.
2008 opening page

i have to decide whether to go up against some of the better race sailors around, or settle for a leisurely cruising race.
my competitive nature would push me to the first group and take my chances. last phrf rating (1990) was 171. a bit of tweaking has gotten some decent boat speed though.
anyway, i've got fresh clean sails, and a never raced 150% kevlar/mylar genoa, and a 700 sq ft asymm. for a production boat she's pretty quick.
biggest issue is race capable crew. spouse is a neophyte sailor, and although i have made the boat almost idiot proof (minus the skipper); running all strings to the cockpit, replacing worn cam cleats with spinlock clutches and labeling everything everywhere (hopefully now asking for the topping lift to be eased, won't result in the outhaul being released). if nothing else, everything critical, is now marked.
now i just need crew

Sam

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.