Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008

skyellab is on a distinguished road
The man from Elliott Bay Yacht Sales said that there was some type of bet on the wind last week and if this guy lost he would have to water ski between the boats at the start in a thong the next Thursday. He was talking to me on my boat and I thought he was kidding me. Just too strange but I guess they weren't pulling my leg. It happened.

And then the wind How crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyellab View Post
The man from Elliott Bay Yacht Sales said that there was some type of bet on the wind last week and if this guy lost he would have to water ski between the boats at the start in a thong the next Thursday. He was talking to me on my boat and I thought he was kidding me. Just too strange but I guess they weren't pulling my leg. It happened.

And then the wind How crazy!
It was a bet...ha ha sucker he was... I think the winds are looking up if the current weather pattern holds..This weekend and even today - around 7ish averaging 18 knots. In fact today and yesterday - evening sails, we had sustained 21 with up to 28 gusts... made for some interesting learning experiences, and nice wet decks (the lazy man's method of applying NOTHING (TM) to maintain slightly worn and well used teak decks... Let's hope that with this week's outing this trend continues...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-26-2008

titan151 is on a distinguished road
How was the wind last Thursday night (June 19)? I was out of town so I missed that race. Seems like last summer we had a lot of race nights with little or no wind (although I did miss a few as I was traveling for work-maybe 4 races out of the season). I recall going out on Wednesday night and Friday with good wind, but last year I don't recall a single race with good wind. I was out on Sunday evening (June 22) and had great winds while sailing a similar route. Out of town at the moment but looks like I will be at the race tomorrow so I am hoping for good wind. Either way I always have a good time, but I have no interest in motor racing.

I know the course always has slow points as you approach the city. I understand that it is part of racing (dealing with only minimal wind at times) but I really wish they would do something with the course route so we can stay away from some of those dead zones. Can you imagine if they flipped the course so we went out towards Bainbridge instead?

Either way I hope to see a lot of boats out tomorrow night, regardless of wind. At least the weather will be nice and we have some nice mid 80's temps for the weekend as well.

Also, how about the Poulbo 3rd of July Fireworks show. Been doing that for the past few years. Nothing is better then two fireworks shows in two days. If you have never been there before I strongly urge you check it out.

Last edited by titan151; 06-26-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2008

The wind picked up after the race last Thursday. Quite strong!
There should be lots of people tomorrow as good weather, no school, and winds should be about 10 to 15 knots at race time according to my weather prediction charts.

See ya out there or at SYC after!
Old 06-26-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Winds tonight are forecast at 10-20, they were that last night in Edmonds. A BIG handfull for my daughter and I! But we survived, and folks at a dock party after thought we were doing pretty good, little did they know.........hit the start bouy, so on 720, later a line for the genoa got caught, another tack and another line caught along with an uncontroled 360 gybe......not a good night! Oh well, life goes on!

Marty
Old 06-26-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Things get a bit more interesting when the breeze comes up and the loads rise don't they? It's one of the reasons I sail in nasty weather. The boat is a different animal when it hits the fan.
Old 06-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks for the photos...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
We missed the after party again!

But what a night of sailing! We ended up actually with a good mix of guys and gals thanks to Brian (although the whole evening I called him by every other name ).

Tactical error on my part at the start, as my intent was to fly the asym out, but noticed no-one else was so nixed it, but it took a bit to get the main up. So we lost five minutes. None the less we practiced some racing tactics along the way - the wind was constant for the whole course.

We ended up finishing last - I do believe - never checked the results that were posted. And we simply kept sailing.

No race next week....

Did you make it out there Marc?

S/V "
" -

Old 06-27-2008

Actually the party was just beginning when I came in. 9:00!!!!
I don't think you were last as I was behind you. Looked like you were having a nice time. We were angling to get some good shots of your boat with the camera but all of a sudden everyone was hungry on the other boats and couldn't get close enough to get anything good to give you. Wow what a turnout! 15 knot winds the whole time and I did not have a dead spot.

So yes I was there right next to you but I guess I did not stand out. It was a nice sail but tight at times. No crashes that I saw.

Fun!!!!
Old 06-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyellab View Post
Actually the party was just beginning when I came in. 9:00!!!!
I don't think you were last as I was behind you. Looked like you were having a nice time. We were angling to get some good shots of your boat with the camera but all of a sudden everyone was hungry on the other boats and couldn't get close enough to get anything good to give you. Wow what a turnout! 15 knot winds the whole time and I did not have a dead spot.

So yes I was there right next to you but I guess I did not stand out. It was a nice sail but tight at times. No crashes that I saw.

Fun!!!!

I think we shot behind you at the Pier 52 buoy (I think), sorry if I wasn't paying to much attention but I remember coming up behind you. But we were slicing behind everyone else so we could slingshot around the buoy. So, I was really concentrating on not hitting anyone ...and sadly I was out of batteries for picture taking myself...

Brian may have got some shots tho, as he brought his camera, and some point he was out and about taking shots...

There was a bump of two boats on the return leg, just behind me...but that was the only one I saw...Let's hope that when the races pick back up in two weeks we get more of the same and this wasn't the only race day with wind!

Glad to see you out there again!

S/V "
" -

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.