Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008

skyellab is on a distinguished road
Who was that greenish boat that got in front of me a few times? I posted it on the gallery. Do you know Jody?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyellab View Post
Who was that greenish boat that got in front of me a few times? I posted it on the gallery. Do you know Jody?

I'll check it out...

Nice pic Mucho Appreciated...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 06-28-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2008

I tried to e mail it but don't have a good direct mail to you.
Old 06-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyellab View Post
I tried to e mail it but don't have a good direct mail to you.

And that is ok - I think I mislabeled your number as well...as I tried calling you on Friday (Jody was in panic mode thinking no crew would show lol)...I'll pm you later in the weekend - wouldn't mind hooking up again and maybe being your guest for a change Hope you do not mind - but thats the first real picture of my boat so using it as the avatar for awhile - thanks again!

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 06-28-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2008

Oops is not a word - its a call to action. At least when sailing.

We should of started with the Asymmetrical, but decided to just do tacks off the wide reach and when possible wing to wing. The interesting part was crossing the pier 51 marker, as we slung right through 5 other boats. Should of heard the, "watch we are gonna hit" commotion from my friends on board. Then again being just inches away from other boats - I can see why panic to someone that doesn't race often - would be the emotion of the moment.

Calm as usual, and at the helm - I just tell them to relax a bit, "We are all professionals out here".

The rest of the race was full speed ahead, and less one stall while Brian was at the helm during a tack... everything was executed smartly. The finishing marker was rounded on position, and Greg - was actually amazed that I called it right on the money.

Per norm, the crew decides if we continue sailing - or head back in and go to the after party. I have yet, had a crew that wanted to dock after crossing the finish line. This evening was no different and off we go.

However, we ended up after doing the gybe to come about, the tack lines for the jib some how got wrapped up and in front of the furler. We come off point, and Brian and I, attempt to pull the sail around. But with 15 knots of wind, it wasn't going to be easy. So, I send Brian back to man the winch, and I decide to work it.

Thats when the big Oops moment occurs. With the jib now flogging, and a slight alteration of course by the helm, I had a split decision to make on what I saw coming. I prepared for the worst, and got knocked overboard.

Everything happening in a split second, my hands instinctively latch onto the life lines and in one swift moment legs swung back on deck. Brian immediately is back at the bow again, and I have him latch my safety tether before trying to drag me on board. Being secured, I get myself swung in under the lifelines, back on deck, and back to sailing as usual.

In hindsight, I think everything happened the way that it should have. Naturally - I could of been tethered in prior to working the jib - but it would resulted in the same result - but possibly a more catastrophic one. In other words, being knocked over or held in a position that a sail can wrap one into. And this is a rare occasion, that I would say that not being tethered, in was the right choice.

But, having a safety tether on person - was instrumental in getting back on board. Why? It immediately meant that control of the situation could be handled without any panic. If someone (like myself) lost my grip on the lifelines, etc.. at that point the MOB could be handled at a controlled pace. Remove panic from any emergency - 9 times out of ten, the emergency becomes nothing more than a task.

Lessons learned: Safety gear is useless if you are not wearing it, and a PFD only is not going to cut it when working the deck. When the tack lines get wrapped in front of the furler and the sail is mashed and twisted just bring roll the furler in. Its easier to manage and will get the lines back in position.

At any rate - it was all good.

Another thursday night race!

S/V "
" -

Old 07-11-2008

Well, quite a story Jody! I am glad everything worked out and safely!

On a note for all who read this list, Jody is the most safety minded boating person I have come in contact with. His presailing briefings and equipment for safety is second to non. He has a rule to be teathered if you go on the bow.

As far as man overboard drills, it is something we need to practice as I think most people wouldn't do well in the actual situation.

It is something that needs to be practiced and become second nature. I am going to spend some time this weekend and get used to actually doing the drill with my boat and having my family crew observe as I probably would be the one in the water.

I have been in the water quite a few times as a diver but have had a few accidental plunges and the water is COLD and you don't work well after a few minutes.
Old 07-12-2008

dp02840 is on a distinguished road
Hey jody, wondering if you need any crew for any races coming up? I have lots of race experience on small boats and a few summers on big boats. Let me know!

Thanks
Old 07-18-2008

We WON!!!

Not really, but we did grab a 2nd place drawing which won my boat a free haul out at CSR - which lines in place what I need to do with getting some holes popped in for ducers that I have.

Tonite was interesting. Started with Sky and I sharing some some happy hour bevs and food prior to the race. On his thread - his BB stuff, vacation plans etc - I really feel for what he is going through - beyond the fact he is just a really gracious guy to know..We did happy hour and naturally - he didn't want to do anything racing but my series goes on.

So, this race was the most interesting of all. We had Drew (whom requested in a previous post to crew), Ken and Kevin (a father and son team that I met at Palisades the night before), as well as Chris from North sails, and of course Brian - whom has always been part of the "Hello Gorgeous" team...

There are of course multiple parts of the story, and for once - I can say the crew was catered to reasonably well. Chris had his drinks of choice as well as everyone else, and everyone was catered too. In the lightest of airs we moved - and when I say moved - we made 1 knot apparent seem to be 5 knots.

I basically, turned the boat over to Chris - he is and was the most experienced person we had on board. Naturally you would expect that being that he is like the flagship person from North Sails that you would hope to find. Being smart enough to (and being self taught) realize sometimes - if you want the best out of what you have and know what will be best for your boat in terms of sails - swallow the pride and let things grock under someone way more experienced.

This night we rocked when everyone else was standing still. Wind maybe 1-5 knots... yet, we moved against the fleet, to the dismay of many. The bastardized cross cut sym to be a ad hoc asym.. tacking was our friend and under expert guidance - we made headway when no one else could.

While at the end - more motored than what was desired - (relaxed rules of sailing applies)... we did pull a 14th place which I can handle even if I doubt we did that.. but we only motored once for about 3 minutes..just enough to to grab wind.

The coolest portion of it was, Chris actually enjoyed the boat, and from wanting to order new sails - I can't stress enough - get the loft to come on board. Let them drive and direct and see what does what. My sails are tired and worn - to be expected. But under the right instruction - one learns quick at least how to make what you have work...

I also have to applaud the crew for taking direction and manning stations assigned, less Brian (per usual)..the whole new to me crew handled things like a dream. Mishaps were handled without panic and in the end we looked liked a well seasoned racing crew..It was awesome..

We ended up attending the after party, and we won the second place drawing. I divvied the bag things that came with prize to whom participated on the crewing to my best ability...And it was the first time that we had won anything.. ad-hoc or not..

All in all - it was a win win scenario. I actually experienced what we were able to do, I think we have some serious backing now - because "Hello Gorgeous" is not the atypical boat... I knew that buying her... and its a relief knowing a sail loft goes into it knowing what they can actually do to give us that boost..

And again, can't state how well everyone adapted to the boat - this was the first race that we did the shock and awe, with everyone watching idly by. Did I also mentioned the good luck charm as well?

We did well, come next season - I think we will be a real contender and I learned a heck of alot thanks to Chris being onboard and to myself for being smart enough to realize that I do not know it all...and far from it.. The best part was the rest of the fleet took notice of "Hello Gorgeous" tonite - something they never did before...

So, my hat is off to the crew that did an OUTSTANDING job, we did the best with what we had but moved and shaked - communication was the key, and I think everyone learned a heck of alot more about sailing tonite - I know I did..

It was just awesome... Thanks again to Chris at North Sails, Drew, Ken, Kevin, and my main man Brian - and of course to the young lady down below that fed and kept everyone content... tonite was what racing was all about as tonite is just an indication of what is to come...

Thanks to everyone that crewed, sincerely!

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 07-18-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What, no photos.. Bad jody...

Congratulations on the second place finish.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Good night of sailing Jody, Was thinking about you as I was leaving an apt near seattle center from planting trees all day!

We got a 5th overall out of 13 wed night, not sure how we did in the fleet as results have not come out, hopefully later today.

How many weeks are left, will have to get down there one night. Heading back toCrane later today, back wed in time to be RC boat in Edmonds.

Marty