Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
(Seattle) Downtown Sailing Series

Thursday Nite (tomorrow) marks the beginning of the weekly races. My crew needs to be there before 6:30 as my launch is at 6:30 sharp. You do not need to confirm if you sailed the Leukemia Race with me, just show up. I'll be on the boat all day and specifically 4:30 on. Call me if you forget the guest code.

I did get a chance to take her out Sunday and play around. For the bowmen - I am bringing my new asym that I never used on my C-27 - in case we have heavier than lite winds - but should work if we get any major wind (includes sock)...

If I get the chance tomorrow I will be adding some additional hardware as well. I have already made some adjustments - tho nothing mind breaking alarming. Most importantly installing line organizers in the cockpit. Labed or replaced labels on some gear. Stereo is not installed yet as its a major multi-media operation with the sirius and 12 video feeds that she'll end up supporting. This week I had to repair the Dutchman Flaking System, and get things organized. Perhaps if I am lucky I will have some of it done. 1/2 done on the renaming of the boat and that is the big ticket item for tomorrow for me at least.

For the Thursday nite races - I ask that you bring your own bevs and snacks. Grill(s) are installed now and will be the norm for my sailing adventures especially if no wind or on the downwind stretch but I have grilled heeled many times (its an art). Bottles are fine these events. If you insist on bringing a bev for the skipper - cheap wine, or micro brews and if you feel really generous good whiskey

Thanks for the follow-ups and for those that called thanks, for those that emailed sorry I have not gotten to you - just been swamped with eh life...Most importantly: We raised as a crew about 3K for the Leukemia Society - which is impressive all things considered. And my many thanks for making the first race of the series an event for me - it was a pleasure having each and every one of you aboard and look forward to your continuing involvement.

So lets get some sailing in - tomorrow actually may yield decent wind and most likely it will be light - maybe moderate if you believe those weather forecasters but we will move. Typically evenings are decent and not the lull we had previously.

I am welcome on taking anyone with whatever experience - just call if you have not been on my list.

More info on location etc - and if I do not have a billet there are plenty of spaces on other boats most likely. But I do leave at 6:30 sharp and do not wait unless informed well beforehand and I know that you won't delay me more than I desire.

EBM <- Link to marina event etc...

There is an after party at the sub station of Seattle Yacht club on premise. They run out of food quick tho - although if we have wind - we'll be the first to eat the goodies...yeah we can be that quick...

Jody

425-260-2669

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 06-12-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Race #2

Pictures to follow tomorrow as I have to do the resize on pics.

The Barberis is now properly named - which was todays effort. BTW - a razor blade and getting enough to pull old vinyl off did most of the trick. That Go-Be-Gone stuff - citris gunk remover worked really well. I did the BoatUs lettering and its way better than what was used...

Brian, Marc (from previous race), and friend of a friend - Bob - crewed.

Sidenote - Marc's boat is absolutely gorgeous. He allowed me to comb through it prior to the race, and secretly - can't wait to crew on his (don't let him know this). Maybe one of these races I'll port over all my BBQ grills to his and just relax in 0 to 2 knots to zero again, race conditions...

Hard to tell how we did on the start - I positioned it well but we got cut off by a larker and ended up having to work around a cluster-****. Asym got rigged and flown - and we did an impressive 1.5 - 2 knots up almost to buoy #1. Pics to prove it at least.

Everyone got a chance to get around to helming etc...But after marker #1 - the fleet all motored and we came to consensus to motor. 7+ knots under power - not to shabby. 15th overall although I kinda laugh at that as the only reason to motor is so not to have a DNF as a DNF doesn't get entered into the after party prize drawing.... we didn't get any prizes but had no problems with beverages.

It was a good lesson for me - I watched the usage of the pole (less Marty's boat - never flew that parachute in front of the boat before and Marty is poleless)... Saw some areas to watch for further rigging improvement. I particularly liked the comment that was made of "wow - first time I have sailed in a race and could rig it the way I would want"...

I am kinda laid back for the most part - the experience is not just for me, but for everyone. As I learn how to actually sail her - things will gradually change but for now I am content in letting things go with the flow...

Next week starts the BBQ - if you can not beat them upwind with -5 knots of wind then smoke them out. I think the Bev thing is handled (Thanks again Marc for the Japanese Micro)...

I also did two back up into the slips today. The latter one a bit more to handle but Marc was helpful in telling me what I needed to do. Which was much appreciated. I like the back in position as I can kick back in the Saloon and see the skyline and after that 100 mile walk to my boat - 20 feet less I have to wear myself out over...

Got pictures - will post them later tomorrow unless I am out sailing of course...

Brian - your doing well - thanks for hanging out...

Marc - we gotta get that beauty and family out on it

Lets hope next week has even more wind - today was at least sunny - warm and better wind for longer than last week...

S/V "
" -

Old 06-13-2008

skyellab is on a distinguished road
Cool

The energy of the event was more than I would have ever imagined. I heard lots about this. Have seen the great after parties from afar but being part of it was sort of unreal.

The light wind was fine as everyone was having a good time on all the boats. The people later on were laid back. I know for one that I had a action packed day full of excitement at work and would have never thought I had it in me to go out last night. Thanks to the gesture of sharing some Oriental beer I ended up being part of it. The whole atmosphere of the evening was something that I am glad I took part in.

Just think it is the beginning of the Series with 80% left.

Until next Thursday!
Thank you Jody!
Old 06-13-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Sounds cool Jody. Nice to see ya exercising the boat. I've got a double-handed 24 hr distance race coming up if we can get the certs in order on Jul 11-13. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-13-2008

Charlie - yep, she'll start getting alot of exercise now...and maybe me too while I am thinking of it . Good luck with that 24 hr race. I think come July, I'll be looking at doing something where there is somewhat constant wind as its hard to tell what she really does compared to other boats when racing against motors all the time!...

Pics are up - some of them at least in my member galleries on sailnet here..

Here is the new name on the boat (bit fuzzy I think).

Here is Marc minding the helm (actually do not know what he was minding but he seemed to be enjoying himself... kept muttering, "This excitement is wearing me out"...)

Here is Brian, you'd never know that he, and I quote - "The only sailboat I have ever been on is yours". Always actively part of handling...Thats him on the right and Bob on the left...

And yep - that is the asym up there - wahoo! David (or Marty!!!- see proof!

More in the galleries as this probably is long enough!

S/V "
" -

Old 06-16-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I tired using a pole on my rig memorial day, to do a wing on wing with the main one side, AS the other, spouse got tired of my fiddling, on went the motor to P Madison! grrrrrrrrr. Wind was a bit low about 5 knots when we left, got to 10-12 a mile or two later..

Any way, jody and daniel did get the AS up on my boat pretty good that day, yeah, a few misshaps, but what the hay, at least you two tried! any way.....

Hope things go well, one of these thursdays I'll pack my gear and come down for an evening sail. Just need to remember to bring them home fro my wed series stuff.

Marty
Old 06-16-2008

Marty, sorry I missed your call Friday...But yeah - that asym is a bit of a challenge on mine (but glad between last weeks race and playing with yours) it gave me enough to on Sunday (with crew) to fly mine. Course on mine we did it with the pole. Once up - it was a fun sail and easy to trim and tack. Next weekend I think I'll play around with setting a spinnaker since I have like 4 of them...

Thursday nights - I doubt I will be overloaded with crew. So, will probably have spares of gear onboard and if not I can get them fairly quickly - so if need be just come on down

BTW for anyone else in Seattle - read post #1 - if you want to go out...

I'll post the menu for food that will be served aboard for this weeks race, so no need to bring food unless you despise my menu choices (but bring your own bevs).

Cheers!

S/V "
" -

Old 06-16-2008

Marty, sorry I missed your call Friday...But yeah - that asym is a bit of a challenge on mine (but glad between last weeks race and playing with yours) it gave me enough to on Sunday (with crew) to fly mine. Course on mine we did it with the pole. Once up - it was a fun sail and easy to trim and tack. Next weekend I think I'll play around with setting a spinnaker since I have like 4 of them...

Thursday nights - I doubt I will be overloaded with crew. So, will probably have spares of gear onboard and if not I can get them fairly quickly - so if need be just come on down

BTW for anyone else in Seattle - read post #1 - if you want to go out...

Cheers!

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 06-17-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2008

Race #3

It began with me and Brian... no wind at the start. So we didn't dally around - Brian captained and we motored. Although, we ended up officially as 27th we were actually around the 11th to cross the finish.

Here is the kicker... just as we hit the finish line, there is wind. So, we hoist the sails and make a good 2 hours of sailing the race course as it should be done (which is why we probably landed 27th. as we sailed through the fleet of cruisers...under sail, and crossed the line many times )...Wind at 15-21 knots, gusts to 27 - and we actually had enough to wet the rails. Attended the after party kinda - most were gone by the time we got tied up. But, wouldn't of had it any other way, opportunity to unleash the girl on the wind or hang out in the hopes our boat name is drawn for the mystery prize? Unleash it is...... and oh yeah - stereo install complete -b kicking!

Next thursday is the next race before the 4th holiday (no race on the 3rd)...

See post #1 - if you'd like to join in...

S/V "
" -

Old 06-21-2008

Marc, saw your message the other day (apparently gone now ) - yeah that thong wearing skier, I agree must of either lost a bet or was prepping for the Freemont Solstice Parade or something... Glad you got yours out there!

Some pics from race #3

Railed wetted

Brian managing the helm with sails full and constant 16-21 knots of wind...

Heeled nicely... did I ever mention my vessel's name?

S/V "
" -

Last edited by artbyjody; 06-21-2008 at 09:27 PM.