Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
Skiff Racing

So with the Olympics upon us, it is quite inspiring watching the high performance trapeze dingys race.

I would love to try sailing a little on some of the high performance stuff.

Anyone have any experience doing so? I haven't found much in the way of fleets here in the Midwest. What type of boat might make sense? It looks like some of the more popular ones are I14, Vanguard Vector, Club 420, 470... any with the double trap look like they would be a kick to try. I haven't even found where I can purchase any of these new. I've come across a few used scattered throughout the country.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Epic-

You can buy most of them new HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-10-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
So with the Olympics upon us, it is quite inspiring watching the high performance trapeze dingys race.

I would love to try sailing a little on some of the high performance stuff.

Anyone have any experience doing so? I haven't found much in the way of fleets here in the Midwest. What type of boat might make sense? It looks like some of the more popular ones are I14, Vanguard Vector, Club 420, 470... any with the double trap look like they would be a kick to try. I haven't even found where I can purchase any of these new. I've come across a few used scattered throughout the country.
Epic, the first question is: Do you plan to do this on your own (one-up) or with someone else?? You answer will determine which classes you can and can't look at.

Of the classes you mention, 420's are popular and relatively tame, but if you never sailed on a high-performance dinghy before, I'd suggest finding a fleet nearby (usually sailing out of a yacht club someplace) and volunteer as crew for a bit. You'll need to buy a full-length sailing suit, lifejacket, wet boots and gloves and be very quick on your feet.

If you want to do it on your own, buy an old Moth, make sure it's a nice day and prepare to spend most of your time in the water!
Old 08-11-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Epic,

Here's a couple more sites to check out

Sailboats for Sale - Laser Performance, RS Sailboats, PS2000, McLaughlin Opti, Bic Sport and Tasar

International 505 Class Yacht Racing Association (I505CYRA)
Old 08-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Epic, the first question is: Do you plan to do this on your own (one-up) or with someone else?? You answer will determine which classes you can and can't look at.
It would probably be more fun to go swimming... er, sailing with someone else!

I've struggled to find many active fleets here in the Minnesota/Midwest area. Seems like we are dominated with scows mostly.
Old 08-12-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
those moths look like a lot of fun once you have figured it out. look at a 29er or a 49er if you want to double trap. to bad you werent in MA because you would have crew right here.
-kai
Old 08-12-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicAdventure View Post
It would probably be more fun to go swimming... er, sailing with someone else!

I've struggled to find many active fleets here in the Minnesota/Midwest area. Seems like we are dominated with scows mostly.
If people sail mainly scows in your area, there must be a reason. Maybe they're better suited to the weather conditions you get?? Dunno..

To sail (swim) with someone else, you'd need to work out who you'd sail with and who's the skipper. If you're learning, it'd probably be best to sail on one of the scows for a bit and pick up a few tips.. if you want to go it on your own, you need to find a crew who likes swimming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai34 View Post
those moths look like a lot of fun once you have figured it out. look at a 29er or a 49er if you want to double trap. to bad you werent in MA because you would have crew right here.
Like all skiffs, Moths are great fun, highly impractical as a boat and bloody hard work, but because they date quickly you can usually get an older one pretty cheap. The experience: Fleeting moments of sheer exhilaration whilst roaring along with your face inches from the wave-tops followed by high-speed impact with the water and an extended period of swimming.

Have you ever seen the price of a 29er or 49er lately?? Sheesh! Not for the beginner, let me tell you.
Old 08-13-2008

It looks like I can find two Moths out there. Are you talking about those little boats with a hydrofoil? Or there is something else that appears to be termed a "Classic Moth?"
Old 08-13-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
i think hes talking about the classic moth because those hydrofoil moths are NOT cheap, but they look like a lot of fun.
-kai
Old 08-13-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Yes, I was referring to the "Classic Moth" - The International Moth class is a "development class" that has ben around for a long time meaning that pretty much everything is fair game except the overall length, hence I'd have thought there'd be a few uncompetitive ones lying around that you could pick up dirt cheap.

The new, modern, "foilers" are extremely expensive, so you probably want one of those.. but if you did happen to get one I can guarantee it would be the most fun you could ever have on the water in something only 11' long...

International Moth Class Association of Australia » About

If you want to sail 2-up, maybe you're better off with a 12' skiff?? Still expensive, but cheaper than a 29er..

The Official Twelve Foot Skiff Website - home

Cameron