Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Racing
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road
Retiring After Finishing

This past weekend, I skippered my boat for the first time in a distance race on Lake Michigan. It was a 15 NM course with a gate half way. The sailing instructions stated that the finish would be at the gate if the finish was not crossed within the 6-hour time limit. There was a 5-hour time limit to reach the gate.

We had good wind at the start but the wind died. We made the gate within the 5-hour time limit as did three other boats in our division. Four boats in our division did not make it to the gate.

Two boats that made the gate ahead of us, retired from the race prior to the 6-hour time limit!

I am wondering if other racers could weigh in on how you think the scoring should have been calculated. Particularly, do the following apply?

Rule A4.2: A boat that did not start, did not finish, retired after finishing, or was disqualified shall be scored points for the finishing place one more than the number of boats entered in the series (again, there were 8 boats in our division).

Rule A6.1: If a boat is disqualified from a race or retires after finishing, each boat with a worse finishing place shall be moved up one place.

Should the two boats that retired been designated RAF (Retired After Finishing) according to Rule A11?

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
They dropped out before the race was over (6 hour limit). As such, I would not say that they retired after finishing. I would have scored them DNF, under A4.2.

However, how did they drop out? Did they actually call the RC and say they were retiring? Or did they alter course for home port, knowing that no one could finish within the 6 hour limit, and thereby let the limit expire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 09-08-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2008

In both cases, they called the race committee and said this is (Boat Name) and we are retiring from the race. They started their motors and headed for port.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 09-08-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
They quit the race before it was over at the 6 hour limit. DNF.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 09-08-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I agree with JP- If the instructions stated:
the finish would be at the gate if the finish was not crossed within the 6-hour time limit.
then the finish was only moved to the gate AFTER 6 hours had elapsed. Prior to that 6 hr. time limit, the finish was at the original location. The two boats should be DNF.
Old 09-08-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
What Chris does not mention because he is being polite is that the race commitee had their heads up their asses all day.

It was obvious from about the second hour that nobody was going to finish in the 6 hour time limit. Of the 75 or so boats that statred only two finished within the time frame. They should have shortened the race from the very beginning.

Also, he radioed the commitee and asked for clarification. We had passed the half way gate in the time frame allowed but it was obvious that we would not finish in 6 hours. The commitee boat stated that the race was still going and that if we started our engine "we" would be "disqulified." Well than why the hell did the two boats that radioed in and dropped out receive 2nd and 3rd place trophies? Why were they not disqualified? Thats the question.

It appears that they went back and took the times form the half way gate as the finish times regardless of weather you carried on to the end or dropped out.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 09-08-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-08-2008

What Chris also didn't mention is that Tim crewed on my boat for the race and he is a great sailor and it is a privilege to call him friend.

Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
Old 09-08-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Another in agreement for DNF, never seen this done but can you protest their trophies? Shame on them for accepting them...once you retire, you're out in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, if they officially pulled out before the 6 hour limit, they should not have been scored anything but DNF or RET.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-08-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
From the descriptions above, I'd have to agree the RC had a chronic case of cranialincerrectum.

Chris/Tim, get a room!